Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 03:17 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I do not celebrate this day as a day of Thanksgiving, the native people of this land remember this day as a day of mourning...
Not all of us. My family and I do celebrate Thanksgiving; its just that we're thankful for different things! [Talk about turning the tables...!]

This has been an exceptionally good year for us -- we have a lot to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Not all of us. My family and I do celebrate Thanksgiving; its just that we're thankful for different things! [Talk about turning the tables...!]

This has been an exceptionally good year for us -- we have a lot to be thankful for.
It is good that you have something to be thankful for and it was a good year for you and your family, but never forget those that came before you that made it all possible.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
... never forget those that came before you that made it all possible.
Never. We are very thankful for their work, efforts, successes and sacrifices.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Just found this link on Metafilter:

Project 562 - Project 562- A Photo Project by Matika Wilbur documenting Native America - 562 is the number of federally recognized Tribal Nations.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
We went to Sedona, Arizona last year on vacation and I was hoping to finally see some stars, except it never occurred to me that the desert would get more rain in August than Houston does, so we didn't get to see any stars. It would be crystal clear in the mornings, then thunderstorms would roll in about mid-afternoon, rain for a little while, then it would be cloudy all night. My next place is going to be in an area where I can at least see a few stars in my back yard.
You experienced the Monsoons. Definitely not good for enjoying the stars. If you're ever back in that part of AZ, try and visit the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. Be sure and take the tours they offer. Very knowledgeable docents and the astronomers are known to stop and talk shop with visitors.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You experienced the Monsoons. Definitely not good for enjoying the stars.
Yup. I used to work for Hughes Aircraft Company. They had a facility in Tucson (now owned by Raytheon I think). I worked very hard to avoid traveling there during the monsoon season.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
that winter storm every news station has been threatening us with finally showed up. Light breeze, wind chill at 9, dusting of snow so far........thank goodness we did NOT get any rain before it got cold.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
the world is less today than it was yesterday............

Quote:
A good leader can engage in a debate frankly and thoroughly, knowing that at the end he and the other side must be closer, and thus emerge stronger. You don't have that idea when you are arrogant, superficial, and uninformed.
Read more at A good leader can engage in a debate frankly and thoroughly, knowing that at the end he... - Nelson Mandela at BrainyQuote
Quote:
Nelson Mandela, the revered South African anti-apartheid icon who spent 27 years in prison, led his country to democracy and became its first black president, died Thursday at home. He was 95.
"He is now resting," said South African President Jacob Zuma. "He is now at peace."
"Our nation has lost its greatest son," he continued. "Our people have lost their father."
A state funeral will be held, and Zuma called for mourners to conduct themselves with "the dignity and respect" that Mandela personified.
Nelson Mandela dead at 95 - World News

Old 12-05-2013, 03:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
the world is less today than it was yesterday............

Nelson Mandela dead at 95 - World News
Indeed.

But the land of spirits is richer than it was.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,770 times
Powerful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality