U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 PM

1,808 posts, read 1,519,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, time to put a few more logs on the fire and sit back and contemplate all the things that have happened in the past few months and take a good look at our inner selves. There is way too much divisiveness among us and it's time to realize that all of the reasons for this divisiveness is man-made, our politics, our religion, and any other man-made thing that works against us as human beings. We're all the same and we're all looking for respect. So far I have seen that there are far too many things going on today that divide us than unite us and we need to get back to the basic beliefs that we are all one people. Regardless of what your religious beliefs or political beliefs may be, we're all the same and I think it's time to take a step back take a deep breath and seriously think about what kind of people we want to be.I wonder how many of you will step back into the sacred circle and sit with me in peaceful contemplation realizing that we were all one people. osaiy
One of my friends has started covering up negative graffiti in our neighborhoods with 'positive graffiti' posters; she said she's getting tired of the hate and division that's springing up all over the world, and she wants to counteract some of it by spreading positive messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,070,117 times
I sit here and contemplate some of the old sayings that have come my way and realize that a lot of them hold a certain amount of truth to them, for example. "The more I learn the more I learn how little that I know", seems to be a lot of truth in that.another is, "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why" a very good quote by Mark Twain. And here's one that I have quoted many times."Religion is for people who are afraid of Hell, Spirituality is for people who have already been there"As an individual who has already been there, there are no words that can explain it, one has to experience such a thing in person. Another I like. "When you find a peace within yourself, you know you have found your path". I am at a point in my life where I have found peace within myself and I have found my path. I am at a point in my life where this one makes a lot of sense. "To walk the Red Road is to know you will one day cross to the Spirit World and you will not be afraid". my thoughts on this is that once you have overcome your fear of death there is nothing that you cannot accomplish, it is that fear that holds you back and keeps you from making certain challenges in your life, if you fear death you fear life because life and death go hand-in-hand,there is this great understanding that we all should know and realize. And then there is this last one."You don't need religion to have morals, if you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy and common sense, not religion." Just some of my thoughts that I wish to share with others.

Last edited by ptsum; 05-25-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 01:34 PM

15,548 posts, read 6,999,363 times
Empathy and common sense.....exactly!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:57 PM

23,279 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Empathy and common sense.....exactly!
Sadly, both seem in short supply these days.

At least, where they're needed most.

But sitting in the circle, among friends, is like charging one's inner battery.

Once refreshed/charged, we can rejoin the fray and hope to inflict a little sanity where we can.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 AM

"Inflict a little sanity," a noble goal! Thank you.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 PM

23,279 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Quote:
"Inflict a little sanity," a noble goal! Thank you.
Every once in a while, I luck into an apt phrase.

I blame the universe.

Thank you for appreciating.

We need more people of disparate backgrounds and belief systems to echo what Mighty Queen, ptsum, nate, Woodrow and other sensible folks have suggested a time or twenty: Focus on commonalities rather than differences.

We are all human. We all know pain. We all seek the absence of same.

And yet we seek love. Which almost guarantees pain.

As one of my gurus was wont to say: "And so it goes."

Good for us.

That's what evolution is: Keeping on, keeping on.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:25 PM

4,066 posts, read 1,144,865 times
I'm a liberal Christian. I'd love to share this sacred space with all of you. Finding a light and a safe place isn't so easy anymore. I'll take love, peace and comfort wherever it may be.

I was going to say a lot about how Christianity as a whole seems to have lost the plot ad how we've failed our highest calling of unconditional, even sacrificial love for all others. And how Christians as a whole should be doing this, but it doesn't feel like very many are. This stuff weighs on me. But this isn't the time or place to go further with that. There'll be a thread about it soon. I'm just kind of sad right now, and just want to sit quietly and have things be still for awhile.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:09 AM

The point here, geekigurl, is that YOU have not lost the plot or failed your highest calling. Welcome to the circle.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 AM

15,007 posts, read 7,534,340 times
Quote:
The point here, geekigurl, is that YOU have not lost the plot or failed your highest calling. Welcome to the circle.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM

15,007 posts, read 7,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I sit here and contemplate some of the old sayings that have come my way and realize that a lot of them hold a certain amount of truth to them, for example. "The more I learn the more I learn how little that I know", seems to be a lot of truth in that.another is, "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why" a very good quote by Mark Twain. And here's one that I have quoted many times."Religion is for people who are afraid of Hell, Spirituality is for people who have already been there"As an individual who has already been there, there are no words that can explain it, one has to experience such a thing in person. Another I like. "When you find a peace within yourself, you know you have found your path". I am at a point in my life where I have found peace within myself and I have found my path. I am at a point in my life where this one makes a lot of sense. "To walk the Red Road is to know you will one day cross to the Spirit World and you will not be afraid". my thoughts on this is that once you have overcome your fear of death there is nothing that you cannot accomplish, it is that fear that holds you back and keeps you from making certain challenges in your life, if you fear death you fear life because life and death go hand-in-hand,there is this great understanding that we all should know and realize. And then there is this last one."You don't need religion to have morals, if you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy and common sense, not religion." Just some of my thoughts that I wish to share with others.
Thank you, ptsum.

"To walk the Red Road is to know you will one day cross to the Spirit World and you will not be afraid". my thoughts on this is that once you have overcome your fear of death there is nothing that you cannot accomplish, it is that fear that holds you back and keeps you from making certain challenges in your life, if you fear death you fear life because life and death go hand-in-hand,there is this great understanding that we all should know and realize."

This is one I struggle with. Not physical death (at least, I don't think so -- I guess you'd have to ask me if that still holds true when I'm actually at death's door). No, I'm thinking of that sensation of "dying inside" -- being judged as inconsequential, unimportant, worthless, etc., by another, and then finding yourself taking that judgment on board. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but that feeling is something I grew up with and carried throughout most of my adult life, and it is still something I have to stay consciously aware of to combat. And it absolutely makes/ has made me fearful of life in some regards. Yep, even after a lot of healing, it's still something I struggle with.

Last edited by Pleroo; 06-11-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality