Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Thank you.
I am curious what religion or spiritual path do you belong to or follow?

I don't know if you are good at giving advice, but do you mind if I ask questions in this thread some times? because some times I feel I need friendly advice about things.

As Mystic stated earlier, I am a Spiritual Elder of the Tsalagi ( Cherokee ) people and I am Keetoowah ( keeper of the ancient ways ) but I am just one of many.

As for asking questions and getting answers to your questions it is encouraged within the circle to do such a thing, this is how we learn and if I cannot answer your questions there are others who are just as well qualified to do so within the circle. So please do not be afraid to ask any questions that you may have, after all there are no unintelligible questions,but also be aware that some answers may not be what you are seeking but the answers will be true.osay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 AM

670 posts, read 815,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
As Mystic stated earlier, I am a Spiritual Elder of the Tsalagi ( Cherokee ) people and I am Keetoowah ( keeper of the ancient ways ) but I am just one of many.

As for asking questions and getting answers to your questions it is encouraged within the circle to do such a thing, this is how we learn and if I cannot answer your questions there are others who are just as well qualified to do so within the circle. So please do not be afraid to ask any questions that you may have, after all there are no unintelligible questions,but also be aware that some answers may not be what you are seeking but the answers will be true.osay

Thank you.
I do have some thing which has been linger on my mind.

I am adept at helping other people with there own problems yet I have a problem I can't help myself with and have tried in the vast though it seems my efforts have been in vain.
I have always been anti-social and shy and at first I did not understand the reasons as to why, yet as I grew older I slowly began to realize that even though I have a few really good friends and a family I still feel as if some thing is amiss, I am certain that feeling is caused by the lack of a social life and that I need to interact with more people, form more friendships, and some day find some one special, but I have an all consuming fear of interacting with new people that causes me to freeze up at times when I try to inter act with new people, in most cases I remain in my bubble until another person pops it and speaks to me themselves, so most of the friends I do have are profoundly outspoken Extroverts where as I am an Introvert.
I believe this fear of interacting with others is caused by worrying that I am not going to be good enough or accepted, I also believe I have issues trusting other people and it takes a long time before I trust some one enough to open up. In most cases I am like an onion with layers upon layers of bottled up emotion and thoughts that I don't share even some times with people close to me because I some times fear that if I am not good enough or perfect they will no longer like me or love me. I know it's an irrational fear because I know those people would not do that, but the fear still exists none the less. It is that type of fear that causes me to keep strangers and some times loved ones at a distance and I don't much care for it.
I have come to hate being Anti-Social and Shy, I want to form new friendships and some day find some one special but first I have to conquer myself, conquer this what ever it is yet each and every attempt I make seems to fail and so I ask of every one who reads this,
Please tell me what I should do because I don't want to be in a tight little bubble any more?

May peace and love be with you always.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Please tell me what I should do because I don't want to be in a tight little bubble any more?
I suggest you take one small step in the right direction. After that, maybe the next step will not be so hard.

By "one small step", I mean to put yourself in a position to talk with other people. Maybe do some volunteer work you might enjoy and meet other people. Look on the internet for any kind of social groups that meet in your area. Do something.

Many of us were shy when we were young because we didn't have confidence in ourselves. Very few of us older people look back and feel good about ourselves when we were young.

As you know, Rome wasn't built in a day, and you are not going to totally re-make your personality quickly. Just take the first step.

So what are you gonna do? Please let us know.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I suggest you take one small step in the right direction. After that, maybe the next step will not be so hard.

So what are you gonna do? Please let us know.
I suppose I could try to talk to people at college instead of keeping to myself.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:

Thank you.
I do have some thing which has been linger on my mind.

I am adept at helping other people with there own problems yet I have a problem I can't help myself with and have tried in the vast though it seems my efforts have been in vain.
I have always been anti-social and shy and at first I did not understand the reasons as to why, yet as I grew older I slowly began to realize that even though I have a few really good friends and a family I still feel as if some thing is amiss, I am certain that feeling is caused by the lack of a social life and that I need to interact with more people, form more friendships, and some day find some one special, but I have an all consuming fear of interacting with new people that causes me to freeze up at times when I try to inter act with new people, in most cases I remain in my bubble until another person pops it and speaks to me themselves, so most of the friends I do have are profoundly outspoken Extroverts where as I am an Introvert.
I believe this fear of interacting with others is caused by worrying that I am not going to be good enough or accepted, I also believe I have issues trusting other people and it takes a long time before I trust some one enough to open up. In most cases I am like an onion with layers upon layers of bottled up emotion and thoughts that I don't share even some times with people close to me because I some times fear that if I am not good enough or perfect they will no longer like me or love me. I know it's an irrational fear because I know those people would not do that, but the fear still exists none the less. It is that type of fear that causes me to keep strangers and some times loved ones at a distance and I don't much care for it.
I have come to hate being Anti-Social and Shy, I want to form new friendships and some day find some one special but first I have to conquer myself, conquer this what ever it is yet each and every attempt I make seems to fail and so I ask of every one who reads this,

May peace and love be with you always.
Can only speak for myself. To overcome fears I sought out ways to force myself to face them.

I had a great fear of heights--I took up aviation and mountain climbing

I had a fear of snakes-- I became an amateur herpetologist and often gave lectures on snakes and gave demonstrations of milking venemous snakes

I had a fear of speaking to strangers and speaking first--I became a Psychologist and also sought out ways to become a public speaker.

I was afraid of Horses and other large animals--I raise and train horses as a hobby

Virtually everything I do in life are things I once had a great fear of.

Just my way of handling fears, I can not say it would work for everyone, but may be worth a try.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
ikm a poor candidate for the circle but my training on CDF since 2007 is helping me to improve.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
My oldest son is extremely painfully shy. He is almost 30 and doesn't really have a friend. He spends most of his time either at work, or in his bedroom playing video or computer games.

If you have a friend, you are further ahead than many. If you have more than one, consider yourself blessed indeed.

The mere fact you are seeking ways to expand your contacts tells me you'll likely be successful. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My oldest son is extremely painfully shy. He is almost 30 and doesn't really have a friend. He spends most of his time either at work, or in his bedroom playing video or computer games.

If you have a friend, you are further ahead than many. If you have more than one, consider yourself blessed indeed.

The mere fact you are seeking ways to expand your contacts tells me you'll likely be successful. Good luck.
Excellent point.

You are correct the fact he is seeking indicates he has taken the first and hardest step. He has completed at least 3/4 of the battle and is already well on his way to victory.

I commend him for his success.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
I suppose I could try to talk to people at college instead of keeping to myself.
OK, that is a good start.

If the first people you talk with think you are a dork, don't give up. Keep trying. I bet you will have some positive experiences.

When I talk with people, I can tell that some of them like me but others don't. That's just how it is for all of us.

Please let us know how it goes. We were all in your place at one time.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM

Thank you every one, I will keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality