Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 02:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,393,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Should the story of Adam and Eve be taken literally or metaphorically?
Most metaphors were once (or are continuously) real and given that this is supposed to be deep history, then the answer is probably closer to "both".

Especially considering that humans engage in "fallen" behaviors and that these behaviors have been observed for millenia.

If you are asking as to whether or not a man was made from literal dirt and breath, and a woman was made from his literal rib, and then they were literally dictated to by their God, as ambulatory thinking beings, then your guess is as good as mine.

I think that it is likely literal to a point, and metaphorical to a point.

Though, the Egyptians did hold that the World was created with magic, they were around when I was not, and were writing before most. Who am I to disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyWillis View Post
In other words, it is all just a Fairy Tale.
Watchu talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?...

Old 09-26-2020, 10:35 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Watchu talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?...
Ha, ha, ha, ha. Good one!

Old 09-27-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
The entire milieu of gods and religions and the like.
You’re a millennial, aren’t you?...

Old 09-28-2020, 11:52 AM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Born in mid - 50s, so I guess you're wrong.
Young whipper snapper!

Old 09-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Born in mid - 50s, so I guess you're wrong.
And you missed my series reference?...

Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 AM

250 posts, read 147,906 times
"I think that it is likely literal to a point, and metaphorical to a point."

I agree. This entire thread though (and others like it) leads me to think that if the details were important, some clarification would be provided from the Creator. Otherwise, it seems suspect that we are left to try and figure out what can never be proven.

"Though, the Egyptians did hold that the World was created with magic, they were around when I was not"

This actually makes sense because of all the "mystery" that surrounds us. Like a story that gets passed around from person to person, it changes the more it is told. Maybe the evidence found that supports this Egyption belief, is closer to the truth than what has been told in later times?

Old 10-02-2020, 09:19 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,953,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
"I think that it is likely literal to a point, and metaphorical to a point.".......................
This actually makes sense because of all the "mystery" that surrounds us. Like a story that gets passed around from person to person, it changes the more it is told. Maybe the evidence found that supports this Egyption belief, is closer to the truth than what has been told in later times?
The ^ above ^ reminds me of the game ' whisper down the lane ' ( it changes with person and time )
However, there is NO changing with the Genesis account. That remains the same.
Adam and Eve were real people and they are the first parents of all of humanity.
Thus, we all come from father Adam and mother Eve, then tracing from Noah and family to us.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:43 PM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The ^ above ^ reminds me of the game ' whisper down the lane ' ( it changes with person and time )
Adam and Eve were real people and they are the first parents of all of humanity.
Thus, we all come from father Adam and mother Eve, then tracing from Noah and family to us.
What race were they?

Old 10-03-2020, 05:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
this reminds me of a person that swore they saw Elvis. "I know what I saw".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality