Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

The Comanche are a strong and respected people. My first real contact with your people was in 2003 when I accompanied a woman to her doctors appointment. While waiting for her to be seen I began talking with an old man, a very wise man. His name was Charles Chibitty and he spoke about his work in WWII and the mistreatment he and his people received from a grateful government. I took him to lunch that day and and visited with him for several hours. Our paths crossing that day has become one of the most memorable days of my life.

After talking with him, I read books about the Comanche. I read a lot about Nocona and the lessons he taught his son, Quanah. An interesting insight into the Comanche nation of old can be found in Nelson Lee's book "Three Years With the Comanche." When reading this book, one should be aware that Nelson Lee was a Texas Ranger when he was taken by the Comanche. So much of what he says he says as a an enemy.....but a good read none-the-less.

Quote:
"I'm the last one living out of 17 (code talkers)," Chibitty said.

He is an elder of his tribe with many stories to share about his time as an infantry soldier and code talker speaking in his native language.

"They could not break the Navajo (language) in the Pacific, and they could not break the Comanche in Europe," he said.

Code talkers used their tribes' languages to translate communications between military units in battle. Enemies who had intercepted and cracked military codes for years could not decipher the Comanche or Navajo languages. ([SIZE=2]SEE ARTICLE-CODE TALKERS-WIND SPEAKERS[/SIZE])

Born in 1921 in Lawton, Chibitty attended Haskell Indian School in Lawrence, Kan., before he joined the U.S. Army. He was in the army from 1941-45, he said.

Chibitty was named a Knight of the National Order of Merit by the French government in 1989, and in 1999, was honored at the Pentagon for his military contribution. The Washington, D.C., ceremony was bittersweet.

"It makes me feel good even though it took so long. My only regret is that they couldn't have done it early enough while my comrades were living so they could enjoy it," Chibitty said.

Charles Chibitty, the last surviving Comanche Code Talker Died July 20, 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Charles Chibitty, the last surviving Comanche Code Talker Died July 20, 2005.
Thank you for the good words about Charles Chibitty. He's one of my grandpas.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Your grandpa left great tracks behind when he passed.................

Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
....^

so be it!

YouTube - Max Richter - From the Rue Vilin (music video)

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times

YouTube - Eternal Love Meditation Video Message - We Are One

xoxo

Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Greetings to all in the circle!

Since last fall, my wife and I have been part of a group that meets once a month to sit in a circle around a fire and create a sacred space. The form of the ceremony comes from the traditions of the Huichol people of Mexico. The leader starts by invoking the spirits of the fire, the earth, sky, sun and moon, and then everyone takes turns putting offerings of tobacco, cacao, copal and wood into the fire while others play drums or flutes. Then we talk for hours, and share chocolate bars around the circle. Some people smoke cigars. It's a really refreshing, rewarding experience. I'm still really new to this kind of thing, so I'm not sure I can answer many questions about it, but more information can be found at Sacred Fire Home .

This thread feels like an online version of the fire circle. I'm very glad to have found it!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Good evening all !

I have had a rough last couple of weeks and it is always lovely to see you all wonderful and welcoming people around the hearth.

I was reminded in a very gentle manner yesterday how lucky I am and how privileged and how selfish I can be about my petty little problems and I thought of all my Wise and Poised friends on CD, Ptsum, Redbird, Goodpasture, OrionsAngel, MissBlue and the gentle hearts you all possess, something I am truly grateful for.

I can often get discouraged and despairing in my life but it is good to know there is always this sacred circle of tranquility and quietude to rest my weary feet and head at.

A haven of acceptance and gentleness is always much appreciated. I think often I let the world get to me so much that I stop seeing the woods for the trees if that makes any sense and it makes me a great fool.

I am tired of arguments and debating, at the moment all I crave is peace and quiet and a modicum of self acceptance which is often arduous for me I must admit.

Anyhoo you good people always restore my torn and battered faith in Mankind and for that I am truly thankful and grateful. Thank You.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Good evening to all! I feel compelled to share in this cyber-circle some things, which I will do in the form of poetry!

Whenever I journey into the wild,
I have the curiosity of a young child,
and gaze with wonder at all the sights
and miracles that are laid out before mine eyes!

I laugh a little bit to myself
about how I'm luckier than a king;
kings can pay for treasures, sure;
but I'm not paying a thing...

Because I have eyes that can see
I get all these rewards for free!
What king can purchase the sight
of a mountain's majestic might
or the babbling of a creek
or the vastness of a desert which makes a man meek
and weak
and to feel unique, to be so isolated in the splendor of nothingness!

And as I reach a point of isolation,
where I am in communion with nature,
I recognize the might of the Creator,
Lord God Almighty, the source of all Creation!

Makes an I-Pod seem irrelevant and shallow
that nature can thrill a soul to the marrow,
and man's fabrications
throughout the nations
cannot compare to the smallest sparrow.

All praise to the Lord God, who created us all!
May His Glory reign forever more!!!

I hope and pray that you will be blessed by God through the words of this poem!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:17 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Greetings to all in the circle!

Since last fall, my wife and I have been part of a group that meets once a month to sit in a circle around a fire and create a sacred space. The form of the ceremony comes from the traditions of the Huichol people of Mexico. The leader starts by invoking the spirits of the fire, the earth, sky, sun and moon, and then everyone takes turns putting offerings of tobacco, cacao, copal and wood into the fire while others play drums or flutes. Then we talk for hours, and share chocolate bars around the circle. Some people smoke cigars. It's a really refreshing, rewarding experience. I'm still really new to this kind of thing, so I'm not sure I can answer many questions about it, but more information can be found at Sacred Fire Home .

This thread feels like an online version of the fire circle. I'm very glad to have found it!
Rob Allen, it is good to have you come and sit among us and I see you already have some experience of sitting around the sacred fire, you come with a good heart and for that we welcome you. osay

Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Good evening all !

I have had a rough last couple of weeks and it is always lovely to see you all wonderful and welcoming people around the hearth.

I was reminded in a very gentle manner yesterday how lucky I am and how privileged and how selfish I can be about my petty little problems and I thought of all my Wise and Poised friends on CD, Ptsum, Redbird, Goodpasture, OrionsAngel, MissBlue and the gentle hearts you all possess, something I am truly grateful for.

I can often get discouraged and despairing in my life but it is good to know there is always this sacred circle of tranquility and quietude to rest my weary feet and head at.

A haven of acceptance and gentleness is always much appreciated. I think often I let the world get to me so much that I stop seeing the woods for the trees if that makes any sense and it makes me a great fool.

I am tired of arguments and debating, at the moment all I crave is peace and quiet and a modicum of self acceptance which is often arduous for me I must admit.

Anyhoo you good people always restore my torn and battered faith in Mankind and for that I am truly thankful and grateful. Thank You.
Always good to have you sit among us and it's always good to have that quiet time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality