Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times

Advertisements

Wonderful thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:50 PM

334 posts, read 307,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have no idea. I have a smidge of Wyandot. The usual reaction is, "Who?"

Welcome back pnc66.
In most cases it is wishful thinking. It was very difficult for a English subject to intermarry an Indian in the colonial days. The crown wasn't very tolerant. In most of my research, I find that it didn't usually happen. Many that settled in eastern Virginia claim that their ancestors married a Cherokee and the Cherokee nation wasn't even in the vicinity. In the area around Charlotte in the late 1700s, there were many innocent settler families scalped by Cherokees. These settlers had very small farms and were not encroaching on any Indian territory. The peace that existed in that vicinity was generally east of the Catawba and with the Catawba Indians. They coexisted well with the Scot-Irish settlers unlike the Cherokees.

Anyway, any claims of Indian ancestry is only as good as the credible sources that can be verified.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Lately because of the way things are or seem to be in this country I came across something that I thought be very interested to read.

There is not a right religion nor a right spiritual way. Being spiritual dose not require religion. Religion does not make spirituality.

Some pray, some meditate, some follow a ritual, some are spontaneous.

Whether you are spiritual or religious, you can pray and ask for strength and guidance.you can offer respect and honor, and you can be considerate of fellow living things.

Prayer and/or meditation is the human way to seek a connection with a Greater One or Spirit,to ask for help, guidance, strength, and wisdom.

Here on this special page, I offer some ideas, I don't preach them to be truth, only offer some thoughts. Because you are the only one who can find your truth.

If you feel you need someone to pray for you, you can ask someone or visit a special prayer circle of special people who have come together for that purpose.

Prayer to the Great Spirit

Oh Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the wind, whose breath gives life to all the world.

Hear me, I need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made in my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have talked my people.

Help me to remain calm and strong in the face of all that comes towards me.

Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

Help me seek pure thoughts without empathy overwhelming me.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy, Myself

Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes.

So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
what circle?

is that circle based on a statement of belief about god? or is the circle base on liberty and justice for all people?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:19 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what circle?

is that circle based on a statement of belief about god? or is the circle base on liberty and justice for all people?
First time here? Welcome. I'd have to say that it is less "based" than it is a statement of community, recognition of humanity and mostly shared values. So maybe the second part comes closer.
My two cents

Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
what circle?

I think it's pretty clearly laid out in the OP. Not sure what you're trying to do here, AA.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:21 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
what circle?

Welcome Arach Angel,I am going to assume that this is your first time posting in this particular thread. The sacred circle is not based on any particular religious or spiritual belief.it is a welcoming place for all to come and share your thoughts and prayers regardless of what your particular belief may be, all are treated equal with respect, there is no judgment and there is no criticism. It is merely sharing of information about one's particular belief, non-belief or spiritual belief. We are all equal and the same, we are all human beings and we all desire the respect of others.Osiyo

Old 06-15-2019, 11:26 AM

126,263 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Lately because of the way things are or seem to be in this country I came across something that I thought be very interested to read.

There is not a right religion nor a right spiritual way. Being spiritual dose not require religion. Religion does not make spirituality.

Some pray, some meditate, some follow a ritual, some are spontaneous.

Whether you are spiritual or religious, you can pray and ask for strength and guidance.you can offer respect and honor, and you can be considerate of fellow living things.

Prayer and/or meditation is the human way to seek a connection with a Greater One or Spirit,to ask for help, guidance, strength, and wisdom.

Here on this special page, I offer some ideas, I don't preach them to be truth, only offer some thoughts. Because you are the only one who can find your truth.

If you feel you need someone to pray for you, you can ask someone or visit a special prayer circle of special people who have come together for that purpose.

Prayer to the Great Spirit

Oh Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the wind, whose breath gives life to all the world.

Hear me, I need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made in my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have talked my people.

Help me to remain calm and strong in the face of all that comes towards me.

Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

Help me seek pure thoughts without empathy overwhelming me.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy, Myself

Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes.

So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame.
What a beautiful post ptsum.Thank you so much.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
What a beautiful post ptsum.Thank you so much.
And, it's good advice for pretty much anyone, and it applies to pretty much every belief system...just replace Great Spirit with the god you believe in, or a metaphor for one's own mind, or with a Baruch-Spinoza kind of god, or a mysterious Einsteinian kind of god, and it concisely sums up good behavior in general for pretty much everybody on the planet, in a nice sounding way that could be stated to children or anyone else.

I'm sure telling that to people usually has far better results than when I tell people how I see reality, which, while being highly accurate in my opinion, usually ends up sounding extremely depressing.

One of my favorite books is "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff, which describes existence pretty accurately, to me, but it describes existence in a manner that doesn't add additional hardship to that existence...and I think that's the trick, when it comes to making stories and advice and catchy slogans that are supposed to guide a society. Ideally they'll depict reality accurately, give good advice, and be nice-sounding...and be the kind of thing that can be taught to young kids.

I'd say the Tao of Pooh, and the prayer Ptsum posted, do all of those things...well...The Tao of Pooh is probably more for adults than young kids, but it does all the other stuff.

I'll add that prayer into my pile of important things to remember.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Welcome Arach Angel,I am going to assume that this is your first time posting in this particular thread. The sacred circle is not based on any particular religious or spiritual belief.it is a welcoming place for all to come and share your thoughts and prayers regardless of what your particular belief may be, all are treated equal with respect, there is no judgment and there is no criticism. It is merely sharing of information about one's particular belief, non-belief or spiritual belief. We are all equal and the same, we are all human beings and we all desire the respect of others.Osiyo
aint no flag or religion can hold all that wisdom ... least none that I know of anyway.

But there are many in our ranks than can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality