U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:24 PM

23,559 posts, read 10,737,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You miss the point. People can hold any opinions and religious views they please; what they CAN'T DO is deny the legal rights of others in order to suit their own opinions/religious views. Kim Davis unlawfully violated the legal rights of some people legally applying for a marriage license. I hope every affected couple sues her.
I agree.

For 33 years I was a teacher and then principal. I wasn't an independent contractor. I was licensed by the state and paid by my employer. And I had to obey the law.

If a professional person makes a mistake, I'm pretty likely to forgive that mistake...under many circumstances. But her actions were not a "mistake". She intentionally broke the law and her job description. Repeatedly. After multiple warnings. Sorry...fry her.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 PM

6,371 posts, read 1,788,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VD284

Wow, this must sting, and will send the fundievangelist into a new nit fit.

From the article:

"In a 3-0 decision, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati said Kim Davis can be sued in her individual capacity, though sovereign immunity shielded her from being sued in her former role as Rowan County Clerk."

I can just see it now. I bet it won't be 24 hours a new FundMe campaign will be launched. Wonder if BaptistFundie and Jeffbase will contribute?

Why do the religious extremist insist on discriminating? What will it take for them to realize that rights apply to everyone, not only the people who sit in the pews, or kneel on the prayer rugs, next to them?
Have you bothered to actually research or even ask what I have said in the past on it? I have stated on multiple occasions that as an elected official, her responsibility was to do what her job required of her. In this case, she should have issued the licenses. Or get out of the way. Similar to the Walgreens employee that refuses to sell Plan B. It's the job. Don't like it? Don't work there.

I've publicly compared her to other elected officials that refused to enforce other laws, and some have gotten rather testy with me on it because of their liberal bent, and because I mentioned their favorite dictator.

This can be contrasted with the business owner who owns and operates their own business, and he/she can choose what to serve or sell. In that case, government cannot tell him/her what to offer.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
According to?
God.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 PM

9,148 posts, read 5,264,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Have you bothered to actually research or even ask what I have said in the past on it? I have stated on multiple occasions that as an elected official, her responsibility was to do what her job required of her. In this case, she should have issued the licenses. Or get out of the way. Similar to the Walgreens employee that refuses to sell Plan B. It's the job. Don't like it? Don't work there.
Thank you for saying this. I admit, I am pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
This can be contrasted with the business owner who owns and operates their own business, and he/she can choose what to serve or sell. In that case, government cannot tell him/her what to offer.
Certainly. But where they run into trouble is when they try to choose which customers they will serve or sell the item on offer to the general public.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for saying this. I admit, I am pleasantly surprised.

Certainly. But where they run into trouble is when they try to choose which customers they will serve or sell the item on offer to the general public.
I'm not aware of any situation where that actually happened with the Christian companies being sued in recent years. The bakery in question has and continues to serve people regardless of their sexual preferences. They just refused to make a cake for a same sex wedding. It has nothing to do with the "who", but everything to do with the "what".

Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 PM

9,148 posts, read 5,264,390 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of any situation where that actually happened with the Christian companies being sued in recent years. The bakery in question has and continues to serve people regardless of their sexual preferences. They just refused to make a cake for a same sex wedding. It has nothing to do with the "who", but everything to do with the "what".
It has everything to do with "who", as they gladly sell wedding cakes to opposite sex couples.

If they did not sell wedding cakes at all, that would be "what".

Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 PM

26,273 posts, read 13,670,869 times
Quote:
It has everything to do with "who", as they gladly sell wedding cakes to opposite sex couples.

If they did not sell wedding cakes at all, that would be "what".
Fundies don't parse logic very well.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 PM

9,621 posts, read 5,597,778 times
If Kim Davis is the Christian she claims to be, then when she gets to court she will follow this "law" from Jesus:

Quote:
if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well

Matt. 5:40

My guess is she can twist marriage into one man one woman because "Jesus said it," but hasn't the stomach for anything Jesus says that puts HER in a bind.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:03 PM

9,621 posts, read 5,597,778 times
Quote:
God.
Ah!!! You have heard from God have you?

Asked Him why He saw fit to let Abram marry his own sister?

Asked Him why, in spite of His law forbidding same, He let Jacob marry two sisters?

Asked Him why He decided to trace lineage of Jesus through Judah, the one who sold his brother into slavery and had sex with his own daughter-in-law, Tamar, thinking she was a prostitute? David came only a few generations after them. Joseph----we know of his life, but he wasn't good enough for God to trace Jesus through. Jesus--- a descendant of whores, deceivers, prostitutes and polygamists.

But you speak for God about what is acceptable to Him in terms of sexual relations.

What kind of idiocy are you trying to lay upon THINKING people. Stick to your lesser educated fundamentalist buddies who will swallow that garbage.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 AM

5,846 posts, read 2,940,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
But thrice-divorced Kim Davis just wants to protect the sanctity of marriage!
Quit so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or