Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times

Advertisements

OrionsAngel, that's a beautiful video and song and the words do have special meaning, good choice. I have in mind the song by young Irish group called Westlife, it is a song that we all know by Garth Brooks but I liked this rendition of it, it's called The Dance and is this not what life is about? I am often reminded of the words of an old elder who once told me that there are those who believe that if they do nothing at all they make no mistakes, and yet the biggest mistake they make is doing nothing at all, they do not live life to its fullest.

YouTube - Westlife The Dance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Goodpasture I am sorry for my mistake. I did not read as closely as I should have, but my sentiments remain the same.
Ptsum and Firstborn, a moment of prayer for your loss.
Firstborn, shortly before my father passed, he sat up and told me that his mother, father, and older brother, who had already passed, had just been there and asked if they were in the other room asleep. I hope they were there to assist him in his journey to the other world.
Orion, it is good to see you back.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Thank you, Ptsum, for sharing that clip, "The Dance". I've heard Garth Brook's version many times, which is nice enough, but I think I liked this version better, though it's the first time I've heard of the group, Westlife. The song made me cry, (it's the first time I've heard it, since my husband passed away last year), as I reflected on my life with my husband, but the words are so true, "I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance", and I wouldn't have missed my 28-year dance with him for anything in the world. And, I suspect all of us here in our circle, who have suffered the painful loss of loved ones, feel the same. May our Creator grant us peace and comfort.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
I don't want to seem maudlin, but thank you all for being here.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:12 PM

444 posts, read 1,211,838 times
Ptsum, it is a great dance isnt it? That was beautiful. I also like Garth's "The River".
Nice to see you too masonsdaughter! thanks!
CelticLady1, I love that you are in this circle, my arm is around you!
Goodpasture, it is always a pleasure to be here, thank you for sharing.
hope to hear from that mooseketeer soon!!
Goodnight everyone

Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
.........it's called The Dance and is this not what life is about?.........
As an insight to this song, from the writer, Tony Arata...........
Quote:
I met the gentleman who cut it at an open-mic songwriter's show at Douglas Corner. Garth and Sandy had moved from Oklahoma about the same time Jaymi and I came up from Georgia. We were both doing whatever we could to stay in Nashville, trying to get our songs heard by anybody. The only folks listening, however, were other songwriters as no one else was usually at our shows. And so it was at one of those nights at The Bluebird, Garth heard this one and swore if he ever got a record deal, he was going to do it. Well, he did, and he did. I will always be grateful that it was a songwriter who made this one his own.

One little-known fact about this song is that it originally had another set of lyrics which, by grace, never saw the light of day. Thankfully, these lyrics were lost in one of our moves and haven't resurfaced! The melody is the same as it was but the words that finally stuck were inspired by a scene from the movie Peggy Sue Got Married. Kathleen Turner discovers she can't alter one aspect of her past without affecting the rest. No one gets to pick their memories, thankfully.
Tony Arata

I find it interesting that Garth recorded this when he and Sandy were having some problems. There were times when Sandy was, shall we say, less than appropriate in her behavior or the company she kept. But Garth has two wonderful girls, bright, well grounded young ladies. Even before he and Trish got married they attended a very nice church in Owasso (a little north and east of where I live). Although he often misses church due to his work schedule, he is an extremely compassionate man and really tries to live his life according to his faith.....not many Christians do that. I think though, that when he recorded the song from his old friend Tony, he was recognizing that although Sandy had brought a lot of heartache into his life, had he not experienced that part of his life that generated the heartache, those two delightful young women would never have been born......and they made it all worth while.

And as I sit here getting ready to go to bed, and I look back at the pain to people I have caused, the joy I have brought to others, and I remember so clearly how I have caused others unnecessary pain, I have to quote Tony......"No one gets to pick their memories, thankfully."

Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 AM

A laugh for today...hehe

YouTube - The Red Green Show - Snowball Madness

Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 AM

I am in need of a hug today... dont particularly know why. I am very sensitive, and something just doesn't feel right. I feel like a lost sheep wandering about the planet with no particular place to go. Do I BELONG anywhere? Who am I? Dear God, wont you hold my hand today?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:25 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
I am in need of a hug today... dont particularly know why. I am very sensitive, and something just doesn't feel right. I feel like a lost sheep wandering about the planet with no particular place to go. Do I BELONG anywhere? Who am I? Dear God, wont you hold my hand today?
Well just come on in here and sit down by the fire and clear your mind and think about that for a while, there are going to be times when the hustle and bustle of everything around us will have a tendency to overwhelm us, at those times it's just best to step back and find a quiet place to sit, so grab a hot drink and come sit with us and if nothing else, just listen..

Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,671 times
This video will put you within that sacred circle you seek.

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight | Video on TED.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality