Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WESTON, Wis. - Two parents who prayed as their 11-year-old daughter died of untreated diabetes were charged Monday with second-degree reckless homicide.
Another case of misguided religious zealots resulting in the death of yet another person. In this case, an 11 year old girl! If I was the DA, I would charge the parents with third-degree murder! There are licenses for every conceivable activity in society, except for one, the fitness of persons to reproduce and parent children!

Wis. parents who prayed as diabetic daughter died charged - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
how many times is this going to be allowed to happen?!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
Until the civil authorities get the b**** to challenge the authority of these religious crazies the same way that Texas authorities went in and removed all the children from the compound of the FLDS and it's jailed nut case leader, Warren S Jeffs!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
Until the government keeps its nose out of private business, of course.

The parents had every right to MAKE DECISIONS regarding their children's health. It was THEIR responsibility, not the government's. I may not agree with the outcome, but I definitely think that the ultimate power SHOULD reside with the parents.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

The parents had every right to MAKE DECISIONS regarding their children's health. It was THEIR responsibility, not the government's. I may not agree with the outcome, but I definitely think that the ultimate power SHOULD reside with the parents.
Parent's rights are limited, they do not extend to withholding medical treatment from their children. Parents have the responsibility to ensure that their children receive appropriate medical care, when they abrogate that responsibility, it is the duty of the civil authorities to remove minor children from the custody of their parents, as what occurred at the FLDS compound in Texas where the children were being used as baby and sex machines for the gratification of their leader, Jeffs.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM

25 posts, read 29,341 times
Steve, thanks for making that very valuable point!
We must not let people hide behind the misuse of religious liberty to endanger children. Thankfully, the prosecutor in Wisconsin can prosecute this case.
We so need to get every state not to allow religious exemptions that endanger children. I t is bad enough these morons endanger themselves without their endangering their children!
I urge others to go to: childrenhealthcare.org and lawandfaith.blogspot.com to see what they can do to set the law straight in this matter. Please contact your state authorities to encourage them to disallow that absurd exemption.
We humanists should indeed insist on this.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic griggsy View Post
Steve, thanks for making that very valuable point!
We must not let people hide behind the misuse of religious liberty to endanger children. Thankfully, the prosecutor in Wisconsin can prosecute this case.
We so need to get every state not to allow religious exemptions that endanger children. I t is bad enough these morons endanger themselves without their endangering their children!
I urge others to go to: childrenhealthcare.org and lawandfaith.blogspot.com to see what they can do to set the law straight in this matter. Please contact your state authorities to encourage them to disallow that absurd exemption.
We humanists should indeed insist on this.
Thank you fellow Humanist! BTW, I'm a Deist by theological definition. There was a tragedy that occurred in the Wilkes-Barre PA area several years ago. Parents of two autistic boys starved them to death in the name of their religious convictions, and the Luzerne County Children and Youth Services did nothing to remove the boys from the custody of their parents! The parents put one of the boys on a bus to send him to a relative in Florida, the boy died en route from dehydration and malnutrition. It was only when the Child Protective Services of the state in which the child died, I believe that it was North Carolina, got involved in the case did the LCCYS take any action in the matter! The Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and Hazleton areas are still run by the local politicians the same way that that they were when coal was king over 100 years ago! Besides Philadelphia, Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties are the two most politically corrupt counties in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania! I was born and raised in this area and I am hoping to escape to New Mexico within the next three years!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Well, if you're religious and you think this way, what about the right to abortion? That happens way before birth.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, if you're religious and you think this way, what about the right to abortion? That happens way before birth.
Excuse me, but this thread is not about abortion. Please stay on topic as I do not want to see this thread get closed. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm not particularly religious. I do believe in God, but I support abortion, euthanasia, the death penalty. I don't personally agree with what the parents did. What I agree with is THEIR RIGHT to make the decisions to trust in God regarding their daughter's health. I think it was the wrong decision, personally, but it wasn't MY decision, it wasn't the government's decision. It was THEIRS...and it was THEIR kid.

We're not permitting the government control over OUR lives or our KIDS' lives. That would ALSO be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality