Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Better to search the still small voice, searching the scriptures alone was a correction that Jesus gave the Jews.

YOu search the scriptures, and in them you think you'll find eternal life, and they testify of me.
Christ is the eternal life we are to seek, not the letter.

godspeed,

freedom

Wow,you sure took that out of context!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM

205 posts, read 374,454 times
god created mankind for and with a desired purpose,....and that he could share a relationship of love ,as well as rulership and dominion......god gave mankind the freedom to function as the legal authority on earth ,....when he said let them have dominion,...............adam and eve broke their relationship with god and there effectiveness in prayer was also broken..........now to restore god's purpose, jesus had to come as a representative of legal authority of earth, jesus had to come as a human being as the second adam, to restore or reclaim the kingdom and relationship back to man......... a major principle regarding our authority and power in prayer is our right to use the name of jesus,........... pray with authority because only spirits with bodys are legal hear on earth........satin doesn't have a body hear on earth ...that what makes him elegal on earth

Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM

246 posts, read 649,210 times
Default do you have ears?

God's will is known in His Word and by Him revealing truth to you by His Holy Spirit.

He isn't a God of bait and switch tactics or a God who tries to evade being known. He wants to be known and for His will to be known. Hedesires for us to have intimate relationship with Him. Like a Father to a child... Does a child say I do not ever know what my Father wills? Of course, not! And in the times that aren't clearly communicated, the son asks and the Father answers.

And, He can definitely tell you His will for specific things/situations/circumstances. You just have to aks Him to show you and then wait for Him to answer.

We may not know everything at any given moment of God is doing, and He has His reason, His plan, and perfect timing. but, He surely does let His will be known over the whole earth and for those who have ears....

Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
The problem with the Bible and God's will is that you have to listen and understand the context in which the things are being said.
So in order to understand another person you not only need to listen to what this person is saying, but you also need to understand where he is coming from. And to understand another person you need to do more than just use your ears.
Many Christians only limit themselves to the literal interpretation of the Bible and these people have proven that they limit themselves to only using their 'ears'.
Unfortunately this explains why most Christians emphasize the obeying part (the easiest way) instead of the understanding part (the most difficult road to travel).

Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM

571 posts, read 852,993 times
The problems with Christians and most religions, is that there is no Philosophy behind it. in fact they reject philosophy thinkings its blasphemy. This creates close mindedness in a person.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM

13 posts, read 30,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I have a simple question for the believers on this forum..

Many non-literal believers will answer questions on this forum with 'I think that God wants this', or 'God is merciful and will do this', or 'I'm sure God wouldn't want that', by definition claiming to know God's will or intentions. By claiming to know that which one could not possibly know, one's argument is automatically off the table. So..

How can you claim to 'know' God's will?
Can't possibly know huh? This is for all the ignorant, pay close attention now. Read this as if your life depends on it.

Proverb:1:7: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Psalms:111:10: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Psalms:25:14: The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.

Proverb:9:10: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

See it is very possible to know exactly what God wants. Now lookie here at this.

Proverb:1:20: Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
Proverb:1:21: She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
Proverb:1:22: How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Proverb:1:23: Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Proverb:1:24: Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
Proverb:1:25: But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
Proverb:1:26: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
Proverb:1:27: When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Proverb:1:28: Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
Proverb:1:29: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
Proverb:1:30: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
Proverb:1:31: Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
Proverb:1:32: For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
Proverb:1:33: But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Understand?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by.....think
Quote:
in fact they reject philosophy thinkings its blasphemy.
Isn't this in fact a philosophy?
Granted, its not a good one, but it still is a philosophy.

Originally Posted by cronnie36
Quote:
Proverb:9:10: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
If you only fear God there is no need to understand God, which only makes people obedient instead of growing wise.
I mean, did Jesus sacrifice himself because he feared God, or because he understood what God was asking of him?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The problem with the Bible and God's will is that you have to listen and understand the context in which the things are being said.
So in order to understand another person you not only need to listen to what this person is saying, but you also need to understand where he is coming from. And to understand another person you need to do more than just use your ears.
Many Christians only limit themselves to the literal interpretation of the Bible and these people have proven that they limit themselves to only using their 'ears'.
Unfortunately this explains why most Christians emphasize the obeying part (the easiest way) instead of the understanding part (the most difficult road to travel).
yes, and much understanding and revelation comes from the Holy Spirit - regardless of the level of edu-ma-cation any human might have. (and, too, a good concordance and dictionary) But, still I've found that the Holy Spirit is the only one to really reveal and broaden one's understanding - no matter how much studying one might to do help themself understand. I know I've read and studied tons and each time can take away something new - much of it has to do with where one is at in their own life and what God is doing in and through them - IMHO

Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by cronnie36 If you only fear God there is no need to understand God, which only makes people obedient instead of growing wise.
I mean, did Jesus sacrifice himself because he feared God, or because he understood what God was asking of him?
It's not the "I'm scared of Him fear" - it's more like a reverance and acknowledgement of His position and authority over all things. knowing that it is He who gives life or takes it away (allows it to be taken away).

Jesus totally understood what was being asked of Him. And, He knew who was in charge.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by GausJAMS
Quote:
Jesus totally understood what was being asked of Him. And, He knew who was in charge.
Did Jesus then fear God?

Quote:
And, He knew who was in charge.
So faith has nothing to do with free will?
Or are you really saying that Jesus had absolutely no choice in the matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality