Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

What do you think?
I am open to so much. I have no illusions that I know everything.
What a wondrous exciting place this life is....to be closed and think you know it all is silly, in my opinion.
Why would anyone, ie, Muslim or Jew or whatever hang onto 'their' belief system? Only?
You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 04:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What do you think?
What a wondrous exciting place this life is....to be closed and think you know it all is silly, in my opinion.
Why would anyone, ie, Muslim or Jew or whatever hang onto 'their' belief system? Only?
You?
I think using our intelligence, knowledge, life experiences and social set up helps us in day to day life we use our resources in identifying the potential consequences AND potential rewards. And based on these probabilities we take certain decisions.

I think it's a pick between
"NOT putting my hand in fire because it may burn my skin"
vs
"lets put my hand in fire as it may open 'new ideas' to me.

I am still not sure what new ideas are you referring to or what exactly is it that religious people are missing out on because they are not open to those supposedly "new ideas"?

Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
What do you think?
You?
Miss Hepburn, I would have to totally agree with you on being open minded, regardless of what our religious or cultural belief may be it never hurts to learn about others. I am of the opinion that if we are open-minded enough to learn about other religions and cultures other than our own we can dispel fear and learn to respect each other and perhaps we can live in peace.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am still not sure what new ideas are you referring to or what exactly is it
that religious people are missing out on because they are not open to those supposedly "new ideas"?
Pretty much anything that is beyond or 'other than' their beliefs.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Miss Hepburn, I would have to totally agree with you on being open minded, regardless of what our religious or cultural belief may be it never hurts to learn about others. I am of the opinion that if we are open-minded enough to learn about other religions and cultures other than our own we can dispel fear and learn to respect each other and perhaps we can live in peace.
Excellent.
See? That to me is a rational, mature, wise and diplomatic approach.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:51 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default Fear, and fear alone, makes a person closed, not open to new ideas

I have to disagree. Fear operates on unenlightened minds. As our minor disagreement over ocean777's claims indicates, Miss H., you can have too open a mind such that your brain falls out!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:57 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
What do you think?
You?
open it up to everyone Miss H not just Muslims and Jews
surely you also include in your blanket condemnation statement of "closed and think you know it all"

Buddhists Pagans Hindus Sikh Catholic Protestant Amish Quakers Taoism Atheists Agnostics Wiccan Shinto Mormon

If you were truly "open to so much" you would be able to understand participating in a specific tradition. Without calling those who walk a path that is different than yours "closed and think you know it all"

what comes across loud and clear (yet again) is your sense of, well, superiority, and your condemnation of those who walk a different path.
it is not attractive.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-22-2019 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 05:18 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Sing it, Brother.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:23 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Reload this Page Fear, and fear alone, makes a person closed, not open to new ideas

Quite likely. It is why we goddless bastards find such a fingers in ears response to any new Ideas we present (by 'we' I mean other atheist apologists).

There is nothing to fear from new Ideas. In fact a materialist science -based basis enables skeptics to consider new Ideas from a basis of what is new will be accepted when it is verified, explained and understood, because knowing that something is real doesn't tell us what it is or how it works.

It's the one thing thing Gandalf said that i disagree with "He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, had left the path of wisdom". I regret that it may be sad to damage or even destroy something to discover how it works and what it is ('Archaeology is destruction' has caused a bit of self -searching) but assuming that you know what a thing is by looking at it and guessing is nothing like wisdom and telling yourself that you guesses are true because of divine inspiration is not on the same planet as wisdom.

So the right balance is skeptical caution of new Ideas (or the claims made about them - eg. NDE's) while not being afraid of them. Though the Theist lobby would certainly claim that's what we were. Not that such was your intention for a moment, Miss H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have to disagree. Fear operates on unenlightened minds. As our minor disagreement over ocean777's claims indicates, Miss H., you can have too open a mind such that your brain falls out!
We are all skeptics, Mystic, just as we are all atheists. It's just that some of us do not exclude the skepticism from one particular Pet belief.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
well said ptsum
Miss H, may you one day do just that, learn to respect others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality