U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 12:20 AM

4,746 posts, read 970,684 times

Advertisements

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VD284

Wow, this must sting, and will send the fundievangelist into a new nit fit.

From the article:

"In a 3-0 decision, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati said Kim Davis can be sued in her individual capacity, though sovereign immunity shielded her from being sued in her former role as Rowan County Clerk."

I can just see it now. I bet it won't be 24 hours a new FundMe campaign will be launched. Wonder if BaptistFundie and Jeffbase will contribute?

Why do the religious extremist insist on discriminating? What will it take for them to realize that rights apply to everyone, not only the people who sit in the pews, or kneel on the prayer rugs, next to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 12:37 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,819,478 times
Marriage is between man and woman, why are homosexuals allowed to marry but not brother and sister, isn't this discrimination as well?

A homosexual man can marry a woman, so how is he discriminated? If he wants to marry no woman, this is his personal problem, why should a man marry a man?

Old 08-25-2019, 12:52 AM

23,544 posts, read 10,737,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Marriage is between man and woman, why are homosexuals allowed to marry but not brother and sister, isn't this discrimination as well?

A homosexual man can marry a woman, so how is he discriminated? If he wants to marry no woman, this is his personal problem, why should a man marry a man?
Why not. Why is it anybody's business other than the two directly involved?

But if you don't know the answer to the brother/sister issue, then you're not very well educated. https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask243

Old 08-25-2019, 01:36 AM

5,845 posts, read 2,940,617 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting that because God created two people gay, they cannot get married, have love and live in a loving relationship just like the God created heterosexuals can?

Old 08-25-2019, 01:36 AM

4,746 posts, read 970,684 times
Quote:

Why is anyone concerned about the marriage of same-sex couples? How does it affect you, me or society? What they do in the bedroom is none of our business, just as it is not my business what you do in your bedroom with your wife or girlfriend.

I would suggest you get educated on the genetic issues that can occur when there is reproduction with relatives who are too close together if you have to ask the question about a brother and sister marriage. That would harm society. Two men having sex does not. Nor does two women.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:53 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,819,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why is anyone concerned about the marriage of same-sex couples? How does it affect you, me or society? What they do in the bedroom is none of our business, just as it is not my business what you do in your bedroom with your wife or girlfriend.

I would suggest you get educated on the genetic issues that can occur when there is reproduction with relatives who are too close together if you have to ask the question about a brother and sister marriage. That would harm society. Two men having sex does not. Nor does two women.

The point is not all people can marry, for good reasons and this is not discrimination. Marriage is or was a religious institution, if homosexuals or any others for whom marriage is not indended (since all religions condemn homosexuality) want to marry it becomes political and thus affects me and society as a whole.

What they do in their bedroom is indeed their business, until they persue a political agenda which the LGBT community certainly does.

Are you a homosexual yourself or why do you bother and support their agenda? It was you, not me, who opened the thread.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 AM

5,845 posts, read 2,940,617 times
Quote:

Marriage is or was a religious institution, if homosexuals or any others for whom marriage is not intended (since all religions condemn homosexuality) want to marry it becomes political and thus affects me and society as a whole.

How does this affect you and society as a whole?

Old 08-25-2019, 03:06 AM

8,386 posts, read 9,889,055 times
Quote:
Marriage is between man and a woman
According to?

Old 08-25-2019, 03:51 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,153,961 times
Quote:
. Marriage is or was a religious institution,.
And when it's not? Such as a civil event with a JP.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:08 AM

995 posts, read 231,441 times
Quote:
You haven't followed (or, more likely, haven't understood) the legal workings of this decades-long development.

Fact:
Marriage is a right. This was established in the 19th century and was reiterated in case after case long before the concept of same-sex marriage came into public consciousness.

Fact:
The government has the power to restrict any and all rights. However, the government needs to present a compelling state interest in order to do so. For example, we all have the right to free speech, but we don't have the right to threaten to kill someone, to disseminate state secrets, to violate copyright, and a whole host of other actions comprising speech.

Fact:
Opponents of same-sex marriage have tried (and tried, and tried) to come up with some compelling state interest in upholding the discrimination of which they are so fond, and yet they have failed (and failed, and failed).

This is very simple. Does it still elude you?

Quote:
In Saudi Arabia, a Christian can practice Islam. If that Christian doesn't want to practice Islam, that is his own personal problem. By your 'logic', that's all fine and dandy. Of course, it's obviously a denial of rights and equality, just as is the denial of same-sex marriage.

PS - For those likely to accuse this judiciary of this or that, you have only your own (likely) voting habits to blame. The District Court judge who originally issued the now-upheld decision (Bunning) is a Bush appointee. The three-judge Circuit Court panel that unanimously upheld it (Griffin, White, Bush - no relation, it appears) were all Bush or Trump appointees. In fact, during his confirmation hearings it came out that judge John K. Bush was a blogger who opposed gay rights and loved him a whole slew of conspiracy nuttery (which probably explains his nomination in the first place). Yet even judge Bush understands the jurisprudence herein, and so voted against Davis.

Quote:
The point is not all people can marry, for good reasons and this is not discrimination. Marriage is or was a religious institution, if homosexuals or any others for whom marriage is not indended (since all religions condemn homosexuality) want to marry it becomes political and thus affects me and society as a whole.
There are no good reasons for denying consenting adults the right to marry consenting adults of the gender to whom they are naturally attracted. No, your ancient book is not a good reason. I'm an atheist man married to an atheist woman, and we were married decades ago in a courthouse with absolutely nothing religious about our marriage. So spare us the fairytale that marriage is inherently a religious institution. It's not. It hasn't been.

Quote:
What they do in their bedroom is indeed their business, until they persue a political agenda which the LGBT community certainly does.
Opposing oppressive laws does indeed constitute a political agenda. Opposing slavery was a political agenda. Supporting American independence was a political agenda. You seem to think these buzzwords you use are meaningful. They're really not.

By the say, I am amused by your 'what they do in their bedroom' bit. Be honest - you didn't support the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas ruling, in which the USSC struck down all laws criminalizing what gays 'do in their bedroom', your current pretending otherwise notwithstanding.

Quote:
Are you a homosexual yourself or why do you bother and support their agenda? It was you, not me, who opened the thread.
You can't shame me by insinuating that I'm gay. Your projection is such that you assume we're all terrified of such. Here's a clue for you: there are a great many straight people who could care less if you happen to think they're gay, because they (we) see no shame or issue at all with that, beyond the fact that the thought-process you're employing to reach that conclusion is... uh... 'lacking' (trying to be polite there).

It seems to baffle you that some of us care about the rights of others. You don't appear burdened by such things. So long as you got yours, right? Does the fact that men supported women's suffrage mystify you, too? How about whites to supported the Civil Rights movement? Does that baffle as well?

You lost. Society progresses, as it always had. You're foot-stamping mad about that.

Oh, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or