Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

that is good advice, ne. If the country there is hostile to you, you should probably stay away. It has been known to kill people in freak accidents. About where you got that warning, about 20 years ago, a rock fell off the mountain (near Rinconada) and hit a Greyhound bus knocking it into the Rio Grande and killing the driver and seven or eight passengers.
Quote:
This situation reminds me of a crash in NM several years ago where a large rock tumbled off a cliff in Taos Canyon between Taos and Espanola. When I say large, I mean LARGE. It hit the bus and cut it in half. This was an old MC-9 which are tanks. I actually became an expert witness for Greyhound in this lawsuit. The rock still sits in the river and is the approximate size of an average RV. People in the are call it "Big Rock."

Several people were killed in the crash. After the lawsuits started, a passenger (also a litigant) came forward and stated their was trouble with the headlights on the bus because the driver kept flipping switches on the dash. We all know the only switch on the dash of an MC-9 is the master control switch. On cross examination it came out that the driver would flash the headlights whenever a truck passed the bus. I guess we all know what that is.

The court decided that a rock the size of a motorhome, tumbling off a cliff wall, was beyond driver control. It cost Greyhound a ton of money to defend themselves however.
Yahoo! Groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
that is good advice, ne. If the country there is hostile to you, you should probably stay away. It has been known to kill people in freak accidents.
I suspect it may have been the time of year. Many pueblo communities were closed to the public for ceremonial reasons.

I listen very carefully to my intuition, sixth sense, or whatever one calls it. It has saved my backside, both figuratively and literally, many times. My sister is the same way.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Kitaro- Silk Road - YouTube

Kitaro - Caravansaray - YouTube

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
...sip a glass of Jameson ...
If you like Jameson's, you just GOTTA try Powers. My publican, Mehaul O'Leary (from Dublin), turned me on to it, and 'tis grand indeed!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You have noticed that everything an Indian does in a circle, and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles, and everything tries to be round.

In the old days all our power came to us from the sacred hoop of the nation and so long as the hoop was unbroken the people flourished. The flowering tree was the living center of the hoop, and the circle of the four quarters nourished it. The east gave peace and light, the south gave warmth, the west gave rain and the north with its cold and mighty wind gave strength and endurance. This knowledge came to us from the outer world with our religion.
Everything the power of the world does is done in a circle. The sky is round and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls. Birds make their nests in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours. The sun comes forth and goes down again in a circle. The moon does the same and both are round. Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing and always come back again to where they were.

The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is in everything where power moves. Our teepees were round like the nests of birds, and these were always set in a circle, the nation's hoop, a nest of many nests, where the Great Spirit meant for us to hatch our children".
~Black Elk
Oglala Sioux 1863-1950

Brule 'N Airo "We The People" - YouTube

Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
If you like Jameson's, you just GOTTA try Powers. My publican, Mehaul O'Leary (from Dublin), turned me on to it, and 'tis grand indeed!
Thank you for the advice......will give it a try.

I was in a restaurant a few days ago and they had a Black Cherry Bourbon that I tried.............reminded me of cough syrup with an overtone of bourbon. So far, it seems, the Scotches and Irishes of the world have not been messed with, but I am so tired of turning perfectly good sipping whiskey into something fit only for childrens fruity drinks. My parents generation drank martini's if they wanted a cocktail.........have you seen the "flavors" to be had for martini's these days? Sugared syrups pretending to be fruit juice with vodka.......that is dessert, not a drink.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Let me recommend a good sipping whiskey, a single malt or a blend named after one of my Irish ancestors......

Michael Collins Irish Whiskey

And here are the reviews from Bar & Drinker Magazine..

Michael Collins-“Best Irish Whiskey” | Bar and Drinker Magazine

Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Let me recommend a good sipping whiskey, a single malt or a blend named after one of my Irish ancestors......

Michael Collins Irish Whiskey

And here are the reviews from Bar & Drinker Magazine..

Michael Collins-“Best Irish Whiskey” | Bar and Drinker Magazine
Try Laphroaig. Single malt, aged and smooth as velvet.

I'm not a drinker but I tried a sip at my daughter's wedding reception, pretty easy going down!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Pamela, I am very fond of Laphroaig. Unfortunately it is a little pricy for my part of the world and I rarely find in our liquor stores. I do get their cask strength on occasion and their 10 year old single malt is reasonably priced........but their 18 yo is what dreams are made of.

The only Collins I've had was the blended and while it was good it wasn't memorable. I will have to try the 10 year old. I'm surprised that they don't have a 15 or 18 year old though. Maybe it will come with "age."

After looking at the Powers web site, I'm impressed.......even their "how to serve it" section didn't turn it into a fru-fru drink.

Quote:
Conclusion
In terms of quality, Jameson wins by virtue of its smooth, crisp dryness against Powers’ rough edges. Powers, however, has more interesting and lip-smacking flavors. Both are excellent neat or with a splash of water, and I suppose in a pinch you could mix them for cocktails. They certainly both give the Glenlivet 12 the ubiquitous ‘inexpensive’ single-malt, a run for its money.
http://scotchnoob.com/2011/02/03/com...son-vs-powers/

Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Pamela, I am very fond of Laphroaig.
"Leap-Frog" (that's what they call it around here, anyway) tastes far too sea-weedy for my palette, though the rest of the civilized world calls that taste "peaty." All the Islay single malts have that same flavor, as do many of the better blended Scotches.

Quote:
The only Collins I've had was the blended and while it was good it wasn't memorable.
Over about 4 months I worked my way thru a bottle of their single-malt, and had the same experience. Good, not great. Named after a great hero of the Irish Republic though.

Quote:
After looking at the Powers web site, I'm impressed.......even their "how to serve it" section didn't turn it into a fru-fru drink.
It doesn't need more than a wee splash of water to make it magnificent! Another Irish whisky I like is Tullamore Dew. 'Tis also a blended, but smoooooooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality