Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

I'm curious... If you were raised in a religion and didn't believe in it, felt the leadership was corrupt and that it did more to harm its members than it did to help them, would you stay or leave? If you'd choose to stay, why? Is social acceptance so important to you that you'd stick around at all costs, or would you at some point say, "Enough! I have enough integrity to stand up for what I truly believe and move on!"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
The effectiveness of its theology not its followers would be my judgement tool

Old 08-22-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The effectiveness of its theology not its followers would be my judgement tool
Very good point. And what, as you see it, makes certain theologies "effective"?

Old 08-22-2019, 09:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Very good point. And what, as you see it, makes certain theologies "effective"?
Learning and surviving

Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Learning and surviving
I'm a bit confused. Do you believe a religion can be effective at teaching people to learn and survive if it simultaneously teaches falsehoods, is led by corrupt individuals and harms its adherents more than it helps them? Or did I misunderstand you?

To me, a theology could be considered "effective" if it made you a better person. If it didn't do at least that much, I wouldn't consider it effective, and if it had all of the negative attributes I mentioned, nothing would be able to keep me there.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-22-2019 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 10:31 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
I'm curious... If you were raised in a religion and didn't believe in it, felt the leadership was corrupt and that it did more to harm its members than it did to help them, would you stay or leave? If you'd choose to stay, why? Is social acceptance so important to you that you'd stick around at all costs, or would you at some point say, "Enough! I have enough integrity to stand up for what I truly believe and move on!"?
It works a little differently for Buddhists, because it is much more an individual journey.

But I have known people who have stood their ground and faced off with religious officials, and I have known people who just found another church or denomination.

The only thing I ever did was when I was catholic and the priest was in the middle of an anti-Nelson-Rockefeller rant over the word which cannot be spoken, and I stood up and walked out, and was publicly chided by the priest.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
I'm curious... If you were raised in a religion and didn't believe in it,
This would be enough to make me leave.

Quote:
felt the leadership was corrupt
This too would be sufficient.

Quote:
and that it did more to harm its members than it did to help them,
Yep. This makes me hit the road too.

Quote:
would you stay or leave? If you'd choose to stay, why? Is social acceptance so important to you that you'd stick around at all costs, or would you at some point say, "Enough! I have enough integrity to stand up for what I truly believe and move on!"?
Why would anybody stay in a religion that they don’t believe in, is corrupt, and harms people? What kind of sociopath does that?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:55 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
I have never been religious, but there have been equivalents where this or that failed to live up to its' hype and i walked.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times
Quote:
I'm a bit confused. Do you believe a religion can be effective at teaching people to learn and survive if it simultaneously teaches falsehoods, is led by corrupt individuals and harms its adherents more than it helps them? Or did I misunderstand you?

To me, a theology could be considered "effective" if it made you a better person. If it didn't do at least that much, I wouldn't consider it effective, and if it had all of the negative attributes I mentioned, nothing would be able to keep me there.
The only way I would stay in that kind of situation is if my needs were met, which could not have been met anywhere else that was convenient. In addition, I would want more for all my pain and suffering. So I wouldn't stay if the institution does more harm because that automatically means I didn't get more to make up for the nastiness.

But I am not in the habit of getting more out of people than I need even if they are not good. I just do my best not to deal with them. So chances are, I would leave. I don't like taking advantage of people, even if they tried to take advantage of me.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:00 AM

1,378 posts, read 392,675 times

I recall a young man going through the same dilemma, wondering how to leave the family
religion & break out on his own. Then one night an angel appeared & took him on a journey,
& showed him the real world & how demonic & evil it is compared to the family religion he was
trying to leave.

I recall one other young man selling the family home to give the money to the poor, in order to
spite his family religion with its seeming selfish priests. But then his own wife & kids had to live in the gutter
without a home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality