U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,559 posts, read 10,737,171 times
Reputation: 20762

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the first one is pretty obvious. Historically, black and white people didn't go to church together because of the racial separation inherent in our nation's past, and the black church was a place where black people could just get together and be who they were without the prying eyes of white authority. The style of worship recalled the call-and-response of African drumming and religious traditions such as the ring shout that were not present in white churches, and that gave birth to gospel music and rhythm and blues, a sai weng shi ma of slavery from which we all benefitted.

Interesting that you mentioned Methodist. The A.M.E. church was born from black Methodists who got tired of having to sit in the back or balcony of churches and decided to form their own.

The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the U.S., as you might know if you watched the last royal wedding, is a black man from the south. His father was Baptist, his mother Episcopalian. As a young couple they attended an all-white Episcopal church while traveling in the 1940s, and when the wife went up to receive communion, her husband thought, "They're not going to let her drink wine out of the same cup", but they did. He converted and that's how Michael Curry grew up as a black Episcopalians. There are quite a few, although in my area there are a couple of almost-all-black Episcopal churches and the others tend to be mostly white. My own church has about 25 - 30 regular attendees on a Sunday morning. We are mostly older, mostly white, but we do have two Asian members and two black members, one of whom is from Ghana. We had two other black members when I started, but they have since died.

I can't answer about younger people because I'm not one. My daughter is not Christian, though ironically when she was a teenager her boyfriend for six years was the son of a fundmentalist (Church of God) pastor and SHE was very involved in a church while I was not. She did not take to the fundamentalism, and after a while dumped the boyfriend, and she has since explored other spiritual paths. She does attend with me on Christmas Eve and enjoys it. When she texted her ex-Catholic bf last year that she was at church with me, he responded, "Ugh", and she said, "No no, this one is fun." Because we are.
Interesting post.

I grew up in an all white town in western NYS. Finally, when I was about 10 a Negro family (I'm using the terminology of the time) moved in. They happened to be Methodist. And where would I see them every Sunday? Sitting in the back row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 AM
 
13,335 posts, read 3,382,782 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To my surprise, several people over my time here have messaged me privately or briefly posted about the use of psychics or Tarot cards...and similar phenomenon. Anyone have any experiences to share?
I get messages both positive and negative. I never message anyone, because I prefer the public aspect of this forum, all in the open for everyone to see. Interesting thoughts come by way of private messages, however. Sometimes I reply, but usually not. Again because I prefer to keep the discussion open rather than private...

First experience I would like to share with you began when you answered my question about this in another thread. Your short answer was "yes."

I rarely check to see where else people are commenting, but rather than ask you to elaborate in that thread (since it seemed you were reluctant), I got the notion to check where else you might be discussing this subject, and sure enough I quickly found this thread of yours.

I have an experience or two more to share here if you or anyone likes, as well as some information that might help explain a bit about what is going on with psychics, but I still haven't found what has caused you to consider a psychic "after 30 years." Not to pry and perhaps already explained elsewhere, but I admit I remain curious if you care to share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,559 posts, read 10,737,171 times
Reputation: 20762
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I get messages both positive and negative. I never message anyone, because I prefer the public aspect of this forum, all in the open for everyone to see. Interesting thoughts come by way of private messages, however. Sometimes I reply, but usually not. Again because I prefer to keep the discussion open rather than private...

First experience I would like to share with you began when you answered my question about this in another thread. Your short answer was "yes."

I rarely check to see where else people are commenting, but rather than ask you to elaborate in that thread (since it seemed you were reluctant), I got the notion to check where else you might be discussing this subject, and sure enough I quickly found this thread of yours.

I have an experience or two more to share here if you or anyone likes, as well as some information that might help explain a bit about what is going on with psychics, but I still haven't found what has caused you to consider a psychic "after 30 years." Not to pry and perhaps already explained elsewhere, but I admit I remain curious if you care to share...
The yes in that particular exchange meant yes, but I don't want to discuss the details of that particular situation. Other situations related to the topic, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 PM
 
13,335 posts, read 3,382,782 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The yes in that particular exchange meant yes, but I don't want to discuss the details of that particular situation. Other situations related to the topic, no problem.
Of course, fair enough. Just so you understand, the REASON someone looks for answers and the REASON someone chooses a particular source for those answers is a very important aspect of what ultimately transpires thereafter. Why I asked, but of course those reasons can be personal, often are, and up to you with regard to considering them or sharing them. I wasn't just being nosy in any case. Just so you know...

Based on my professional experience helping people as their Executive Coach (EC). The reasons are important and a person's disposition toward help of any kind is also important. Some people tend to be "open" to hearing from someone else. Other's not so much. Works the same way with Executive Coaching as it does with psychics.

What most people don't know, because they are the ones seeking the help rather than providing it, is what those providing the help also know. Like me with 100's of people. There will always be those for whom the help is welcomed, with whom the words resonate, makes sense. They are receptive. For others, the exchange really goes nowhere. Doesn't help, even though the Executive Coach and/or psychic employs the same general approach with everyone. Is the same person with everyone.

More specifically with the psychic, for example, they know what to say that will likely conjure up some connection with SOME people, no matter it won't work with everyone. They are simply counting on those who are able to find a connection between what they are saying and what is going on in their client's life. Really they are just guessing with the full knowledge it will work with some and not with others. It's simply "the numbers game." No matter for those who DO experience something special. For THEM it works and that's all that matters, regardless what is really happening in reality. No matter all the people who get nothing from the exchange of any value.

With Executive Coaching, a big difference is the help is based on asking the client to disclose what should be disclosed so that the exchange can be based on better understanding of what is going on rather than some mystical process meant to wow the client with the inexplicable.

"Whatever works" as some might say, but this is at least some perspective I can offer from having been on the other end of trying to help people looking for answers. For whatever any of this is worth to you or anyone else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM
 
13,335 posts, read 3,382,782 times
Reputation: 1659
This is a pretty interesting and amusing TED Talk that touches on much the same things...

https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_sh...gs?language=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,559 posts, read 10,737,171 times
Reputation: 20762
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Of course, fair enough. Just so you understand, the REASON someone looks for answers and the REASON someone chooses a particular source for those answers is a very important aspect of what ultimately transpires thereafter. Why I asked, but of course those reasons can be personal, often are, and up to you with regard to considering them or sharing them. I wasn't just being nosy in any case. Just so you know...

Based on my professional experience helping people as their Executive Coach (EC). The reasons are important and a person's disposition toward help of any kind is also important. Some people tend to be "open" to hearing from someone else. Other's not so much. Works the same way with Executive Coaching as it does with psychics.

What most people don't know, because they are the ones seeking the help rather than providing it, is what those providing the help also know. Like me with 100's of people. There will always be those for whom the help is welcomed, with whom the words resonate, makes sense. They are receptive. For others, the exchange really goes nowhere. Doesn't help, even though the Executive Coach and/or psychic employs the same general approach with everyone. Is the same person with everyone.

More specifically with the psychic, for example, they know what to say that will likely conjure up some connection with SOME people, no matter it won't work with everyone. They are simply counting on those who are able to find a connection between what they are saying and what is going on in their client's life. Really they are just guessing with the full knowledge it will work with some and not with others. It's simply "the numbers game." No matter for those who DO experience something special. For THEM it works and that's all that matters, regardless what is really happening in reality. No matter all the people who get nothing from the exchange of any value.

With Executive Coaching, a big difference is the help is based on asking the client to disclose what should be disclosed so that the exchange can be based on better understanding of what is going on rather than some mystical process meant to wow the client with the inexplicable.

"Whatever works" as some might say, but this is at least some perspective I can offer from having been on the other end of trying to help people looking for answers. For whatever any of this is worth to you or anyone else...
It's not always just a numbers game with psychics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,966 posts, read 12,426,523 times
Reputation: 16880
Too many instances to speak of.
But, let's not leave out throwing the I Ching !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 05:34 AM
 
Location: USA
209 posts, read 29,743 times
Reputation: 206
I think that psychics have trained to use their intuition better than most of us. If we did that for ourselves we wouldn't really have need for psychics. But we're brought up in a world that doesn't emphasize intuition or other ways of knowing. Its not part of the curriculum in school. We live in a world that values logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:38 AM
 
13,335 posts, read 3,382,782 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I think that psychics have trained to use their intuition better than most of us. If we did that for ourselves we wouldn't really have need for psychics. But we're brought up in a world that doesn't emphasize intuition or other ways of knowing. Its not part of the curriculum in school. We live in a world that values logic.
The power of suggestion is a very powerful thing, and we're all more or less susceptible. More or less inclined toward intuition or logic, emotions or reasoned deduction and/or all the other many forms of contemplation that cause us to conclude as we do. My intuition tells me that if a psychic asks "you like to go listen to music near the water in summer, don't you?" The psychic knows the numbers are in their favor for starters, and with the exceptions, there are plenty other similar drag net type questions to ask before all is necessarily said and done...

I very much like to listen to music, so even if not close to the water in Summer, I'm thinking, "wow!" How does she know this about music and me? Also of course, the great majority of people enjoy listening to music. Psychic or just the numbers game?

Hard for me to be convinced of the former rather than the latter all considered, but it's far more fun and mysterious to suspect otherwise. No doubt about that either.

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-24-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:48 AM
 
Location: USA
209 posts, read 29,743 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The power of suggestion is a very powerful thing, and we're all more or less susceptible. More or less inclined toward intuition or logic, emotions or reasoned deduction and/or all the other many mental forms of contemplation that cause us to conclude as we do. My intuition tells me that if a psychic asks "you like to go listen to music near the water in summer, don't you?" The psychic knows the numbers are in their favor for starters, and with the exceptions, there are plenty other similar drag net type questions to ask before all is necessarily said and done...

I very much like to listen to music, so even if not close to the water in Summer, I'm thinking, "wow!" How does she know this about music and me? Also of course, the great majority of people enjoy listening to music. Psychic or just the numbers game?

Hard for me to be convinced of the former rather than the latter all considered, but it's far more fun and mysterious to suspect otherwise. No doubt about that either.

I don't go to psychics. But if a psychic said that to me it would be wrong. I listen to music but not near the water in summer. There isn't much water around here and we really don't take vacations. So if this was just a numbers thing, it would of failed. Just saying.


Sometimes people who go to psychics are looking for verification of something they already know or intuit. People are also afraid of making decisions and looking for someone else to make it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top