Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,483,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I know that in some ways I don't understand the position of Native Americans. Feel free to remind me when I don't quite get it.
Speaking only for me, you get BIG-TIME points for trying, and for recognizing when you don't get it (or don't think you've gotten it).

It may help if I re-affirm something -- Native Americans are as diverse in their viewpoints and opinions as "Europeans" or "Africans" or "Asians" or what-have-you. We don't have "a position" but many -- VERY many.

One of the few things we all have in common is our fierce independence -- so much so that it's actually a fault. For example, had the Nations of the southeast (Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek, etc.) listened to Tecumseh (a Shawnee) and banded together against the whites, American history would probably have unfolded quite differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,974,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
it's amazing how different our backgrounds are.

I'll add nachos to the feast. You can't have a bad time when sharing a plate of nachos with friends.

Sure makes it hard for those of us whose family tree looks like a free-for-all at the UN. Maybe I can make a Pizza using a Tortilla crust, Mango curry for the sauce, For the Meat-- Pemican (From my Wife's side) octopus, lamb pieces and Goat Cheese for the cheese. I'll serve it with chop-sticks

Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,537,871 times
I had the feeling I'd said too much. For me the hard part can be kind of explained like this: when people ask me where I'm from, I honestly don't have a real answer. There is no place I can really call home. I'm not from Oregon, not from New Jersey, not from Gauhati really, even though I was born there. Not from the Indian Himalayas, even though I went to school there. I don't have a sense of home like most people have. I try to relate with people and I try too hard sometimes.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 07-29-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM

867 posts, read 904,556 times
I will sit with you in the Sacred Circle because I'm dejected. It just occurred to me that even if I could help guide people to Faith--reasoned spiritual awareness--or just get them to question their underlying reasons for not believing in God or get them to question the arguments made against the concept of God it would be too hard for them to pursue a spiritually driven life. I hope that makes sense.

At the end of the day I have to admit I was born fortunate. By that I mean, I was born in a location where no one really cares about religion with diverse religions and people with no religion and nobody cares. I was born with parents who didn't push religion on me and who allowed me to question them but ultimately find answers on my own. I remember around the age of six taking a car ride with my dad and asking him, "what came first Adam and Eve or the dinosaurs," and he laughed and said, "you are asking two different questions and if you want to find the answer to both." He wouldn't elaborate and it was living in that kind of environment with those kind of parents that has made the biggest difference in the world. I just have to accept not everyone is so fortunate.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,995,479 times
Quote:
I had the feeling I'd said too much. For me the hard part can be kind of explained like this: when people ask me where I'm from, I honestly don't have a real answer. There is no place I can really call home. I'm not from Oregon, not from New Jersey, not from Gauhati really, even though I was born there. Not from the Indian Himalayas, even though I went to school there. I don't have a sense of home like most people have. I try to relate with people and I try too hard sometimes.
You do better than you think Woodstock.

I think you have a fascinating background.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I will sit with you in the Sacred Circle because I'm dejected.
Welcome. People come to the Circle for many reasons.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 AM

10,603 posts, read 11,621,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I will sit with you in the Sacred Circle because I'm dejected. It just occurred to me that even if I could help guide people to Faith--reasoned spiritual awareness--or just get them to question their underlying reasons for not believing in God or get them to question the arguments made against the concept of God it would be too hard for them to pursue a spiritually driven life. I hope that makes sense.

At the end of the day I have to admit I was born fortunate. By that I mean, I was born in a location where no one really cares about religion with diverse religions and people with no religion and nobody cares. I was born with parents who didn't push religion on me and who allowed me to question them but ultimately find answers on my own. I remember around the age of six taking a car ride with my dad and asking him, "what came first Adam and Eve or the dinosaurs," and he laughed and said, "you are asking two different questions and if you want to find the answer to both." He wouldn't elaborate and it was living in that kind of environment with those kind of parents that has made the biggest difference in the world. I just have to accept not everyone is so fortunate.

Tsi-lugi Artifice,you are welcome to sit with us in the Sacred Circle but do not feel dejected and not everyone is as fortunate as you, some are a little more fortunate than you........from your post here I get the impression that you're trying to spread the word of your God to the less fortunate, that's all fine and dandy but you must understand that which you consider unfortunate others may consider differently. I believe we must all learn to accept the beliefs and non-beliefs of others, it does not mean that we have to believe as others do, but we should learn to respect the belief or non belief of others and accept each other as fellow human beings.I also believe that in our respect for each other we could also learn and that upon learning, a lot of animosity and hate could be dispelled. Take the time to learn about your fellow human being before passing any judgment, you may find quite an interesting person. It's good that you have a belief in a God but also remember that not everybody believes in the same God that you do. osay

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 AM

10,603 posts, read 11,621,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
it's amazing how different our backgrounds are.

I'll add nachos to the feast. You can't have a bad time when sharing a plate of nachos with friends.

got to have some frybread also,it's not a party without frybread.....

Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
got to have some frybread also,it's not a party without frybread.....
Good choice, ptsum. Since I love frybread I was thisclose to bringing it to the Circle. But we've been on a nachos kick lately at Casa Dew.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,483,480 times
Quote:
I try to relate with people and I try too hard sometimes.
Not from what I have seen. Relax and feel welcome here.

A long-term, no-nonsense/cut-to-the-chase friend of mine once said, "Home is where your a** is." I can't find even one fault with his reasoning.

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality