U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

3,355 posts, read 1,786,851 times

Advertisements

The past is dead, the future is unknown, the present is the only thing you got. Live in the present. This is the key to if not happiness, at least relief from suffering, sadness, depression.
Breathing in and out, meditation, maybe prayer, all help. Yoga.

How do you practice being in the present? Does it bring relief, help you get up and go again, bring you bliss?
What is your method?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

40,040 posts, read 11,216,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The past is dead, the future is unknown, the present is the only thing you got. Live in the present. This is the key to if not happiness, at least relief from suffering, sadness, depression.

How do you practice being in the present? Does it bring relief, help you get up and go again, bring you bliss?
What is your method?
I do that, too.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

522 posts, read 106,010 times
Quote:
The past is dead, the future is unknown, the present is the only thing you got. Live in the present.
Outside of a quick relaxation exercise, this is quite possibly one of the most damaging ideas out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Ignoring the past, means we ignore the lessons that could significantly improve our lives. Ignoring the future means, we disregard the consequences of our actions.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
nng

233 posts, read 53,912 times
Quote:

What is your method?
I just try to not dwell on my worries and fears as much. I try not to worry about things I can't control. Being in the present is important I believe. I pray a lot too. And walking outside in the sun and enjoying nature help me to be in the present I think.

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

4,019 posts, read 1,589,966 times
"How do you practice being in the present?"
answer C-D posts.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

26,206 posts, read 13,648,027 times
I'm fortunate to be retired and live on the shores of a beautiful lake on the edge of wilderness. All I need to do to bliss out on the moment is look outside - or better - be outside.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

3,355 posts, read 1,786,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"How do you practice being in the present?"
answer C-D posts.

No kidding. It can be quite calming and a great escape. But what do you do when you get off line?

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

6,127 posts, read 2,357,006 times
I live in the present, remember the past and think and plan for the future.

If depressed I go for a long walk or bike ride. If not depressed then I read CD ☺.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

15,927 posts, read 12,399,740 times
I could write volumes...but not here!!!! I know this place all too well.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

56,984 posts, read 55,300,483 times
Quote:

What is your method?
I stop what I am doing or thinking and look at my surroundings and remind myself just to take this moment to be in this moment. This usually happens when I am in or in view of a natural setting. It resets my mind.

It takes practice to remember to take those moments, but I'm getting better at it as time goes by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or