Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 12:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
To all my brothers and sisters of the various different beliefs and non beliefs, may we come together as one people to share the bountiful harvest and thanksgiving.osay
Amen to that. No matter who or where we are, each of us has something for which to be thankful.

I have many things for which I am thankful, not the least of which is coming to know most of you, and the opportunity to get to know the rest of you.

"Happy Thanksgiving" to all,

-- Nighteyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
We come in peace and live together in love and acceptance.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Just thought I'd pop in here with some sad news.

For those that aren't yet aware, Dragonriders of Pern author Anne McCaffery passed beyond the Veil on Monday after a massive stroke.

Rest well, Anne, and know that you will be missed.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:26 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,913 times
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone of every Nation, may we all continue on a good path seeking friendship,taking care of the earth, and helping each other through our journey togather. I am Thankful for the good place I have found to be, for the knowledge I have learned that I never knew and I am grateful for the ankle biter that shreds my hands and piddles on the floor when she sees me comming to greet her...Life is Good.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
30 or so people seated around a ping pong table covered with a sheet for a tablecloth. Your choice of smoked turkey, roast turkey, or ham. Your choice of oyster, sage, cornbread, sausage, or chestnut dressing. Your choice of mashed potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, ham/scalloped potatoes. Canned cranberry sauce, home made cranberry sauce, cranberry chutney, cranberry orange pecan salad, half a dozen kinds of pickles, green olives, black olives, carrot sticks, celery sticks, celery sticks stuffed with peanut butter, carrot sticks stuffed with cream cheese and green chili. Did I mention carrots? Glazed carrots with honey, glazed carrots with orange, glazed carrots with brown sugar and ham. Sweet potatoes, sweet potato casserole, glazed sweet potatoes. Green bean casserole, posole, Brown gravy, turkey gravy, giblet gravy, red eye gravy. Mince meat pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, butter cress pie, buttermilk pie, sweet potato pie.

Dad at one end griping about someone not passing something, cousins tossing rolls to each other across the table, uncle desparately trying to get people to shut up so he could hear the game on tv, his wife asking if it has to be so loud. Brothers GF trying to be helpful and staying gorgeous (I forget her name, but she was Miss El Paso at the time) and in the way all at the same time. Chaos reigned for about two hours while sounds of laughter, gripes, updates flooded the room. I was home on leave and just back from Viet Nam getting ready to go to the Med. I think it was the last time we all sat down together over a holiday dinner. Uncles, aunts, mom and dad are gone now, brother married a non-beauty queen, two brothers haven't spoken to each other except through lawyers in more than a decade.......they used to be best friends. But that year the holiday ended with me, dad, two of my brothers, and some friends packed into the Pecos wilderness horseback to hunt elk. It led to a Christmas dinner of elk, antelope, and venison, or so I hear......I was in Italy by then.......over 40 years ago and it is just as clear now in my memory as it was then...........

Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 AM

I just realized that I am cranky today. In trying to figure this out, I discovered I am tired of all the gripes. The "dinner is too much stress" crowd or the "I don't see what the big deal about Thanksgiving is" crowd, and even worse, the "What time are you going shopping" crowd have finally pi**ed me off. If you don't want to cook, there are all kinds of people out there that own restaurants that are offering free dinners. If you want to sit at home without major expectations, eat a corndog from the local C store.

Supposedly in 1621 a bunch of Wampanoags, invited a bunch of englishmen over for dinner to celebrate the end of a harvest season. Can you imagine the feast? beans squash and corn; venison, turkey, partridge; oysters, clams, scallops, cod, lobster........think of the bounty available today from Massachusetts and pretend none of it was near extinction, none of it was over harvested. What an incredible day that was........

Today we have political jerks standing in front of us and lying with every breath while maintaining a straight face. We have coaches and others that should be respected molesting kids. We have millions of children going hungry. Untold numbers of kids facing a bleak and dead end life because it is more important to not make people pay for textbooks than it is for kids to read textbooks. We live in a world gone mad.........what is right is wrong, what is immoral is acceptable. Peaceful protesters get maced and pepper sprayed while those who are charged with keeping the peace break laws....and bones......at the request of the people the protestors voted for........

I am going out this afternoon to spend some time in the woods. I have been listening to gun shots all day, so I will wear an orange vest and carry a gun........when I was a kid I was shot at by a "hunter" while wearing an orange vest, and the woods are denser here.

I want to give thanks to all my friends on this forum. Thank you for a place where I can share without egos, without adversaries, where people of good heart share and care.

Wado
Greg..........

Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I just realized that I am cranky today. In trying to figure this out, I discovered I am tired of all the gripes. The "dinner is too much stress" crowd or the "I don't see what the big deal about Thanksgiving is" crowd, and even worse, the "What time are you going shopping" crowd have finally pi**ed me off. If you don't want to cook, there are all kinds of people out there that own restaurants that are offering free dinners. If you want to sit at home without major expectations, eat a corndog from the local C store.

Supposedly in 1621 a bunch of Wampanoags, invited a bunch of englishmen over for dinner to celebrate the end of a harvest season. Can you imagine the feast? beans squash and corn; venison, turkey, partridge; oysters, clams, scallops, cod, lobster........think of the bounty available today from Massachusetts and pretend none of it was near extinction, none of it was over harvested. What an incredible day that was........

Today we have political jerks standing in front of us and lying with every breath while maintaining a straight face. We have coaches and others that should be respected molesting kids. We have millions of children going hungry. Untold numbers of kids facing a bleak and dead end life because it is more important to not make people pay for textbooks than it is for kids to read textbooks. We live in a world gone mad.........what is right is wrong, what is immoral is acceptable. Peaceful protesters get maced and pepper sprayed while those who are charged with keeping the peace break laws....and bones......at the request of the people the protestors voted for........

I am going out this afternoon to spend some time in the woods. I have been listening to gun shots all day, so I will wear an orange vest and carry a gun........when I was a kid I was shot at by a "hunter" while wearing an orange vest, and the woods are denser here.

I want to give thanks to all my friends on this forum. Thank you for a place where I can share without egos, without adversaries, where people of good heart share and care.

Wado
Greg..........

Travel safely my Brother and walk in peaceful harmony with the Creator.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
I do not celebrate holidays as each day should be a holy day and a day worth celebrating. May today serve as a time to remember to thank our creator and that we should celebrate this thanks every day. May today be a time of joy in sharing what we can share with family, friends and even unknown neighbors and may we carry this as part of our daily life.

May we give thanks for being given today as a reminder, a reminder to never stop thanking and sharing. May we help make everyday, what we desire today to be.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Came across this, a little sappy and romanticized, but a little cute..........

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Came across this, a little sappy and romanticized, but a little cute..........
I much prefer these then the others....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality