U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM

529 posts, read 301,259 times

Advertisements

I don't see why Christians seem to be so focused on telling me I still need to be with God, as if my own personal disappointment and struggles aren't understandable. There are some things about Christian belief and God that disappoints me, I slowly left it during the last 15 years. I'm disappointed that things don't really seem the way that is consistent with how God is "supposed" to be. If given the option to just not exist or have consciousness anymore I'd rather take it than the options of either Heaven or Hell. One is like a cult-like utopian bliss where everyone there is super strict and the other is a place of never ending torment. And either way, you are slave to the master.

I'm also not an atheist. I continue having belief in God. But I've had disappointments. All I wish is that some Christians find that understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM

5,954 posts, read 2,965,444 times
As an atheist I see no reason to 'worship' anything or anyone. Why would anyone want to do that? That's just my take on things.

As far as disappointments go, I have had a few but again, being atheist, I do not associate those disappointments with any god or religion. I do however see them as reason enough not to suspect that there is any 'higher being' in control of my destiny.

Given those disappointments, I sure as hell would not want to 'worship' the being responsible, even if it only sat back and allowed those things to happen.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 PM

16,572 posts, read 9,056,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I don't see why Christians seem to be so focused on telling me I still need to be with God, as if my own personal disappointment and struggles aren't understandable. There are some things about Christian belief and God that disappoints me, I slowly left it during the last 15 years. I'm disappointed that things don't really seem the way that is consistent with how God is "supposed" to be. If given the option to just not exist or have consciousness anymore I'd rather take it than the options of either Heaven or Hell. One is like a cult-like utopian bliss where everyone there is super strict and the other is a place of never ending torment. And either way, you are slave to the master.

I'm also not an atheist. I continue having belief in God. But I've had disappointments. All I wish is that some Christians find that understandable.
I think you’re missing the point of Christianity. All of us have “missed the mark” in this life. We’ve made mistakes where we acted in an un-loving manner toward others and even ourself. We have regrets. That puts us in a state of opposition with God, our Creator. But He says, “I forgive you for your mistakes. Come to me with your burdens and I will give you rest.” That resonates with many.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,798,396 times
Quote:

I totally understand. What I’ve experienced myself is that we will have disappointments and there is nothing God can do about it other than be there to comfort us. I know God doesn’t answer all prayers. Some things we pray for are beyond His ability to help us.

But I do know there is one prayer He will always answer and that is when we pray for His Love to fill our soul. When this prayer goes up to God, His highest energy, the Holy Spirit, will deliver His very substance in our soul. This is God’s gift to us. Free for the asking... it’s in the atmosphere and surrounds each and all of us. It brings an uplifting happiness and is the ultimate soul saver.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 PM

40,366 posts, read 11,367,678 times
All I'm hearing is the Good Old: 'Never mind anything that gives you reason to Doubt and Question; just dismiss all that and have Unquestioning Faith".

Clearly, this doesn't work for all which is why increasing numbers of people are turning to irreligion, because they can no longer have faith in what no longer makes sense.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 AM

8,158 posts, read 7,169,835 times
People worship the true God because they Love Him , God brings them the only hope and expectation for life which does not exist outside of God`s kingdom

Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM

351 posts, read 45,850 times
I understand what you are getting at--- I think. I went through many years of struggle, and still have some. For me it was not being able to figure out how there could be a God and suffering at the same time. I still haven't resolved that logically, but it's evolving. What are your disappointments about God/Christianity, specifically, if you would care to share them?

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

3,953 posts, read 1,222,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think you’re missing the point of Christianity. All of us have “missed the mark” in this life. We’ve made mistakes where we acted in an un-loving manner toward others and even ourself. We have regrets. That puts us in a state of opposition with God, our Creator. But He says, “I forgive you for your mistakes. Come to me with your burdens and I will give you rest.” That resonates with many.
Are you going to be able to hit the mark in your next life jimmies?

If so why would you be able to do in another life and miss the mark in this life?

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

16,059 posts, read 12,499,373 times
Quote:
I'm also not an atheist. I continue having belief in God.
But I've had disappointments. All I wish is that some Christians find that understandable.
I'm probably the biggest lover of God you will ever know, to introduce myself.

I see NO reason to believe in or think you need to worship God. There.

Where you are on this path of life is perfect for you in every way, right now.
Enjoy yourself, be good, be content....have fun! Drop any unsubstantiated concepts of God
given by others!
If you care to try to 'feel' this Being you believe in...sit in quiet stillness; peacefully ask within yourself...and
stay open to receive 'something'....lol, it doesn't necessarily take one time for 10 minutes, tho...
it could...nothing's impossible. Ha!

This love of or worship of God comes naturally when you experience 'Him', directly.
Otherwise, it is like loving a picture of a puppy...is that really love when you don't even know the puppy himself?
He could be a terror in real life !!!!

Gotta 'know' anything you love...let alone worship! Right?

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

6,585 posts, read 1,821,142 times
Quote:

If one is a Christian, it should come natural that they'd want to worship God. That doesn't mean that you need to be air-headed with a distant stare, in a bliss, as you say. It means that you want to serve him, to be around other Christians, and to learn more about him, and to know him. If you don't like the church your friends are in, it's ok. Find a good church that teaches God's word, and commit to it.

If you're not a Christian, then I see no real reason why anyone would expect you to want to. The Bible tells us that if we're not a Christian, then our hearts are not set on God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or