U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 AM

23,994 posts, read 10,876,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just made arrangements to meet my WTC "escape-mate" for lunch on the 11th. We usually meet at a restaurant across the street from the new age-y shop where they do the readings. We will probably go across the street and get one after lunch. Will let you know if anything interesting comes of it.
I was disappointed. I called the psychic that seems most well-known in this area, and although her website says she is here, she has moved to Florida. And I don't feel good about telephoned readings.

I will wait until a couple of mini-mini classes I'm taking this fall in a local adult ed continued learning program. A couple of them are being done by a local reader. I'll see if I'm impressed enough to plunk down some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM

374 posts, read 60,064 times
I've always believed that some people have real psychic powers. I've long been curious about the paranormal and supernatural, but after becoming a Christian a couple years ago, my interest in these topics has been renewed. I find the Christian worldview, which obviously includes belief in the supernatural, best describes reality and the various strange phenomena that people regularly experience. I've found that my new worldview provides answers to many questions about the paranormal and supernatural that I used to have no frame of reference for. The Bible supports the notion that psychics, ghosts, demon possession and familiar spirits are real.

This thread reminded me of the interesting story about King Saul visiting a psychic to ask advice, when the Philistine army was preparing to attack Israel. It shows how long people have believed in such powers.

King Saul was terrified when he learned that the Philistines were preparing for war with him. He prayed to God, asking what he should do, but God refused to answer him. In his desperation Saul instructed his aides to find a medium so he could ask advice about how he should prepare for war.

King Saul's aides found a medium in a nearby place called Endor. In disguise and under cover of the night, King Saul visited the psychic. She was understandably reluctant to help him because Saul had banned all mediums and wizards from the land of Israel, but he pleaded with her, “I’ve got to talk to a dead man, will you bring his spirit up?”

“Are you trying to get me killed?” the woman demanded. “You know that Saul has had all of the mediums and fortune-tellers executed. You’re spying on me!” After Saul eventually convinces her, the woman asked, “Well, whom do you want me to bring up?” Saul asked her to bring up Samuel. (Samuel was someone who Saul looked to for advice, but he was dead.)

When the woman saw Samuel, she screamed, “You’ve deceived me! You are Saul!”

“Don’t be frightened!” the king told her. “What do you see?”

“I see a specter coming up out of the earth,” she said.

“What does he look like?”

“He is an old man wrapped in a robe.”

Saul realized that it was Samuel and bowed low before him.

“Why have you disturbed me by bringing me back?” Samuel asked Saul.

“Because I am in deep trouble,” he replied. “The Philistines are at war with us, and God has left me and won’t reply by prophets or dreams; so I have called for you to ask you what to do.”

But Samuel replied, “Why ask me if the Lord has left you and has become your enemy? What’s more, the entire Israeli army will be routed and destroyed by the Philistines tomorrow, and you and your sons will be here with me.”

Saul fell on the ground, paralyzed with fright because of Samuel’s words.
-----

Old 09-07-2019, 01:55 PM

3,823 posts, read 1,350,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
The Bible supports the notion that psychics, ghosts, demon possession and familiar spirits are real.
The Bible does indeed support the notion that supernatural beings exist. Witches, for example.

Exodus 22:
18. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Little girls as young as eight or nine years old who were accused of "fornicating with Satan," had heavy weights placed on their legs "until the marrow spurted from their bones." The lucky women were garroted. The unlucky were burned at the stake.

Wikipedia
Witch Hunts
Execution statistics
The Witch Trial by William Powell Frith (1848).
Modern scholarly estimates place the total number of executions for witchcraft in the 300-year period of European witch-hunts in the five digits, mostly at roughly between 40,000 and 50,000, but some estimate there were 200,000 to 500,000 executed for witchcraft, and others estimated 1,000,000 or more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

Manifest ignorance is not necessarily a victimless act, you see.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM

3,114 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Quote:
The Bible does indeed support the notion that supernatural beings exist. Witches, for example.
or another example might be angels perhaps or even... burning bushes?

Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 PM

57,442 posts, read 55,656,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
or another example might be angels perhaps or even... burning bushes?
“Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.”

― Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

11,395 posts, read 2,989,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I've always believed that some people have real psychic powers. I've long been curious about the paranormal and supernatural, but after becoming a Christian a couple years ago, my interest in these topics has been renewed. I find the Christian worldview, which obviously includes belief in the supernatural, best describes reality and the various strange phenomena that people regularly experience. I've found that my new worldview provides answers to many questions about the paranormal and supernatural that I used to have no frame of reference for. The Bible supports the notion that psychics, ghosts, demon possession and familiar spirits are real.

This thread reminded me of the interesting story about King Saul visiting a psychic to ask advice, when the Philistine army was preparing to attack Israel. It shows how long people have believed in such powers.

King Saul was terrified when he learned that the Philistines were preparing for war with him. He prayed to God, asking what he should do, but God refused to answer him. In his desperation Saul instructed his aides to find a medium so he could ask advice about how he should prepare for war.

King Saul's aides found a medium in a nearby place called Endor. In disguise and under cover of the night, King Saul visited the psychic. She was understandably reluctant to help him because Saul had banned all mediums and wizards from the land of Israel, but he pleaded with her, “I’ve got to talk to a dead man, will you bring his spirit up?”

“Are you trying to get me killed?” the woman demanded. “You know that Saul has had all of the mediums and fortune-tellers executed. You’re spying on me!” After Saul eventually convinces her, the woman asked, “Well, whom do you want me to bring up?” Saul asked her to bring up Samuel. (Samuel was someone who Saul looked to for advice, but he was dead.)

When the woman saw Samuel, she screamed, “You’ve deceived me! You are Saul!”

“Don’t be frightened!” the king told her. “What do you see?”

“I see a specter coming up out of the earth,” she said.

“What does he look like?”

“He is an old man wrapped in a robe.”

Saul realized that it was Samuel and bowed low before him.

“Why have you disturbed me by bringing me back?” Samuel asked Saul.

“Because I am in deep trouble,” he replied. “The Philistines are at war with us, and God has left me and won’t reply by prophets or dreams; so I have called for you to ask you what to do.”

But Samuel replied, “Why ask me if the Lord has left you and has become your enemy? What’s more, the entire Israeli army will be routed and destroyed by the Philistines tomorrow, and you and your sons will be here with me.”

Saul fell on the ground, paralyzed with fright because of Samuel’s words.
-----
What I find strange about this...the bible says God is against using these kinds of powers (talking to the dead and such), but it can only be due to him, that humans are capable of doing this in the first place??!

The way I see it, it would be like God telling us its wrong to sprout wings and fly into the air...but then he makes people that have wings!

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

13,525 posts, read 3,440,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What I find strange about this...the bible says God is against using these kinds of powers (talking to the dead and such), but it can only be due to him, that humans are capable of doing this in the first place??!

The way I see it, it would be like God telling us its wrong to sprout wings and fly into the air...but then he makes people that have wings!
I think this might be the first time I've seen an apparent contradiction about what the Bible says and what God does. Thank you.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

13,525 posts, read 3,440,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
“Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.”

― Elizabeth Barrett Browning
I always like to say, "Heaven and Hell are both right here on Earth."

"Crammed" in fact. Yes.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

11,395 posts, read 2,989,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think this might be the first time I've seen an apparent contradiction about what the Bible says and what God does. Thank you.
It also applies to magic and sorcery...Again, the bible warns against both...but it had to be God himself, that made these things possible/functional.

I have heard these things are 'forbidden knowledge' and its some of the things the fallen angels supposedly taught man how to use, but the question is still there...if God didnt like these things, why did even create them or make it that they work, its very confusing.

If humans were not capable of magic, or talking to the dead (or it didnt work at all)...there would be no concerns over man using them.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

3,823 posts, read 1,350,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Contradiction is evidence of a faulty premise. An omnipotent Being who fails to achieve His intentions, is an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality