Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Miss Blue's mind and soul are very much at peace this evening

Thank You

It is good and comforting when a friend shares a feeling of peace and calmness.

There is much joy to be in the company of one who has inner peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
DewDropInn, I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner and welcoming you to sit among us, should you so desire to do so.
Thank you. It is appreciated.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Another great one walks on.........

Quote:
Richie Havens, one of the most iconic singer-songwriters of the 1960s and 1970s, died on Monday. He was 72.
Havens was born in Brooklyn in 1941. He claimed Blackfeet ancestry from his father, whom he said lived on the Shinnecock Nation in New York for a time.

"They were Blackfoot Indian," Havens told National Public Radio of his father's family. "And him and his brother came with Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, got off in New York City, and left the show there and ended up on Shinnecock Reservation in Long Island. And he got married there, and moved to Brooklyn, and that’s how my father was born in Brooklyn. And how I ended up being born in Brooklyn as well."

Havens helped launch the Native American Music Awards in April 1998. He performed at NAMA's first award show in May of that year, when he paid tribute to the late Jimi Hendrix, who claimed Cherokee ancestry.
"The Indian Prayer" by Richie Havens - YouTube

richie havens - the hawk - YouTube

Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Hello circle. I hope you all are doing well. I have been visited in here before. I explode to my anger I tried all kind of stuff to control my anger but that one person always gets me boil. That is a soul thief, not telling about a heart thiefness .. He stole things which are important to me (nothing materialistic) and I have negative thoughts which I cannot turn into positive. He stepped to my personal area, to my soul and stole something and now uses that.

I need peace, please circle, help me to find a peace

Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Hello circle. I hope you all are doing well. I have been visited in here before. I explode to my anger I tried all kind of stuff to control my anger but that one person always gets me boil. That is a soul thief, not telling about a heart thiefness .. He stole things which are important to me (nothing materialistic) and I have negative thoughts which I cannot turn into positive. He stepped to my personal area, to my soul and stole something and now uses that.

I need peace, please circle, help me to find a peace

soulwound, I can only tell you what I tell my children and my grandchildren and all in my family, when something like this happens, take that negative and turn it into a positive, make it something that you can learn from, as I say, Lesson Learned. Things like this are going to happen throughout your lifes journey and you need to learn to accept those negatives along with all the positives along your journey through this life, learn from them so as not to let those things happen again. It is indeed a hard lesson to learn sometime but one that is necessary, we all have those times when we have to deal with those negatives, it's how we handle it that makes us stronger as we travel through this life. Welcome to the sacred circle and you're welcome to sit with us. osay

Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
soulwound, I can only tell you what I tell my children and my grandchildren and all in my family, when something like this happens, take that negative and turn it into a positive, make it something that you can learn from, as I say, Lesson Learned. Things like this are going to happen throughout your lifes journey and you need to learn to accept those negatives along with all the positives along your journey through this life, learn from them so as not to let those things happen again. It is indeed a hard lesson to learn sometime but one that is necessary, we all have those times when we have to deal with those negatives, it's how we handle it that makes us stronger as we travel through this life. Welcome to the sacred circle and you're welcome to sit with us. osay
Thank you ptsum for hearing me. It is itself very important to me right now. I try to turn this into positive every time and a problem is, when the next time comes, my anger is time to time bigger and bigger than last time. I would want to find a stable peace condition and not to react on his doings anymore. This is rare because I am not normally an angry person at all. And I don't want to be either.

Thanks for the welcome also, I like the circle

Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Month of May, Planting Moon Anisguti:

Family's traditionally prepare the fields and sow them with the stored seeds from last season. Corn, beans, squashes, tomatoes, potatoes, yams and sunflowers are some food planted at this time. The danced traditionally done at this time is the "Corn Dance".

hmmmmm.. Maybe that's where the May Pole Dance comes from.....

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
ptsum - Happy May!

I can recommend a book you would probably enjoy. "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler. I have Volume II and her meditations for May begin with Planting Month - Ana sku'tee. It's available on Amazon

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
"When alone with our thoughts, we listened and heard the Silence.
We listened and saw the Silence.
We listened and tasted the Silence.
We closed our eyes and felt the Silence deep within.
The woodlands became our chapel; our bodies, our altar.
In the Silence, we began to communicate with the Great Mystery, and we received Peace."

Twylah Nitsch, Seneca (1976)

It seems to me that too few people these days appreciate silence. In fact, based on the number of people I see these days with ear buds or headphones on or televisions and radios blaring, it seems many are uncomfortable with, and perhaps even fear it.

It's a shame. Because constant noise takes its toll on a person's spirit and deafens one to the quiet whispers of nature and even one's own inner voice.

Some sounds, like the mournful cry of the loon or hoots from an owl, serve to emphasize the silence. Others, like the quiet crackling of an evening fire serve as an agreeable companion to it.

I'll be quiet now....

Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Women in the Cherokee society were equal to men. They could earn the title of War Women and sit in councils as equals. This privilege led an Irishman named Adair who traded with the Cherokee from 1736-1743 to accuse the Cherokee of having a "petticoat government". Clan kinship followed the mother's side of the family. The children grew up in the mother's house, and it was the duty of an uncle on the mother's side to teach the boys how to hunt, fish, and perform certain tribal duties. The women owned the houses and their furnishings. Marriages were carefully negotiated, but if a woman decided to divorce her spouse, she simply placed his belongings outside the house. Cherokee women also worked hard. They cared for the children, cooked, tended the house, tanned skins, wove baskets, and cultivated the fields. Men helped with some household chores like sewing, but they spent most of their time hunting. The role of Beloved Woman, Ghigau (Ghee gah oo), was the highest a Cherokee woman could aspire to. A Ghigau had a voice and vote in General Council, leadership of the Woman's Council, the honor of preparing and serving the ceremonial Black Drink, the duty of ambassador of peace-negotiator, and the right to save the life of a prisoner already condemned to execution. The title Ghigau also translates to "War Woman," a War Woman, Cuhtahlatah, won honor during the American Revolutionary period by leading Cherokee warriors to victory after her husband fell. She later joined in a vigorous war dance carrying her tomahawk and gun. Woman led in the execution of prisoners. It was their right and responsibility as mothers. They celebrated the capture of prisoners with song and dance and joined in torture at the stake. Women had the right to claim prisoners as slaves, adopt them as kin, or condemn them to death "with the wave of a swan's wing." Marriages were often short term, and there was no punishment for divorce or adultery. Cherokee women were free to marry traders, surveyors, and soldiers, as well as their own tribesmen. Cherokee girls learned by example how to be warriors and healers. They learned to weave baskets, tell stories, trade, and dance. They became mothers and wives, and learned their heritage. The Cherokee learned to adapt, and the women were the core of the Cherokee.

It is essential, in my mind, that just as the Beloved Woman was head of the Cherokee Nation, and women were head of the household, today that that strength and presence is felt in our own households. The women in my life are the core of my life.

It is only in this society and culture that we pick a day to celebrate the women of our nation. Every woman should be honored every day. Every woman is a mother, a potential mother, a grandmother, an aunt…..even those women who cannot carry a child to term, either by choice or through accident or disease, provide our society a nurturing force and a wisdom that we, as a nation, desperately need. In line with this nations decision I want to thank all women for their presence and wish all women everywhere the very best mothers day ever.

Happy Mothers Day to every woman every where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality