Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

this is my first tentative post on this thread. Now that I'm here I don't know what to say except to wish everyone a happy day, this beautiful sunny May Tuesday!

I thought also I'd just leave this as an introduction from one of my favourite poems. All the lines in the poem are wonderful really but these seem to fit here:

"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons." Max Ehrmann.

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Hi Cruithne,

I love that quote and it has special meaning to me, but haven't really thought about it for a few years. It was pretty important to me in finding my place with the creator. There was also a verse from the bible that always kept coming back to me "Be still, and know I am God"

Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Hi Cruithne,

I love that quote and it has special meaning to me, but haven't really thought about it for a few years. It was pretty important to me in finding my place with the creator. There was also a verse from the bible that always kept coming back to me "Be still, and know I am God"
While that is a way to understand it, and nothing inherently wrong with that, I don't see a creator as central to "going placidly amidst the noise and haste". The only essential element is a present-moment orientation and some cultivated self awareness.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-26-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 AM

Yeah I know I am very difficult to understand at times

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-26-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:09 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:

Yeah I know I am very difficult to understand at times

What the heck then, might as well post the whole thing. The entire poem is inspirational to me, and it wouldn't be the first time I have posted it on this forum.

Quote:
Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
Honestly, I don't even mind 'loud persons'. One of my best friends is a very loud person, but she has a heart of gold.

I do avoid 'aggressive persons' though. Who doesn't?

Among my favourite lines are these:
"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

I just love those words. Isn't it odd how a collection of words can somehow be so pleasing and uplifting?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-26-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 AM

It's why I love poetry. It is often so full of wisdom. I find my self jotting down little poems or lengthy prose in my most anxious, stressful or happiest moments

Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
As teen in the 60s, like most of my friends, I had a poster of the Desiderata in my room that followed me to University and beyond.

It's a fine piece of thought and writing.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
speaking of inspirational words, I am reminded of these particular inspirational words; it's called The Promise of Tomorrow;

The promised Creator gives us comes with every new day, the gift of breath, the gift of life, opportunities in a vast array. How do we count our blessings, through choices life can bring? is it through joyful lessons? or the fears to which we cling? are we learning to show gratitude, for the victories over human pain? by honoring the feeling choices, we grasp the will we've regained.can we change our focus, with no need to defend? acknowledging joy and sorrow, without judging foe or friend? tomorrow promises the fullness of every human way to know: how we master each challenge determines our balance, reflecting how we grow.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
It's why I love poetry. It is often so full of wisdom. I find my self jotting down little poems or lengthy prose in my most anxious, stressful or happiest moments
i carry them in my pocket too Miss Blue

Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I have another question about nomenclature. The Oregon school board has recently ordered schools to cease using mascots and nicknames derived from Native American culture. Schools whose sports teams have names like Redskins, Chiefs, Braves and Warriors will have to change.

The high school nearest to me is Aloha High School. The name seems to derive from a misspelling of a place back East; there's no obvious connection with Hawaii. Nevertheless, Aloha High uses an image of Hawaii's King Kamehameha as their mascot, and their teams are called the Warriors. They were initially included in the list of schools that would have to change, but they argued successfully that Kamehameha is a Pacific Islander, not a Native American. They will remain the Warriors.

Is that a difference that makes sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality