Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM

10,604 posts, read 11,638,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with gaining money and/or power. Remember Y2K and what a charley foxtrot that was? Yet some people made a lot of money from the fear that generated. Another thing is one-upmanship. The I know something you don't nah, nah, nah, sort of thing.

I am trying to live each day as though it might be my last, not out of fear, but the hopes this will help me make my life meaningful. If any of these predictions ARE correct there isn't much we can do about it, so do the best we can and do not worry about what we can't change.
It would seem that what you're saying about individuals taking advantage of others by using fear makes sense, unfortunately. I know that there are a great deal of different doomsday prophecies out there and that some individuals seem to relish in the idea of the end of the world scenario, however for some reason or other it always seems that when that particular date comes around for something catastrophic to happen, it doesn't and then it would seem that there is always a new date. You know it's interesting, the native cultures have always had their prophecies about certain things happening to mother Earth, however these are not prophecies of doom, these are prophecies of what can happen if certain things do not change. Mother Earth will always be here, the difference is how we treat her and what we do so as not to bring harm to our surroundings, we have an old saying, that as we travel on this earth, tread lightly, so as not to leave even our footprints behind. There may come a time when our race will become extinct, it's a possibility, however mother Earth will always be here.osay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:32 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,110,836 times
Ptsum,
From what my parents taught me and I have read, the Native Americans seem to think long term rather than short term. They lived, taking only what they needed, giving thanks for that, and felt that it was their responsibility to care for and preserve the earth. I believe I am right on this, if not, please correct me. Unfortunately other cultures seem to feel the earth and nature is simply for their benefit, and the more money or wealth they can obtain, the more succesful they are.
For myself, I have a warm place to live, enough food to eat, and clothes to wear and a loving, for the most part, family. I am succesful. I can walk out my door and fill my senses with nature, I can give and receive loving hugs, or I can turn my computer on and find wisdom or humor or a discussion. I am wealthy. I give thanks for this.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It would seem that what you're saying about individuals taking advantage of others by using fear makes sense, unfortunately. I know that there are a great deal of different doomsday prophecies out there and that some individuals seem to relish in the idea of the end of the world scenario, however for some reason or other it always seems that when that particular date comes around for something catastrophic to happen, it doesn't and then it would seem that there is always a new date. You know it's interesting, the native cultures have always had their prophecies about certain things happening to mother Earth, however these are not prophecies of doom, these are prophecies of what can happen if certain things do not change. Mother Earth will always be here, the difference is how we treat her and what we do so as not to bring harm to our surroundings, we have an old saying, that as we travel on this earth, tread lightly, so as not to leave even our footprints behind. There may come a time when our race will become extinct, it's a possibility, however mother Earth will always be here.osay
Wado

There are people who embrace fear. They choose to be worried about the coffee pot left on, they choose to worry about whether or not they ran the dogs water or shut it off. I sometimes think that if they didn't have something trivial to worry about, they would worry about that.

Then there are the ones who livelihood depends on fear. It seems the pharmaceutical industry does that a lot. they have medicine for things I never knew existed......and they encourage me to go to the doctor so I can get their latest concoction.....that I won't be able to pee or make love or grow hair or develop a meaningful relationship unless I spend $100 for a pill.

And finally, we have the ultimate fear mongers........If you don't send me money to spread the word, the world is going to end in a cataclysmic horrendous final chapter, and the only way to avoid this is to become one of my followers and be in the sky when all the bad people take over. After all the speaker is the only one who is correctly interpreting the scripture. And only he can identify the bad people who are taking over.

One of my biggest arguments against mainstream faith ministries is that they frequently teach the evil of the world and of mankind and fail to teach the beauty of the world and how to embrace and cherish the love to be found here.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,463,987 times
I have been criticised and chastised many times for saying that I feel closer to God alone with nature..The sheer magnificence, beauty and power I feel of Him there helps build my faith, and I am in tune with the creator without having to search the scriptures to see if I am right.The peace within me is His answer...

Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Ptsum,
From what my parents taught me and I have read, the Native Americans seem to think long term rather than short term. They lived, taking only what they needed, giving thanks for that, and felt that it was their responsibility to care for and preserve the earth. I believe I am right on this, if not, please correct me. Unfortunately other cultures seem to feel the earth and nature is simply for their benefit, and the more money or wealth they can obtain, the more succesful they are.
For myself, I have a warm place to live, enough food to eat, and clothes to wear and a loving, for the most part, family. I am succesful. I can walk out my door and fill my senses with nature, I can give and receive loving hugs, or I can turn my computer on and find wisdom or humor or a discussion. I am wealthy. I give thanks for this.
masonsdaughter, there is a lot of truth in your words and I guess it all depends on how you were raised and what you were taught, in my culture we have a great deal of respect for mother Earth, success is living a good life, one that is respectful of your surroundings and other lifeforms, after all when one goes from this world to the next you cannot take those material things with you, you enter the next world the same as you did this world.osay

Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Wado

There are people who embrace fear. They choose to be worried about the coffee pot left on, they choose to worry about whether or not they ran the dogs water or shut it off. I sometimes think that if they didn't have something trivial to worry about, they would worry about that.

Then there are the ones who livelihood depends on fear. It seems the pharmaceutical industry does that a lot. they have medicine for things I never knew existed......and they encourage me to go to the doctor so I can get their latest concoction.....that I won't be able to pee or make love or grow hair or develop a meaningful relationship unless I spend $100 for a pill.

And finally, we have the ultimate fear mongers........If you don't send me money to spread the word, the world is going to end in a cataclysmic horrendous final chapter, and the only way to avoid this is to become one of my followers and be in the sky when all the bad people take over. After all the speaker is the only one who is correctly interpreting the scripture. And only he can identify the bad people who are taking over.

One of my biggest arguments against mainstream faith ministries is that they frequently teach the evil of the world and of mankind and fail to teach the beauty of the world and how to embrace and cherish the love to be found here.
Goodpasture, I guess it basically comes down to, you are what you teach.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have been criticised and chastised many times for saying that I feel closer to God alone with nature..The sheer magnificence, beauty and power I feel of Him there helps build my faith, and I am in tune with the creator without having to search the scriptures to see if I am right.The peace within me is His answer...
Miss Blue, I often find it amusing, and no disrespect here, to be criticized by certain individuals who claim to know all there is to know about their Creator, yet in actuality, they know very little and are the first to criticize. No one individual can know everything there is to know about the Creator, even the most knowledgeable among us, because things are always changing and each and every day something new is happening and we are not capable of comprehending everything that happens within the span of time that we have in this world. This life is a learning process and it is our belief that we carry that knowledge into the next world and continue to learn, only those who think they have learned and know everything will be left behind because they have closed their minds to learning. osay

Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,508,584 times
Yesterday..

The Sacred Pipe was about to be broken between the stem and the bowl, clearly visible all across the western hemisphere.

Then the bowl was tilted but still showing two equally beautiful parallel flames drawn to the North.

i cried all night.

this is what a foggy morning was meant to restore to a Sacred Circle

YouTube - Sacred Dervish Dance of the Sufis

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-27-2009 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: what is the understanding of being successful?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,777,026 times

YouTube - The Invocation of The Goddess

YouTube - Goddess Protection Chant

Just stopping in to say hello dear friends.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,508,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post

moonsavvy, these chants and pictures are very beautiful and touching. i sincerely hope we can thus settle our differences. after all, friendship should find ways to overcome misunderstandings and misgivings.

My love to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality