Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM

667 posts, read 516,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It appears that the god of the bible is a good example of what the epitome of evil would look like. The god of the bible is supposed to be omnicient and therefore knows the past, present and future. This means that he will know everything you will do, including whether or not you'll believe in his existence, billions of years before you're even born. Another problem is that this is all god's fault. He created Adam and Eve, knowing they would sin beforehand, yet created them anyways. Instead of punishing them, he then goes on to blame and condemn the billions of people throughout history because of this. Another problem with your reasoning is that it says god is utterly incapable of forgiveness. What you're saying is that god can forgive Hitler, but not atheists like Richard Dawkins or Ayaan Hirsi Ali even though they have lived virtuous lives and worked for the betterment of humanity. Is god completely powerless? If god is the creator of everything, why didn't he just create everyone sinless or, rather than creating some loophole, why can't he forgive humanity instead of condemning? Why does god disregard the actions of someone? Why did he make humanity worthy of nothing more than deserving of eternal torment and agony? Also, why is belief the only way for god to be able to forgive someone? Is he so incompetent that he can't just forgive someone? This is why I find the belief in hell to be rather despicable and any god that would do such a thing is nothing more than a megalomaniacal sociopath.
It reminds me of this video:

The Thing That God Can't Do - YouTube

It appears you have a lot of anger that I cannot help you with.

I would continue to answer your questions but I do not think you care for any answer that does not fit your rage.

I wish you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
most often it seems it's because they commited the unforgivable sin of thinking for themselves
I don't see that as a problem in the Bible.

Why would you think that?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Fullback, one problem here is comparing God to humans rather than seeing humans compared to God.
I wasn't the one comparing god to humans, the writers did. Add to it that we are told that we are made in his "likeness" to which most priests and pastors when I was a Christian explained meant not the physical likeness, but the nature (mind, spirit, body). If that is the case, is not reasonable to expect god, our creator and father, to act more human than human?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I wasn't the one comparing god to humans, the writers did. Add to it that we are told that we are made in his "likeness" to which most priests and pastors when I was a Christian explained meant not the physical likeness, but the nature (mind, spirit, body). If that is the case, is not reasonable to expect god, our creator and father, to act more human than human?
Again, I think you are looking at this from the wrong direction.

God is not more human, we are to be more godly.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Again, I think you are looking at this from the wrong direction.

God is not more human, we are to be more godly.
Then, if that is the case, I suppose that what most of us would consider attrocities such as the Inquistion, the Crusades or forced conversion of the indigenous people of the Americas (believe or die) are all good then and justified. Afterall, that is pretty much god's example with the hell doctrine, isn't it?

Here's question, the 10 Commandments say, "Thou shalt not kill." Yet, throughout the Old Testament, god goes on killing sprees? There's even some in the New Testament: Jesus, Herod struck down by an angel, Ananias and Sapphira killed for lying and, of course, all the deaths to come in the Apocalypse according to Fundamentalists. So if god commands humans not to kill, yet god kills anything he doesn't like and we are to be more godly, then we should go and smite anything or anybody that doesn't agree us in matters of faith. But then there's that tricky commandment which apparently god doesn't have to follow himself. Kind of a double-standard dontcha think?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Then, if that is the case, I suppose that what most of us would consider attrocities such as the Inquistion, the Crusades or forced conversion of the indigenous people of the Americas (believe or die) are all good then and justified. Afterall, that is pretty much god's example with the hell doctrine, isn't it?

Here's question, the 10 Commandments say, "Thou shalt not kill." Yet, throughout the Old Testament, god goes on killing sprees? There's even some in the New Testament: Jesus, Herod struck down by an angel, Ananias and Sapphira killed for lying and, of course, all the deaths to come in the Apocalypse according to Fundamentalists. So if god commands humans not to kill, yet god kills anything he doesn't like and we are to be more godly, then we should go and smite anything or anybody that doesn't agree us in matters of faith. But then there's that tricky commandment which apparently god doesn't have to follow himself. Kind of a double-standard dontcha think?
God says that vengence is His.

It seems you are really pissed that you are not God.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
God says that vengence is His.

It seems you are really pissed that you are not God.
That is not an answer. And, no, I don't want the job. If there is a god, I would like it make some measure of sense though. His "people" and most religions certainly don't.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for punishment and ridding society of those who do evil upon others, but......I'm also a very forgiving and understanding person. I realize people make mistakes and need second chances. We all do, we all have and we all will make mistakes in our lives.

The one aspect about Christianity is the fire and hell. I mean eternity, last I checked is a pretty long time. If God created us in his own image, then why would someone who lived an un-Godly life have to suffer in burning hell for eternity? Or what about the nice sincere Indian lady, whom because she did not "ask Jesus into her heart" will also have to burn in hell forever???????? This aspect of Christian belief seems waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to harsh for me to accept?

The bible tells us God is a forgiving God, he IS love and understanding. I know we can repent and have a choice to be saved, BUT, some people still are not going to do this and defi God. I agree perhaps they should face punishment, BUT BURN IN HELL FOREVER? Come on. Even my hard azz self, if I were the creator would eventually look down there into hell and feel sorry and want to give these people (souls) another chance.

Do you people really believe that forever in hell, means that? What about the relatives? My mother for instance would really have a hard time picturing me, her son burning in hell forever and she is about as Christian as they come by.
Would this not be a punishment for her too, torment knowing her son is burning alive forever? I honestly believe many lost souls will be given one last chance, but perhaps I'm wrong?
This is the way I'm seeing it nowadays:

Who knows anymore?? He expects you to follow all of His crap but does absolutely nothing to help along the way except throw up a bunch of roadblocks. Holding it over our heads Jesus die for us!!! is not cutting it anymore. Personally, I would've instructed his father not to do it but I wasn't given a vote, so I don't see how that's my fault now.

So anyway my opinion as to why so many get condemned to hell is because they just gave up, threw up their hands, like I'm in the process of doing. If He wants everyone to go to heaven, should've actually lended a hand when it was needed in people lives and maybe some of those people would've stayed on His path.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It appears that the god of the bible is a good example of what the epitome of evil would look like.
You are absolutely correct.

Anyone who reads the first sentence in Chapter 31 of the Book of Numbers will agree with you.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:14 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Quote:
It appears you have a lot of anger that I cannot help you with.

I would continue to answer your questions but I do not think you care for any answer that does not fit your rage.

I wish you well.
This is just ignorant and condescending. Pointing out flaws in a belief isn't anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality