Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

I've often thought about the "Lords Prayer" and the concept of unintended consequences. Jesus spoke directly to the question of prayer when he talked of secreting yourself away from the rest of the world and talking to God directly. I can recall of no quote where he says to say the lords prayer. He does say that one should pray in that manner. But never does he say to pray those words. And I find the gist of what is contained in the lords prayer is identical to what I learned as a child when my elders taught me the ways of nature.....of how to hunt and fish and track.....and give thanks to the spirit of the animal whose life was taken that I might eat.

I know this is injecting some of the Christian faith into this circle, but an examination of beliefs is a worthwhile discussion, provided no condemnation or ridicule comes from one side or another. But it is my contention that the truths held by the faiths of many people are found in the teachings of Jesus. I feel those truths have been perverted for selfish reasons by people in power who wished to remain in power, so the real truth being taught is hidden or ignored for the sake of "religious fervor."

But when I look at the "lords prayer" I find it opens with a universal thought. It calls for the creators attention. How often have we all heard "Great Spirit, listen to my words" or something similar......and this is what Jesus was doing when he said "Our Father, who lives in heaven, honored is your name."

It is followed by a recognition of the power of the creator. In the LP, it says "your desires will be done here and elsewhere."

Then comes the desire to meet our needs today. there is no petition to amass wealth, just a "give me what I need for now" request.

then a quick request for forgiveness if you have offended anyone, asking for the same compassion we have shown others.

followed by a plea to not be led into a temptation for something we don't need or haven't earned,

and finally a request that the creator walk with us and abide in us every minute of every day.

I have witnessed many religious gatherings of many different faiths. From Muslim to Ba'hai from Primitive Baptist (with snakes) to Hindu to Buddhist to Shinto to Mormon to Pagan to Wiccan to Heathen............the roots of all can be found in the desire for oneness with the creator, that basic needs are met, and that the creator becomes one with the spirit of the faithful.

I've found that everything else is window dressing and unimportant......it is like icing on a cake......but I have found that as I grow older, I find icing less and less attractive, and will frequently scrape it off. I am that way with my faith. I seek being one with the creator........I try to scrape off everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Oh Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.

This is to to let the Creator know that we hear him all around us and recognize him as such and request that he hear our prayer.

I am small and weak, and need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

This is to the knowledge that we are his creation and that we seek his strength and wisdom.

Make my hands respect the things you have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.

This is to acknowledging that the Creator is the Creator of all and that all things are to be respected.

Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have taught my people, let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

This is asking the Creator for the wisdom to understand the things that we need to know to survive and to respect the earth.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy-myself.

A very profound statement, one that acknowledges that our greatest faults lie within ourselves and that in order to be at peace with everything around us, we must first learn to overcome our own faults.

Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my Spirit may come to you without shame.

Throughout our lifewalk here we should always try to do good by others so that when our life walk ends we can face our Creator with a good spirit and to know that we are always ready and never afraid to do so.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my Spirit may come to you without shame.

Throughout our lifewalk here we should always try to do good by others so that when our life walk ends we can face our Creator with a good spirit and to know that we are always ready and never afraid to do so.
Aho, brother. Good prayers being lifted up.

YouTube - Hopi Eagle Dance

Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.
This concept is rarely if ever found in the Christian teachings, and is probably the most significant omission there is.....I am thankful that I had elders who taught me that beauty is of the creator and is the creators most treasured gift of all. All can share the brilliance of a painted bunting or a sunsets technicolor. All can celebrate the world and it's beauty......

Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
^
to the times when joy would not command sacredness to come down to secrecy .... etc.

YouTube - Katie Melua In My Secret Life

Old 06-12-2009, 05:24 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,567 times
Elders and friends, Thank you for this page this morning. I needed this today, as I need it everyday.
Peace

Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Goodpasture, I think most of us on this thread agree that all people and all faiths are to be respected and learned from, as long as the discussions are kept civil. Personally, I feel that there are many paths to the creator, and each of us must find his or her own path. However, I think that to find that path, each of us must look within ourselves, not to the manmade trappings of organized religion. This is not to say that we should not learn from those wise ones who would teach us. Anyhow, Good morning everyone. It is a great day to be alive. Thank you for not letting this thread close. In this world of bitterness it is good to find a place of beauty and love.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
masonsdaughter, your words make good sense, I have always believed that each and every person should learn as much as they can about all the different religions and cultures that are in existence and then decide which one is right for you, do not be forced into one religion or culture or belief because your friends say that this is the right one for you or that your family is practicing this particular belief, you are the only one that knows what is right for you, you are the only one that knows what is inside you and nobody else can tell you how you feel inside about what you believe, educate yourself about all the different religions and cultures and then make your decision and when you do, at least you know you have done so in the best way possible for you even if you choose not to believe, there is no wrong way.osay

Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
This concept is rarely if ever found in the Christian teachings, and is probably the most significant omission there is.....I am thankful that I had elders who taught me that beauty is of the creator and is the creators most treasured gift of all. All can share the brilliance of a painted bunting or a sunsets technicolor. All can celebrate the world and it's beauty......
Hello everyone,

Beautiful post and so true. I do not believe in God or a creator but Nature and its ceaseless wonders from Fauna to Flora via its Geology and Landscapes is something I never tire of.

Nature is the only true constant yet it is forever changing and sitting at Dawn watching the sun-rise or listening to the gentle flow of a river or watching it roar with the violent life-force which carries us all , is such a calming and humbling feeling.

It makes you realise that as important as we might all want to believe ourselves to be, at the end of the day Nature truly is the Mother which nourishes us mentally and physically.

It refreshes the spirit and replenishes our deepest sources of strength and within it we can find our true place in life.

I enjoy cities because of the cultural aspects ( theatre, concerts etc..) but there is nothing quite like being at one with Nature. We regain the freedom of our true humanity when we embrace Nature.

Only a fool IMO prefers to shut themselves within towers of concrete and walls of steel and glass... To me it is incomprehensible even as a fairly urbanised person.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM

I cannot help but think that wise men throughout the history of man contemplated their place in the world and listened to the creator when he spoke. When they found that truth of "It works for me" they shared it with others. those others began putting "trappings" on the simplest of all concepts.......to become one with the creator, one must be quiet, one must talk, one must show compassion, one must be at peace, and one must show reverence to all that the creator has created.....rock, water, wind, sky, north south east and west, plants and animals and other people. It was always a simple task. But people put together "incantations" (like the lords prayer), added robes, built incredible buildings, created a litmus test for membership into the "select few." None of which abrogates the requirement to be quiet, show reverence, show compassion, and talk to the creator.......but so often, even the leaders of the faith are consumed by the "trappings" and fail to understand the basics. Even worse, they begin fighting each other for a particular trapping that they consider mandatory which in reality is nothing but icing on icing. So many get fussy about which way to face when they pray, about which day of the week the creator wanted set aside for rest and prayer, about when and where to kneel, about which water is best to submerge themselves or should they get sprinkled, and whether or not wine or grape juice is the appropriate sacrament.

I can only imagine the creator shaking his head with laughter, as we would when we watch monkeys in a zoo, at our antics when all that is needed is to quietly talk and share..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality