U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 PM

23,846 posts, read 10,823,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
If you aren't required to follow Mosaic Law, why do you use a book that contains the Old Testament? Why not just use a book with only the New Testament?
I think that's a very good question.

Aside from the question about whether or not there is a god, most of what I am against in christianity is found in the OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 02:58 PM

40,595 posts, read 27,127,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your question is really kind of invalid. The "Old Testament" is valid? It's Scripture, so as God's Word, it's not "invalid".
The word for scripture is "graphe", the word for God's Word is "logos." They are NOT the same. The scripture tells us ABOUT God's Word who is Jesus.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:43 PM

6,490 posts, read 1,810,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The word for scripture is "graphe", the word for God's Word is "logos." They are NOT the same. The scripture tells us ABOUT God's Word who is Jesus.
The "graphe" is "God-breathed". It's God's word.

And you are making a major category error to suggest that Jesus is his spoken word. The Bible also refers to him as his "Son". Do you realize that? Have you read that?

There are other places referring to Logos...do you mean to suggest that every place the word is used that it's referring to Jesus?

Old 09-07-2019, 08:42 PM

40,325 posts, read 11,342,615 times
Quote:
The "graphe" is "God-breathed". It's God's word.

And you are making a major category error to suggest that Jesus is his spoken word. The Bible also refers to him as his "Son". Do you realize that? Have you read that?

There are other places referring to Logos...do you mean to suggest that every place the word is used that it's referring to Jesus?
I'm with you here, BF. Mystic is nit picking. he knows what you mean as well as I do - or ought to. He is picking an irrelevant technical quibble and pretending that it invalidates what you are saying. I would not have liked to be in his class - when he had a class.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Are you saying they were born evil?
Ephesians 1 says that all of us are born children of wrath. That means I was, you were, and so was everyone else. I believe the Bible over you.
Quote:

Or that they weren't killed or weren't killed by God? My understanding is that God killed the first borns to persuade the pharaoh to let the Israelites go, not to punish the first borns. This would imply that the babies killed were innocent, which is what we would expect of babies.
You may think that, but the Bible says no such thing.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm with you here, BF. Mystic is nit picking. he knows what you mean as well as I do - or ought to. He is picking an irrelevant technical quibble and pretending that it invalidates what you are saying. I would not have liked to be in his class - when he had a class.
I'm used to it. He and a few others do the same thing. They take one translation of a single word and apply it to every instance of the English word in the Bible. It's a logical fallacy, and a really really bad hermenuetic. Anyone that uses that tactic demonstrates they're a lousy scholar.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:15 PM

It's odd since Mystic puts no trust in these documents of 'barbaric primitives' I believe was the term he used. Unless of course it suits his theory like taking the Crucifixion as some voluntary display of agape love when it is just - an execution.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:40 PM

40,595 posts, read 27,127,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's odd since Mystic puts no trust in these documents of 'barbaric primitives' I believe was the term he used. Unless of course, it suits his theory like taking the Crucifixion as some voluntary display of agape love when it is just - an execution.
It should not have succeeded IF Jesus was the Son of the Israeli WAR GOD that they believed in! He should have "smote" them all as I am sure Judas fully expected. But He is the Son of the God who IS Agape love who forgives them because they were too ignorant to know what they were doing!

Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 PM

5,927 posts, read 2,958,951 times
Quote:
Ephesians 1 says that all of us are born children of wrath. That means I was, you were, and so was everyone else. I believe the Bible over you.

You may think that, but the Bible says no such thing.
Why would you worship a god and revere a book that accuses us of being born evil? To hell with that!

Feel free to believe the bible over me - but your bible is full of fables and falsities.

Last edited by 303Guy; 09-08-2019 at 12:37 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It should not have succeeded IF Jesus was the Son of the Israeli WAR GOD that they believed in! He should have "smote" them all as I am sure Judas fully expected. But He is the Son of the God who IS Agape love who forgives them because they were too ignorant to know what they were doing!
This is an assumption on your part. You cannot know that Christianity as a warlike cult (Like Mithraism) would not have succeeded as well or even better. You can hardly ignore that Jesus was turned into a sabre -rattling flag -waver at need, when Christianity urged on to righteous wars against the evil forces of darkness who had to be defeated to preserve the True religion even though they were often worshippers of the same God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or