Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times

Advertisements

Goodpasture, sadly the only way some people can validate themselves is to put someone else down.
When it comes down to the nitty gritty, those people say nothing about the native american culture and a whole lot about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Goodpasture, sadly the only way some people can validate themselves is to put someone else down.
When it comes down to the nitty gritty, those people say nothing about the native american culture and a whole lot about themselves.
you know masonsdaughter, I find it interesting that those that criticize the most usually have not taken the time to learn about the culture that they're criticizing about and because of that they miss out on a great deal of knowledge. If we take the time to sit down and learn about other cultures, whether we agree with them or not, we can learn a lot more about that particular culture and then if we wish to criticize it, at least we are doing it from a place of knowledge but more than likely we will find that we really have very little to criticize. To criticize another person's culture or belief is to do so from a place of ignorance.osay

Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
My grandmother (my mothers mother) denied being Cherokee. She was nearly a full blood, but only her father was on the roles as being Cherokee and that was not the Dawes Commission role. I grew up knowing of my Hawaiian history (sort of) as my grandfather (mothers father) was proud of his heritage. He was full blood Hawaiian. My fathers people were Swiss, Irish, English, etc and I have found no evidence of intermarriage with native peoples. My great great great grandfather died in the Creek Wars in the early 1800's after settling on Cherokee lands that the Cherokee sold to the European/Americans.

But Native Americans heritage followed the mother. My mother was half Hawaiian and half Cherokee. I am Cherokee.

The last post I made shared a video but I could not find the name of the song.........I searched and found the name and the lyrics.

Quote:
"I Have No Indian Name"

Where was my grandmother
D'you ever let her know
You had a brown-skin daughter
Chose to let her go
Did she drown in dirty water
Was she broken by the snow
When the Jesus people caught her
Like a little crippled crow

I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
Is the rainbow just a color or the blood inside my veins
I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
My tears smoke the fire as I stand inside the rain

You forgot to kiss me mama
Did you ever feel a thing
For the one who was my father
Is he the one you blame
For this watered down creation
You never called your own
I cry out to the spirit baby raven all alone

I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name

I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
No, I have no Indian name

I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name
Oh, You forgot to kiss me mama
I have no Indian name
I have no Indian name

By: Rita Coolidge. Laura Satterfield, Priscilla Coolidge
I ask forgiveness in advance for my constant references to my ndn heritage. Some of what I put out is just pride in my forefathers and mothers. Some is just pride in those I consider my people. Some is stuff that I am just discovering. I do not want to make those of other heritages feel less or to imply that Cherokee is superior in some way.......it isn't. Much of the Celtic traditions and actions are similar to those of both my Hawaiian traditions and my Cherokee traditions. We have these things in common. And I have found that culture is best expressed in the arts.....music, paintings, sculpture, poems.........so I tend to share those things that are easy to share.....the poetry and music of the Cherokee, of the Hawaiian.........of my heritage.

But in a sacred circle, in a circle of light, we are equal

Quote:
Circle of Light

I'm not right
And you're not wrong
I don't know what this love
of ours is built upon
We are shadows
Tiny sparrows
Safe inside
Clear blue sky
Of another storm
Moving in and out of time
In and out of the Circle of life
We are children of the angels
Keepers of the fire
We are children of the angels

Reaching for the light
We are not Strangers
We are all brothers
I know we came here to love each other
Here, in the circle of life
Each one thinks
He has the answer
Each believes that he can see
The way, the only way
Truth lies waiting
Was always waiting
Like a love
A peaceful dove
Right there inside your soul
From another place and time
Moving into a circle of light

YouTube - "Walela" sings "Circle of Light". Indian mood song.

If you find my posts tiresome or repetitious, let me know, please.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Goodpasture, there is much wisdom in the Native American Cultures as with all cultures. I, for one, thank all of the posters here who try to give us an insight in different lifestyles and worldviews. I was thinking the other day as I was quietly sitting here in the circle, how amazing it is that we have this place in the cyberworld where we can sit and discuss or listen and it is done with such a feeling of respect and peace.

Ptsum, My father kept a plac above the washstand which said "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes". Dad was pretty smart, and if he hung something on the wall where we would see if every time we washed our hands, I figured I might want to pay attention.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
He got to sleep with Rita Cooledge for several years........I would try to sing myself for that...........

She is Tsa La Ghi, you know................
As would I, and yes she is!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You know, people who say ndn's don't contribute to society or simply should stay on reservations have little idea how much native american culture has enriched us.
Or our medicines and national cuisine. If you know much at all, for example, about Cajun/Creole foods, you know that a whole danged LOT of it was based on, or improved by, Choctaw foods. Worldwide, for that matter, any dish that contains corn or corn products (masa, hominy, grits, polenta, etc.) owes a debt to American Indians.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 PM

20 posts, read 24,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
you know masonsdaughter, I find it interesting that those that criticize the most usually have not taken the time to learn about the culture that they're criticizing about and because of that they miss out on a great deal of knowledge. If we take the time to sit down and learn about other cultures, whether we agree with them or not, we can learn a lot more about that particular culture and then if we wish to criticize it, at least we are doing it from a place of knowledge but more than likely we will find that we really have very little to criticize. To criticize another person's culture or belief is to do so from a place of ignorance.osay
These are very profound wise words that i take to heart--- My husband has shared some of these very same thoughts and words w/me. Thank you for opening my eyes, mind and heart- Blessings-

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think that the Native American cultures possess more wisdom than most. Just my opinion.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginachadli View Post
Tonite i come into the sacred circle with a heavy heart- one of my online friends in one of my womens group died suddenly, it was a shock to all of us - we knew that she had been in pain in her back and hip- she told us the pain was 24/7 so she was going to dr. and get an mri and that was the last we heard. My group moderator found out that our friend had cancer and in 3 weeks she was gone. She lived in Seattle and had such a kind and generous heart and always helping others. I see her now enfolded in the arms of her Angels and in pain no more. But i still find myself grieveing, so i come into circle seeking comfort from my friends here. I do not understand my deep sadness, i just know i felt very connected to this lady, she had a very sweet loving spirit. Thank you for being here.
Ginachadli - I have been absent from the circle for a bit. I'm so sorry to hear this She sounds like she was a wonderful spirit who touched your life and others as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Goodpasture - congratulations on your new grandchild! I did do a double take when I saw the originally stated birth weight though.

From a proud new grandma as well..... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality