U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,310,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Personally, there was no combination of repenting, sincere belief, and dedication to God and Jesus that resulted in any effect on me. When I was younger, I completely and earnestly sought a relationship with the Christian God, but I never felt his presence.

It wasn't until years later that I became skeptical that the stuff in the bible was even true. Now, of course, I see through it all and realize how the bible came about and why it's just a myth. (In retrospect, I feel silly for believing all that as long as I did.) Still, until my early 20's, I tried to find God like a person who is convinced he was going to burn in hell if he didn't. All I could do was pretend to feel God's love, but there was never anything to it. It was always me trying to convince myself that I could feel something. I repented, dedicated my life as God's servant, believed with all my heart that Jesus was his son, etc. For obvious reasons, nothing worked.

So while the Christians on here will argue about what exactly a person must do to become saved, I can tell from experience that each path is as futile as the next. No matter whether one says a pre-scripted prayer, or whether they ad-lib, the only presence of God one will find is a placebo.
That's absolutely not true, Boxcar. It may be true in your case, but just because it was for you, does not mean it is universal. I'm sorry you didn't feel His love, and you have every right to believe the way you want, but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-13-2009, 10:22 AM

5,350 posts, read 2,931,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
That's absolutely not true, Boxcar. It may be true in your case, but just because it was for you, does not mean it is universal. I'm sorry you didn't feel His love, and you have every right to believe the way you want, but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.
I appreciate your point of view. But I think most people in this thread have expressed their opinion about what the "true" path to salvation is, and they meant that it was true for everyone. I'm only giving my opinion on that matter, just like the rest of you. And just like the rest of you, I think what I believe applies to everyone.

I don't think it matters what combination of words one recites, whether one honestly believes them, whether one repents, etc. Not only do I not think that you will get eternal life that way, I also don't think you will feel appreciable different after that. I do think a person may pretend to feel jesus when they don't, though. For example, if they go to a church that expects saved people to speak in tongues, they'll speak in tongues, etc. But it won't be real.

Just like you believe you know the truth about this matter, I'm pretty sure I do to. I don't think anything happens regardless of what one believes or says. Sorry.

Unread 06-13-2009, 10:33 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,310,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I appreciate your point of view. But I think most people in this thread have expressed their opinion about what the "true" path to salvation is, and they meant that it was true for everyone. I'm only giving my opinion on that matter, just like the rest of you. And just like the rest of you, I think what I believe applies to everyone.

I don't think it matters what combination of words one recites, whether one honestly believes them, whether one repents, etc. Not only do I not think that you will get eternal life that way, I also don't think you will feel appreciable different after that. I do think a person may pretend to feel jesus when they don't, though. For example, if they go to a church that expects saved people to speak in tongues, they'll speak in tongues, etc. But it won't be real.

Just like you believe you know the truth about this matter, I'm pretty sure I do to. I don't think anything happens regardless of what one believes or says. Sorry.
I totally understand, and respect your position.

Unread 08-27-2009, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 367 times
being faithfully and obident to god is one way of showing him your sorry. Also he knows that you have sinned and is waiting for you to confess it and repent for it. You don't need online prayers to help you,when you ask for forgiveness it just comes to you =]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality