Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 04:22 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You are the one doing that. You are demanding that Jewish caterers cater only to 'Jewish' (those who share your fundamentalist views) Jews.

There is no difference. But neither are true. If you were the sort of Jew who wanted to work in a job and found that the canteen served bacon and you declared they had to stop or you couldn't work there, whose fault would it be if you couldn't take that job?

It's nothing to do with religion. It is to do with enabling all people to keep their religion to themselves so they can live together. Those who can't live without refusing to work for those who don't suit their religion (the gay cake and office cafeteria with bacon butties are the same) are doing it to themselves, or rather their fundamentalist creed is doing it to them. And yet they blame others.
The issue is the government forcing us.

Christianity had nothing against jews they had something against jews who practice Judaism.
Secularists also have something against Jews who practice Judaism.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:23 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Then isn't that the answer? If the court should not compel me in a secular role that I occupy which is ultimately an extension of my religious persona, then it shouldn't compel even what you call a secular role if that role is driven by an expression of the religious persona. There are others who can bake.
No, because baking is NOT a religious role especially when it is offered to those NOT affiliated with the religion who have no need to accede to any religious rules.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:23 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
sorry I missed this earlier. Too many new posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But secular laws do not depend on Judaism or any other religion.
They recognize it though.
Quote:
I suppose you would push for Judaic Law in a Jewish-dominant community.
We already have that. The question of its overlap in certain areas with secular law is the question. So far the answer has been that in some cases, secular law bends -- we have religious exemptions.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is it not up to the state or federal houses to make laws not the LBGT community? Why d9nt the elected representatives make a law, isn't that their job. LBGT cm unity has what platform to pass laws?
I see obviously the government's of Texas, Arizona and Wyoming are LBGT contolled.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Of course not. But does the person within the cult get to decide how others outside should adapt their lives to suit them? I think not.

The reason that the gay Cake debate continues is because it asks where the line should be drawn. Is a business private and the customer an outsider? Or is the Business 'Interior' in the outside world and the Owner has no right to impose their views on the outsider? The Law has decided. But the religious still think they know better.

"To Hell with man - made Law!"

The law derived from a history of slavery and a prejudiced view of Blacks by whites, specifically in the former Confederate states. When the law was changed, that becamse the law. So the law changes - for the better, it is hoped. Did you wish that the law refused to change, so that - just as anti -gay law remains in place, racial segregation should remain i place? Except where Jews are concerned, of course. that has to be changed to suit yourself, doesn't it? Do you see how you are arguing privilege for yourself - not even just Jews, but Jews of the kind that you approve of? Don't you recognise religious fundamentalist bigotry when you have it shown to you?
1. I'm arguing for Christian's and muslims also

2. The LGBT anti discrimination laws are only to destroy religion.
There is no difference between jim crow and lgbt persecutors against religion both are using the government to target their enemies.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
No, because baking is NOT a religious role especially when it is offered to those NOT affiliated with the religion who have no need to accede to any religious rules.
Again, who are you to decide that it isn't a religious role when the religion says it is? The baker isn't demanding that the customer change to comply with the rules. He is just saying that as a function of his religious being he can't be part of it. Insisting that there is a division between religious and secular roles is spoken through a lens of not being of the religion. A Russian can't tell me that an American has to believe what the Russian thinks an American should believe.

------------
I'm closing down for the sabbath. I won't be around until tomorrow night at the earliest but probably Sunday morning. Sorry if I miss anything. Have a great day.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The society decides what are secular roles and the religions decide what are religious roles, but when they overlap, the secular roles apply. It is not complicated except when the secular society IS also religious as with some Muslim societies (perhaps even Israel, but I'm not sure).
In Judaism if there is a secular law that goes against religious law religious law wins to us. In many cases we are command to give up our lives. How many do you plan on killing

Old 08-30-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This honestly doesn't seem any different to me than someone refusing to bake a wedding cake for a biracial couple. I'm probably in the majority on that. In light of that information can you see how that argument you just made doesn't mean anything to someone like me?
Their religion bans interracial marriage?

Old 08-30-2019, 04:30 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I posted a few links a page or 3 ago -- being part of a seudat mitzvah is, itself, a mitzvah, making the role of preparing food a religious obligation and therefore, function. Additionally, if you look at the rules regarding being involved in inappropriate marriages, you will see that there is a concept called chanufa (false flattery) -- appearing to condone that which should not be condoned. The question of the "marriage" of two people of the same gender (there is a reason I put it in quotes -- it isn't to denigrate nut because of the technical and common use of the word and the confusion both cause) is in many ways similar to an inter-marriage. Here is a page with discussion of the issues related to both (though prompted by a question about the latter)
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/qu...age-attendance

Thank you, I'll check that out. But do these religious rules apply to Christians living in a secular society?

Old 08-30-2019, 04:36 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
1. Right now we are in a shaas hashmad. If not for the shaas hashmad I would not be here on city data all together.

Nobody is persecuting you or forcing you to do what goes against your beliefs. You're arguing against something that others do that really is none of your business and that you simply don't approve of, and you are attempting to turn it around and pretend that you are being personally victimized.

Quote:
2. I also was not speculating on this, I was subtly refuting that homosexuality is not dangerous. he said the health status of msm was because of promiscuity, I just responded as such in order for him to say either it was unhealthy or he would say the later. The issue is a real issue because the lgbt community refuses to make it a crime in many states for someone who has aids to be together with someone, without informing them of their HIV status.
Why are you so concerned about HIV? Are you likely to catch it through sexual relations? I don't believe that you're concerned about it because of some altruistic feelings you possess for humanity in general.

I stand by what I said previously about people who obsess over sex to the degree that I see you doing. There's that old saying about "protesting too much..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality