Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:30 AM

444 posts, read 1,210,218 times

Advertisements

Peace be with you all this season. My soul archaeology work has revealed to me some truths I did not ever know. I remain humbled and grateful. Goodpasture, I have to admit my fears to you and your Cherokee culture. In my heart and soul I know my ancestors did not cause harm to your people, but they were there, on your lands, living amoung yours for nearly 30 years before the Union Men created a Trail of Tears. I am sorry to your race, for the cruelty you suffered. I would never have harmed any of you, seriously I swear. I love you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM

10,604 posts, read 11,638,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
Peace be with you all this season. My soul archaeology work has revealed to me some truths I did not ever know. I remain humbled and grateful. Goodpasture, I have to admit my fears to you and your Cherokee culture. In my heart and soul I know my ancestors did not cause harm to your people, but they were there, on your lands, living amoung yours for nearly 30 years before the Union Men created a Trail of Tears. I am sorry to your race, for the cruelty you suffered. I would never have harmed any of you, seriously I swear. I love you.

OrionsAngel, it's good to see you again and thank you for the greetings. I cannot speak for others, however I can speak for myself and I would like to explain something to you and others and I mean no disrespect in what I am about to say. The atrocities that were perpetrated against my people were from another time, a time when there was a lot of misunderstanding between the different cultures of this land, a time of ignorance and arrogance and it was a time when all of our ancestors were a part of it in one form or another, however the ancestors that survived these hard times have moved beyond that and each generation that comes afterwards have hopefully learned from that past, I cannot blame you nor anyone else that is alive today for what our ancestors did in the past, we have no control over that, what's done is done, but hopefully we can learn from things that were done in the past and not repeat the same mistakes. Today I see some of those of those mistakes happening again, where one group of people criticize and ostracize another group of people because of their lifestyle or because somebody doesn't believe the way they believe or the color of somebody's skin is different than theirs and it makes me sad to see this, we are all the same, we all have the same hopes and dreams and we all wish to live a good life and be respected, it's not asking for much but it is the basics of every human desire. I am reminded of an old saying and I forget who it was that said it but it goes like this; If we do not learn from our past, we are doomed to repeat it. Let's not repeat the past and live to make things better for all in the future.osay

Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Today I see some of those of those mistakes happening again, where one group of people criticize and ostracize another group of people because of their lifestyle or because somebody doesn't believe the way they believe or the color of somebody's skin is different than theirs and it makes me sad to see this, we are all the same, we all have the same hopes and dreams and we all wish to live a good life and be respected, it's not asking for much but it is the basics of every human desire. I am reminded of an old saying and I forget who it was that said it but it goes like this; If we do not learn from our past, we are doomed to repeat it. Let's not repeat the past and live to make things better for all in the future.osay
Aho...

Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
what ptsum said so well............

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,949,093 times
As I think about it, how do you feel about the take over of the Hawaiian Islands? this is an issue today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover Cleveland
History is inevitable only in the apologia of winners. In viewing this controversial period of Hawaiian politics as the "sweep of time" or the "progress of democracy," the deeper moral and legal issues are obscured by rhetoric. Whatever the actions of the Hawaiian monarchs, whatever the validity of the charges of irresponsibility or ineptitude made against them by Americans with vested interests in the islands, it was the prerogative of native Hawaiians to determine their form of government. The "democracy" introduced by the 1893 provisional government far from represented the will of Hawaiians, Asians, and Europeans who comprised the majority of the population. The annexationist machinations of U.S. Minister John Stevens and the impact of the marines landed by the U.S.S. Boston on January 15, 1893, were not "inevitable" political and military actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Haunani-Kay Trask"
all Native Hawaiian sovereignty groups developed their arguments for nationhood from the prior existence of the Hawaiian nation, the culpability of the United States in the loss of Hawaiian domain and domination in 1893, the unilateral change in Native citizenship that came with forcible annexation in 1898, and the internationally recognized right of all peoples to self-determination
The Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement: Non-Hawaiians - 3. HISTORY OF HAWAIIAN SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXNP4uE4nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqZPLNoaos

Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,887 times
Yep, that's an issue all right. And in all seriousness, I do not mean to discount the seriousness of it -- not one bit.

Then there's the matter of the so-called "Manhattan Purchase". Thinking they were dealing with a bunch of ignorant savages, the settlers didn't bother to read the fine print. What they signed wasn't a purchase, but a long-term lease. The terms clearly state that, upon expiration of the lease, ownership of the land, and all improvements thereupon, reverts to the American Indians.

The lease expires at midnight on December 31, 2010.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 AM

444 posts, read 1,210,218 times
I know I can't take on the relm of the past, I can't change the things that happened, I can only learn from it. I believe we carry forward traits of our ancestors, not just physical. I think we take a bit of their spirit and blend it with our unique features and be who we are in our own free will. I do love the cool stuff that I am made of, but I have to work on how I react to being offended (especially in traffic!)lol. I do know that I wish for peace on earth and goodwill to ALL MEN (and WOMEN).
Update on my health in case you wonder...hehee... Well, FINALLY! my cataract in my left eye is developed enough to take out and replace the lens. HURRAH!! HALLEHLUYA! AWESOME MAN! Cant tell you how good it will feel to return to reading things as they really were written, to not run into things in my path, no more unknown caused bruises, no more burnt food on the stove, no more hitting parked cars in the City Market lot, no more parking 4 feet from the curb out of paranoia of hitting a parked car I cant judge the distance of, good grief! I could go on and on...I am just glad it will be over and I will see again on the 15th. The right eye took a year to develop after diagnosis and a year to get organised to get it out, so technically, I have been blind for 4 years...just call me deadeye, lol and stay out of the parking lots for the time being, you never know when I may show up. Wish me luck, I need to get back to my shed antler hunting this year and it will be nice to see all the detail in nature again. I made it through Pnuemonia this year, I can make it through anything!
Peace...

Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Yep, that's an issue all right. And in all seriousness, I do not mean to discount the seriousness of it -- not one bit.

Then there's the matter of the so-called "Manhattan Purchase". Thinking they were dealing with a bunch of ignorant savages, the settlers didn't bother to read the fine print. What they signed wasn't a purchase, but a long-term lease. The terms clearly state that, upon expiration of the lease, ownership of the land, and all improvements thereupon, reverts to the American Indians.

The lease expires at midnight on December 31, 2010.

well it will certainly be interesting to see how this matter is resolved. hopefully the resolve will be good for all envolved.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,745 times
Elizabeth Edwards is not hurting anymore.
Family Friend: Elizabeth Edwards Has Died - KCBA - Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz - News Weather

Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM

10,604 posts, read 11,638,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I just saw this on the news myself and my condolences go out to the family, she has suffered a lot with this cancer and now may the Creator watch over her spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality