U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 11:04 AM

4,746 posts, read 970,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
As time passes a lot of this intolerance will just fade away. The younger generations are much more accepting and/or indifferent to the sexual preferences of others.

I don't agree with suing someone who is practicing their faith. Leave her alone. But where do we draw the line? Do we allow people with religious convictions to determine what is right and wrong for the rest of us?

Think of all the religions of the world and the examples become absurd.
The problem is that she had an obligation as a State employee and discriminated based on her faith.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:10 AM

9,291 posts, read 8,597,485 times
Quote:
I don't agree with suing someone who is practicing their faith. Leave her alone. But where do we draw the line? Do we allow people with religious convictions to determine what is right and wrong for the rest of us?
She isnít being sued for being a Christian. The legal issues involve her refusal as a public employee to issue marriage licenses, and her refusal to let others in her office issue them either. Her religious convictions inspired her to refuse to follow clearly stated laws and job requirements to the detriment of the general public.

I agree that you should not sue somebody for their religion. It would not be an actionable lawsuit the vast majority of the time. This case is very different.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:04 PM

23,559 posts, read 10,737,171 times
Quote:
As time passes a lot of this intolerance will just fade away. The younger generations are much more accepting and/or indifferent to the sexual preferences of others.

I am not a great believer in suing people all the time.

But I actually think this is a worthy case:

1. She refused to do her job.
2. She refused to follow the law, despite repeated warnings.
3. She tried to circumvent the law, thus forcing her religion on others.

This is one of those extreme cases where people need to say that enough is enough.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:14 PM

9,621 posts, read 5,597,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am not a great believer in suing people all the time.

But I actually think this is a worthy case:

1. She refused to do her job.
2. She refused to follow the law, despite repeated warnings.
3. She tried to circumvent the law, thus forcing her religion on others.

This is one of those extreme cases where people need to say that enough is enough.
In addition, she failed to uphold the law of the land. A law she swore on a Bible to uphold.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 PM

40,150 posts, read 11,253,792 times
I would hope that this is not acted upon as a compromise was reached - not justice, but mercy as they say. i hope that this will not be overturned by any taking out private cases.

Quote:

Agreed. The case was right to fight, but once the matter was..agreed, sorta...leave this one alone. She is now not blocking the law and the precedent has been established. Job done.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:38 PM

9,148 posts, read 5,264,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Davis may have suffered enough for her stupidity and bigotry. I'd leave her be.

But svenM's idiotic blathering warrants reproof and correction.
Oh, I strenuously hope someone she wronged sues her.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:41 PM

1,001 posts, read 231,441 times
But thrice-divorced Kim Davis just wants to protect the sanctity of marriage!

Old 08-25-2019, 05:53 PM

23,559 posts, read 10,737,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I would hope that this is not acted upon as a compromise was reached - not justice, but mercy as they say. i hope that this will not be overturned by any taking out private cases.

Agreed. The case was right to fight, but once the matter was..agreed, sorta...leave this one alone. She is now not blocking the law and the precedent has been established. Job done.
I don't agree. It is now not about her, but about setting an example.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:23 PM

999 posts, read 276,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Marriage is between man and woman
Nope. Try again.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM

9,148 posts, read 5,264,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Marriage is between man and woman, why are homosexuals allowed to marry but not brother and sister, isn't this discrimination as well?

A homosexual man can marry a woman, so how is he discriminated? If he wants to marry no woman, this is his personal problem, why should a man marry a man?
You miss the point. People can hold any opinions and religious views they please; what they CAN'T DO is deny the legal rights of others in order to suit their own opinions/religious views. Kim Davis unlawfully violated the legal rights of some people legally applying for a marriage license. I hope every affected couple sues her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or