U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 AM

3,361 posts, read 1,790,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I rather doubt though that it's the reason why people change actual religion. I'd put that down to doctrinal persuasion (or - a Theory of mine, they want a religion with more mind -control to put rising doubts to rest, otherwise, why anyone would become a Muslim is beyond me). But it might explain why people change churches in the same religion. I recall Ozzy saying he'd walked out of a church because he disapproved of them.

Islam brought peace and satisfaction for many African Americans, so you may want to ask them. Many have written down the reason such as Malcolm X. How much do you know about Islam and how it is practiced to pick on that single one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 03:16 PM

40,508 posts, read 27,047,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Maybe not. It just seemed like you were giving 2 and only 2 choices: either you have social acceptance at all costs or you have integrity. I'm just saying, it's not about social acceptance for me, nor do I feel I'm compromising my integrity by participating when I do participate.

Katz, I've learned that if I'm miserable it's because of how I'm choosing to see things, therefore, I'm no longer miserable participating with my family because of the perspective/attitude I choose to have about it.
Amen!

Old 08-23-2019, 06:43 PM

40,074 posts, read 11,232,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Islam brought peace and satisfaction for many African Americans, so you may want to ask them. Many have written down the reason such as Malcolm X. How much do you know about Islam and how it is practiced to pick on that single one?
I don't claim to be an expert on Islam and I'm well aware of the reason why a lot of Black Americans turned to Islam. I wonder whether they knew what they were getting into.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 PM

6,523 posts, read 2,202,008 times
In the religion I grew up in there is a thing called PIMO (physically in/mentally out). The reason people stay is that leaving means they will lose their entire social circle and possibly their families. Not all religions are that extreme but I'm sure many still experience emotional manipulations such as how their not believing anymore will hurt their families. How many people on here believe a family member is destined for hell or some other punishment for leaving let alone standing up to the religious teachings? "You're killing your mother!" "You've turned your back on God!" "You need to get your butt back to church!" For many people they can't just leave without some sort of repercussions so it may be better for them to stay.

Also, it's one thing to find fault with a few teachings. It's quite another to try and open that door guarded by fear. Even for those of us who have stared down that demon, it's usually a process. It's a very emotional issue and I found reason isn't very effective against it.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I don't claim to be an expert on Islam and I'm well aware of the reason why a lot of Black Americans turned to Islam. I wonder whether they knew what they were getting into.
That you would make such a statement so blithely is racist. Are you sure YOU know what you are talking about?

Old 08-24-2019, 12:46 AM

4,712 posts, read 964,115 times
As many of you know, I am an atheist.

I went to a Catholic school (only one in our area we moved to) for 7 years. I had two nuns as teachers and had to sit through Catechism and go to first Wednesday Mass in the gym. Since that time, I've been to a couple of services that were not weddings/funerals with friends, SDA, UU, Lutheran, Episcopal/Anglican, and a synagogue. In all cases, I just didn't get it.

I couldn't see what the attraction was to those in the pews. Now I know there is an element who value the ritual and traditions, while others try to take something from a sermon IF it is relevant to everyday life, and not just regurgitating some scripture, but overall, I just don't see the why.

Does your faith truly get enhanced by going to a building where others profess to have the same, or at least a similar, faith? I get the issue of community, especially in a smaller municipality, but how much community is there truly in mega-church environments?

I truly am curious, as I always felt many who go feel it is an obligation, an imposition, and not something that really gives meaning to their faith.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:40 AM

40,074 posts, read 11,232,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That you would make such a statement so blithely is racist. Are you sure YOU know what you are talking about?
That's an odd remark to make since you must be aware that Black Americans turning from Christianity to islam was part of the Black Emancipation movement. It wasn't because Islam was particularly attractive to them.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:13 AM

8,143 posts, read 7,146,473 times
There are many people who are regionally born into traditions of religion who don`t believe or are secular believers who make the show in the predominate social belief systems .... See Jesus Christ even said you must reject your brother, sister, mother, religions to follow me

Old 08-24-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
That's an odd remark to make since you must be aware that Black Americans turning from Christianity to islam was part of the Black Emancipation movement. It wasn't because Islam was particularly attractive to them.
Can you cite your source, that they chose Islam out of necessity and not choice.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:44 AM

7,020 posts, read 6,310,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious... If you were raised in a religion and didn't believe in it, felt the leadership was corrupt and that it did more to harm its members than it did to help them, would you stay or leave? If you'd choose to stay, why? Is social acceptance so important to you that you'd stick around at all costs, or would you at some point say, "Enough! I have enough integrity to stand up for what I truly believe and move on!"?
I tried that when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I didn't get very far with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or