Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If other people express derogatory thoughts about George Custer and his culture, is it fair for me to express derogatory thoughts about their culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And why would you want to do that? Does it make you any better than the next person? You're standing up for an American soldier who during the Civil War was very courageous and nobody will deny that, he made a mistake with the battle of the little bighorn and it cost him and all of his soldiers under his command their lives and because of that event he has gone down in history as both a courageous soldier and a very stupid one for not listening to those within his command. It is sometimes hard for us too realize that our great heroes are also human and capable of making mistakes that will sometimes cost us and others their lives. You lost an ancestor due to something that Native Americans did, I lost many ancestors due to something that the Europeans did, I hold no animosity towards your ancestors as well as you should hold no animosity towards my ancestors. Two wrongs do not make a right and right now the bigger thing to do would be not to create any more animosity and hatred amongst our people. Do you not agree hiker?
Before asking me any questions, it would be polite for you to first answer my question.

It would also be polite to ask me only one (1) question at a time. Not three (3).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
No, but I am a descendant of a Wampanoag Indian and I have heard that my great-great-grandmother Nancy Wilson (1797 - 1872) from Kentucky was part Cherokee.

I like Custer because I have empathy for people who are always getting picked on.

Well, you should be commended, but that still doesn't negate the fact that he made a mistake and it cost him and those in his command their lives because he refused to listen to those below him. The biggest mistake that he made was that he divided his troops and did not believe that there could be that many Native Americans camped out at The Little Bighorn, so he underestimated his enemy and it cost him.

On a separate note, did your Nancy Wilson have a sister or a descendent by the name of Amanda Wilson?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Well, you should be commended, but that still doesn't negate the fact that he made a mistake and it cost him and those in his command their lives because he refused to listen to those below him. The biggest mistake that he made was that he divided his troops and did not believe that there could be that many Native Americans camped out at The Little Bighorn, so he underestimated his enemy and it cost him.
Yes, George Custer made serious mistakes at Little Bighorn that cost the lives of him and his men. Military history is full of such examples.

However, it is not right to post a song that makes fun of him any more than it would be right to post a song making fun of the poor air defences of Hiroshima on 8/6/45.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, George Custer made serious mistakes at Little Bighorn that cost the lives of him and his men. Military history is full of such examples.

However, it is not right to post a song that makes fun of him any more than it would be right to post a song making fun of the poor air defences of Hiroshima on 8/6/45.

hiker, I'm not going to agree or disagree with you about the song, it is a song of pride by a people that had suffered so many injustices and prejudices against them just because they were who they were. They had suffered so many defeats and lost so many of their people do to these injustices that the one time that they could be proud of a song was made about it. The young men from that group called Redbone were descendants from those warriors and have every right to be proud of their ancestors. Now you may see it as a derogatory incident but everybody sees it differently. I see it as a learning lesson for all of us, even as we go through this conversation, it is a learning lesson.

Last edited by ptsum; 10-01-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Moderator cut: reminder

Good evening everyone.
The Native Americans in this thread have so much wisdom and history to bring to us as we were invited to sit among them in tolerance and acceptance by leaving our prejudices, hatreds and animosities outside.

I was a little surprised when I came to the circle this afternoon for some "peace, harmony and understanding"

Quote:
Who will sit with me in the sacred circle of peace, harmony and understanding.
Among my culture we have a tradition that has existed for centuries.

Whenever we come together to discuss things of great importance it is always done within the sacred circle. Anyone is welcome to come and sit within the sacred circle and participate in the discussions, however all animosity, hatred and prejudice are left outside of the sacred circle, these things are not allowed within its confines and each individual who steps within the sacred circle is expected to help govern it and be responsible to see to it that peace, harmony, and understanding prevail within the sacred circle.

So now my brothers and sisters, I invite you to step within the sacred circle and tell us about your beliefs or non-beliefs without criticism or animosity to one another.

Remember, all are welcomed here who come with a good heart.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
On a separate note, did your Nancy Wilson have a sister or a descendent by the name of Amanda Wilson?
From what I have learned, her mother was Polly Huntz (1777-1855) and one of her ancestors may have been a German immigrant named Smoot. The people in Kentucky didn't keep great records in those days.

I don't know anything about her sisters or brothers, and I assume her children would have the last name of her husband.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-01-2013 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: discussing mod actions in open forum, not allowed

Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I was a little surprised when I came to the circle this afternoon for some "peace, harmony and understanding"

I've had such a craving for large, salty corn chips all afternoon. Funny how a childhood memory can be jogged. But yes, a big bag, please. With some chili poured into it.

In the spirit of peace, harmony and understanding I'll happily pass the bag of cholesterol-raising deliciousness to those who knows what the heck I'm rambling about and cares to join me in Mister Peabody's Wayback Machine.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-01-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
No, but I am a descendant of a Wampanoag Indian and I have heard that my great-great-grandmother Nancy Wilson (1797 - 1872) from Kentucky was part Cherokee.

I like Custer because I have empathy for people who are always getting picked on.

If a poster feels empathy for Custer they are welcome to start a thread for him. Personally, I have never thought of Custer as someone who was always "picked on". Nevertheless, this thread is not the place for lengthy discussions on Custer.

Whenever we gathered for a Talking Circle it was akin to a healing ceremony. We NDNs often joke and use humor to bring out the irony of our world . If anyone is offended, it may be because deep inside you know where we are coming from and you know the injustices our people have endured. Custer is just a drop in the bucket.

Most of us know the history books are written by the white man from their perspective. We NDN people have our own perspective of american history. And we have stories that you will never find in any history book. Ever.

I am sure there are a lot of history buffs on the history forum who would love to discuss Custer at length.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM

It is good to remember and honor our ancestors, there are brave warriors on both sides of any conflict and to honor and remember that bravery is a commendable thing for all people, but there comes a time when we must put all the hatred and animosity behind us and move on to the future for the sake of our children. Children learn what they are taught from their Elders and parents and is up to us to decide what we want to teach them, do we want to teach them hatred, bigotry, and animosity? Or do we want to teach them love and compassion, equality and respect and treat all the same, the choice is ours, what will you teach?

I am Gvnega Tawodi, son of Equa Yonv, grandson of Unegaeusti Waya of the Tsalagi. I am a warrior and an Elder of my people and I have taught my children and my children's children and children's children children the ways of our people and I have especial taught them the ways of peace and harmony for the future.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 AM

October: Harvest Moon Duninudi

Time of traditional "Harvest Festival" Nowatequa when the people give thanks to all the living things of the fields and earth that help them live, and to the "Apportioner" Unethlana. Cheno i-equa or "Great Moon" Festival is customarily held at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality