Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd guess. There is a kind of person who follows the teachings as a moral guide and doesn't worry overmuch about the supernatural stuff.
Which can be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 12:16 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
May I presume that is based on biblical principles, rather than stories?
I have not read any of his works, so I do not know. But this is his Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_L._Brodie

Old 10-12-2019, 04:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which can be a good thing.
Well....like the cafeteria Christian, it is easier to do business with these people, and if fact, on paper, could be and should be in the irreligion camp ("Nones"). But what so often happens is that this residual attachment to the Bible or the religion puts them in the Christian camp if not actually voting for God's Own party even if or when (1) they put up an ape for president.

Anyhoo, rather than go down the road of ''liberal Christians bend, Fundamentalists stand or break" road, I'll stay on your case and remark that keeping the Bible on as a moral guide is better than believing the tosh, but I reckon it is just an excuse to hang onto a book we no longer need. Even when (borrowing from human morality without adding some religious screw -up that makes it silly) it gets something right, human morality did it first. When it gets it wrong or is just silly, like thought -crimes or 'hit me again' pacifism (which of course is the last thing we actually get with Christianity ) or giving everything to the poor..so they'll have to give it back to you, of course (1a). At best, the Bible is no better a moral guide than humanist morality and at less than the best, is far less good. We really Don't need it anymore (1b) and in fact would be far better off without it.

(1) twice now.

(1a) which being interpreted means 'Give everything you have to the church. We'll then use that for obligating the vulnerable in hopes to convert them'.

(1b) though I am aware of the 'Mojo' (as our long gone and sorely missed (2) Pal GldnRl would say) that the Bible has as focus of moral advice when humanist morality has no such focus.

(2) like a nagging toothache.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:44 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,078 times
Quote:
Remove the Bible And What Evidence Is Left For Jesus' Resurrection
The Bible is not evidence, it is just old stories & parables etc. It can't be used as proof of anything. And if you remove it from the world then most all the people in the world will still remember the story of Jesus & be able to write it down again, wherever they are.

People know by heart the general meaning of The Bible, in the sense that they know they will go to heaven if they are good, or to Hell if they are bad. It's really all about Jesus & His Interpretation of the purpose of religion, & His example of how to live life correctly without sin.

That's what I believe

Old 10-13-2019, 10:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
The Bible is not evidence, it is just old stories & parables etc. It can't be used as proof of anything. And if you remove it from the world then most all the people in the world will still remember the story of Jesus & be able to write it down again, wherever they are.

People know by heart the general meaning of The Bible, in the sense that they know they will go to heaven if they are good, or to Hell if they are bad. It's really all about Jesus & His Interpretation of the purpose of religion, & His example of how to live life correctly without sin.

That's what I believe

You can learn all that from reading Aesop's fables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality