U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,426,009 times
There never has been any unity from what I have observed. The last one I remember had 3 major parties within the organization.

1) Conservative

2) Moderate

3) Liberal

I don't recall the bible mentioning conservative, moderate or liberal before. The other problem is the racial tensions between whites and blacks Baptist churches. Never understood that one either. The media has exposed many of these issues over the past decades.

Ghandi said it best: "I like your Christ. I just don't like your Christians".
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM

244 posts, read 251,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
There never has been any unity from what I have observed. The last one I remember had 3 major parties within the organization.

1) Conservative

2) Moderate

3) Liberal
There are liberal Southern Baptists? Are they actually liberal as compared to the population at large, or just as compared to other Southern Baptists?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,806,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
They also love scaring their kids with "Hell Houses".
What in the hell is a "Hell House"?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,835,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
What in the hell is a "Hell House"?
Did you see the Halloween episode of King of the Hill where Bobby gets involved in a church that despises Halloween?
Hank loves his Halloween tradition, but Bobby's new church swears that it is demonic and they have a Hell House party instead of trick or treating. Hell House is a "scary" substitute for a "haunted" house because they act out some of the punishments in Hell there.
I have no idea what a real-life one is like.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,806,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Did you see the Halloween episode of King of the Hill where Bobby gets involved in a church that despises Halloween?
Hank loves his Halloween tradition, but Bobby's new church swears that it is demonic and they have a Hell House party instead of trick or treating. Hell House is a "scary" substitute for a "haunted" house because they act out some of the punishments in Hell there.
I have no idea what a real-life one is like.
OH my gosh.. I'm crying at work..

King of the Hill Quotes: "Hilloween"

classics..

JUNIE: Why don't we start things off with a little quiz?
LUANNE: Oh, I hope it's open-Bible.

JUNIE: So you told him about the Druids and the candy-corn and he still thinks Halloween is just for fun?
LUANNE: Uh-huh. I felt so stupid.
JUNIE: Oh, no. First of all, in the eyes of the Lord you're a genius. The devil likes to fool you into thinking you're stupid, because it makes it easier for him to trick you. But if you think you're smart, you can resist him. Do you see what I'm saying?
LUANNE: I'm not sure.
JUNIE: SATAN BEGONE!!! Now do you see?
LUANNE: Yes.

LUANNE: Junie Harper says a haunted house is the Devil's mousetrap, and fun is the cheese.
HANK: Luanne, just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talking.
LUANNE: Junie says I'm smart, so don't try to trick me into thinking I'm not!

PEGGY: I go to church too, and I have raffled and bingoed and bake-saled my way as close to the good Lord as you. So do not try to one-up me, because I will one-up yours.
JUNIE: "The complacency of fools will destroy them." -- Proverbs.
HANK: "Get out of my house." -- Exodus.

DALE: The vandalism upon my house can only be described as a hate crime. Somebody hates me.
COUNCILMAN: Let the record show that somebody hates Dale Gribble.

I love king of the hill

Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

10,566 posts, read 11,907,685 times
That show is great! If you've never spent time in Texas, you might not appreciate it though.

Hell House, I believe, was started at that Arvada, CO mega church - maybe the same one somebody shot up not too long ago. Anyway, they have some sort of vignettes that show things like a gay AIDS victim and a woman who had an abortion burning in hell, writhing in agony, etc. When they first started it, it was very controversial. Then they franchised the idea out to other like-minded churches around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality