U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM

57,355 posts, read 55,577,829 times

Advertisements

Most of you know that I'm a 9/11 survivor from the World Trade Center. Some of you also know that I've spoken and written about how the people at the WTC from a wide range of cultures and religions worked side by side, respecting one another and finding our commonalities rather than our differences.

Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Pagans, Atheists, and others I am surely omitting died that day, including 84 of my coworkers, while others ran out of those buildings side by side.

In July of this year, I saw the musical Come From Away on Broadway. Come From Away is based on the true story of the small town in Newfoundland, Canada, that wound up with 38 planes holding thousands of passengers who were forced to land at the Gander Airport because US airspace was closed and who were taken in and cared for by the people of Gander and nearby towns.

As in the World Trade Center, the people were a mix of cultures and religions, now bound by being stranded together in a strange place. This song "Prayer" is from the musical, and is based on the Prayer of St. Francis interspersed with the prayers of Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu passengers. Take a moment to listen.

Peace be with you all today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJc..._NDfJk&index=2

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

16,043 posts, read 12,493,860 times
Quote:
Come From Away is based on the true story of the small town in Newfoundland, Canada, that wound up with 38 planes holding thousands of passengers who were forced to land at the Gander Airport because US airspace was closed and who were taken in and cared for by the people of Gander and nearby towns.
Thank you...Yes, my sister/brother-in-law were stuck in Newfoundland!! Oh brother.

Rest in Peace All... and blessings to all the First Responders suffering so much now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

11,459 posts, read 11,159,727 times
A lot of people are remembering with silence today, by refraining from posting on social media between 8:46 AM and 10:28 AM Easter time. That marks the time from the first airplane hitting the towers until the second building came down.

Time starts in 2 minutes.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

23,895 posts, read 10,838,969 times
It was a horrible day. I was meeting with our PTA executive board and my secretary came in and told that a plane had hit the WTC. Then a few minutes later, she came in to tell us another plane had hit the towers. We abruptly canceled our meeting. My school was located 7 miles from the Pentagon and about halfway in between the Pentagon and the CIA headquarters in Langley. Unfounded rumors began to fly of apartment buildings and grocery stores and other public places in our area being bombed. Then the Pentagon was hit. Parents began arriving at the school to take their children home. Panic all around. I remember going to bed that night wondering if I would be alive the next morning.

After a few days we began having special meetings to tell us how to protect our school and children in case of chemical or biological attack...which sort of made me laugh because it reminded me of drills where we hit under our desks in school back the the late 1950s in order to protect ourselves from atomic bomb blasts. Our school had an odd design, and the only way you could shut off the power system was to go out from the main part of the building and enter the power room from the outside. I had to assign a person who would do that in the case of a biological or chemical attack (and our school was on higher alert because we were one property away from one of the largest Jewish temples in the region). I told you head custodian he was the person who would have to go outside to turn off the HVAC, and he said, "But that means I'll die". There was a crazy drive to collect duct tape so that teachers could quickly duct tape the walls of windows most of our classrooms had. In other words, no one knew what could or should be done, but everyone felt the need to do something.

The next spring I drove to Florida to visit my mother. I stopped in Brunswick, Georgia on old US-17 to take a photo (a hobby) of a beautiful, new suspension bridge that had been recently opened. Suddenly I was surrounded by 4 police cars, was questioned for about 15 minutes, the had to fill out papers, and finally released. They finally told me the issue -- I was photographing infrastructure a few days ahead of an international conference that was going to be held on one of the nearby Sea Islands. I was told I could go ahead and do my photography, but that if the bridge was blown up during the conference, that I should expect a visit from the FBI.

For many months after 9/11, if you went down to the National Mall to the Smithsonian Museums or Capitol, etc., you would see anti-aircraft guns on the Capitol lawn, and military helicopters were constantly flying overhead.

Scary times. But how lucky we are. For the most part we are a relatively safe and secure country. Having lived in Thailand during political riots there, I am thankful for the life our country gives us.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Thank you, phet ..we all have our stories we feel to express and share.
MQ's is regretfully so profound.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

23,895 posts, read 10,838,969 times
We had a guidance counselor in our school was Jewish. I would say on a scale of 1-10, in terms of "Jewishness", he would have been an 8. The day after 9/11 he went to the local Islamic Mosque and sat down with some of the Muslims to just chat and tell them that he did not blame them for what had happened. I thought that took courage.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We had a guidance counselor in our school was Jewish. I would say on a scale of 1-10, in terms of "Jewishness", he would have been an 8. The day after 9/11 he went to the local Islamic Mosque and sat down with some of the Muslims to just chat and tell them that he did not blame them for what had happened. I thought that took courage.
Very big thank you for telling us that.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

57,355 posts, read 55,577,829 times
Thanks, phet, for sharing your story! I always like to hear about what other people experienced that day, and it's especially interesting to hear what was going on in other parts of the country. Schools were very sensitive to security at that time. I forgot all about the run on duct tape and plastic, too. Thatwhole bit got a little crazy.

I have a friend in Arlington not far from the Pentagon. I keep meaning to visit the memorial there, but every time I've visited my friend, it's the summer, and it's just too damn hot in DC.

I did chuckle a bit about your experience with the bridge. I worked for a public agency that owns/maintains bridges among other assets, and in the last part of my career I managed a couple of procurements for two major bridge projects. Some of the proposers would want to photograph the bridges as part of their proposal prep, and some didn't realize that they had to make arrangements to do so through me or the police would be all over them.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

897 posts, read 111,927 times
Beautiful. Thank you for posting this, MQ. May peace be with you on this day of remembrance.

For those who are unfamiliar with the prayer for peace that is sung by the rabbi in this video, here is an English translation of the Hebrew words: May the One who makes peace in high places make peace upon us, and on all Israel, and let us say amen. This prayer is taken from the final lines of the Mourner's Kaddish.

I think it's important to note that, in the years following 9/11, four additional Hebrew words have been added to that traditional prayer and are now recited in many synagogues these days:

Oseh shalom bim'romav,
hu ya'aseh shalom aleinu,
v’al kol Yisrael,
v’al kol yoshvei teiveil,
v’imru, v'imru amen.

May the One who makes peace in high places
make peace upon us,
and on all Israel,
and on all who inhabit the earth.
And let us say, amen.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

6,562 posts, read 1,817,328 times
I saw a video on Facebook about that town. Fascinating how they just opened their doors. It was really neat to see them serve strangers like they did.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Got into work and was told of a plane hitting the tower. the internet was crashed from too much traffic. I turned on a tv and saw it on fire. I called my wife and told her to turn on the tv. I remember her asking "What channel?" My reply was "Any. Doesn't matter".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or