U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

543 posts, read 107,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I think this covers all possibilities, yours, mine and all others.
I agree, which is why I qualified my answer with the caveat that I was not talking about the individual daily practices but the overall philosophy where only the present matters. But even then, given OPs most recent comment, I have my reservations as to how accommodating that philosophy would be to your take on the subject since you DO give some consideration to past and future.

But again, until OP clarifies this, the best we can do is guess.

Quote:
People rarely find merit in anything I post on CD, so thank you.
Judging by your rep, I think you're being overly modest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

14,217 posts, read 9,176,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Outside of a quick relaxation exercise, this is quite possibly one of the most damaging ideas out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Ignoring the past, means we ignore the lessons that could significantly improve our lives. Ignoring the future means, we disregard the consequences of our actions.
I do not think people who promote living in the present are suggesting that one forget the past or not plan for the future. Simply not dwelling on / constantly ruminating on past pain or what might go wrong.

My version of this is that I always ask about any thing I'm expending mental or emotional energy on, "is this actionable? If so, it it likely I can actually influence it in such a way that the energy I have to input will be worth it?" If the answer to both questions is no, then I let go of it and move on.

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I do not think people who promote living in the present are suggesting that one forget the past or not plan for the future.
I can only comment on what I read, to go beyond that I'd have to guess what OP means, and whilst you give this a more positive spin and imagine that OP might not be that extreme, I can't, in all honesty, be that generous. Not when all I have to go on is "The present is the only thing there is."

The funny thing is, I can easily entertain this idea from the purely academic perspective, i.e. theoretical physics' account of time etc. It is the extension of that idea as a normative prescription to how one should live their life that is so bothersome. There are just far too many exceptions to that rule.

I mean, look at bobspez's interpretation. It almost makes the whole 'the present is the only thing' assertion redundant. Clearly there is more value in bobspez's attempt at holistic approach (regardless of whether we agree with it or not) than just a blank dismissal of past and present.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

2,196 posts, read 928,965 times
About 5,000 out of a million reads, or about 1/2 %. That sounds about right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, you have plenty of reps..so I'd say you're doing something right!

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Could it be that the count simply includes indirect thread views, personal clicks, etc? I kinda hope you are being facetious. It seems like an odd thing to preoccupy yourself with (especially in the context of this thread).

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

7,051 posts, read 3,856,296 times
Quote:
It's all relative. You're doing better than everyone else.

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Could it be that the count simply includes indirect thread views, personal clicks, etc? I kinda hope you are being facetious. It seems like an odd thing to preoccupy yourself with (especially in the context of this thread).
How is he pre-occupied? He's not the one that brought it up. He's just responding to another poster.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
How is he pre-occupied?
I don't know, this is why I asked bobspez. But if you feel you have more insight into it than bobspez...

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know, this is why I asked bobspez. But if you feel you have more insight into it than bobspez...
You said he was preoccupied. He's not. Answering a person's question is not being 'preoccupied'.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You said he was preoccupied. He's not. Answering a person's question is not being 'preoccupied'.
Being concerned with a number of people that find merit in their posts, linking it with a number of post reads, and then calculating overall percentage to demonstrate the soundness of their initial assessment kinda is. Which is why I was hoping that the calculation was made in jest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or