Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Simple Living, I see no way anyone can prove god one way or another, and thanks for the link re atheist demographics. Being a "closet" atheist for many years I had no idea what the actual figures were. I do wonder how many, like myself have hidden their non belief....My entire family is Catholic, and so to avoid conflict I stay out of conversations regarding faith. As a matter of fact only on forums have I come out of the closet, so to speak...I see no point in bringing it up with family, because it will not change minds. Neither theirs nor mine.
There probably are a lot of people who hide their disbelief in God. It's not popular to not believe in a world where most do believe, so the chance of being harassed and teased and debated is much greater. It's too bad because if people felt more comfortable to be open about their doubts and disbelief AND if most people who call themselves "Christians" really were true, biblical Christians, there might be better communication between the two groups.

The misnomer with Christianity is that anyone who calls themselves a Christian is considered one by others. Look at the horrific "Baptist Church" headed by Fred Phelps, who targets, pickets, harasses and boycotts funerals and slurs his hate speech about homosexuals. He claims to be a Christian, but he isn't. God has nothing to do with them and they will answer for it on Judgment Day.

There is a true, biblical Christianity and people who live it. Unfortunately, those who call themselves "christians" but live differently, have given true Christianity a bad reputation. But, this was all predicted in the Bible for these times, so it really isn't a big surprise. It's just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you've seen god, you know it exists?
Do tell.
No, I haven't seen Him. The Bible says that no man can see God and live. No one could stand before His holiness and His purity, in our present sinful state, and live. But, one day, in our glorified bodies, yes, we will see Him.

But, by my relationship with Him, and through His Son Jesus, yes, I have seen Him. I talk with Him and He talks with me. This is something that can only be understood by having a personal relationship with Him. His word is His voice to us. I can say without any doubt whatsoever that He exists. He's proven Himself and His word in my life, as I read it and obey it. If the whole world were to come against me and tell me that I wasn't saved, I would still know that I am because of Him.

Everyone has what it takes to believe because the Bible says that God has given every person a measure of faith and has put the knowledge of Him, and eternity, into their hearts. The only missing piece is seeking Him honestly and wholeheartedly. The Bible promises that those who truly are seeking Him will find Him and He will make Himself known to them.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
You can't dismiss people who claim to be christians and do horrid things.
Christians are self-identified.
You either are, or aren't. You don't get to decide who is and is not a christian.
Don't like their actions, too bad.
How do you know that this god thing isn't talking to them, also?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How could you possibly know if I was sincere or not in my search?
Because the Bible promises that when we seek Him with our whole heart, we will find Him. Our motives have a lot to do with everything we do.

Quote:
If God doesn't give us what we ask for, why pray? You imply anything we ask for is faulty or wrong. I wasn't asking for a Lexus or home in the Alps.
If God is going to do his will ANYWAY, then why pray?
Because God is not a cosmic vending machine that we put our prayers in, pull a lever, and get our prize. He is holy. If you had a child and she reached up towards a hot kettle on the stove and you stop her, won't she cry and throw a fit? She sees you as not letting her have what she wants, but you know better. You're protecting her. God is the same way. We don't always get what we want in our prayers, but God always has our best interests at heart.

Not everything we ask for is wrong. Not at all. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

There are a lot of things that no person understands about God but that's part of what makes Him God. Would you want a God that you could completely understand His ways? Would He even be God if we could understand every aspect of Him? Sometimes the answer to prayer is no, yes, or not now. Sometimes prayers are answered immediately and sometimes they may take a few days, weeks, or even years. But, if we truly believe that He does what's best for us, then we will accept His timing and His answer. This is where faith comes in. We all have it and, as we use/exercise it, it grows into greater faith.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You can't dismiss people who claim to be christians and do horrid things.
Christians are self-identified.
You either are, or aren't. You don't get to decide who is and is not a christian.
Don't like their actions, too bad.
How do you know that this god thing isn't talking to them, also?
Unfortunately, Christians are not self-identified. There is a clear biblical meaning to who true Christians are and how they act. No Christian is perfect yet, this is true, but a true Christian is constantly pursuing to be transformed into the image of Christ. They aren't living sinful lifestyles. When they sin, they repent and change.

I agree, either a Christian is one or isn't. I am not the one deciding, though. I'm telling you what the scriptures say. Those are God's words, not my own.

God does use the Holy Spirit to speak to people. When someone does something bad and then feels guilty about it, that sore conscience they have is the conviction of the Holy Spirit. He speaks to people in many different ways. It just depends on whether or not they listen or respond.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
neb, she knows because you didn't get the answer she demands.
Therefore the fault lies in you not in her fiction.
I'm a man. (Just clarifying.)
I responded biblically, not in my own thoughts or feelings on the subject.
I don't demand any answers from anyone. I only hope people respond truthfully, whether it's good or bad. Nobody learns anything by holding back their feelings or suppressing their doubts and questions. God's a big enough God to take anything you want to give Him. He knows how a person really feels anyway. I have friends who have gone into fields and yelled at God, throwing rocks into the sky at Him. This doesn't make God angry at all. He actually understands and it hurts His heart to see anyone in pain or confusion.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm not perfect by any means. I want to get that said. I mess up like everyone else. I don't know all the answers and I do believe there are some things that we may not ever know on this side of eternity.

But, I do know the One who has the answers and I do trust Him. He's proven Himself to me time and time again. I can try to answer any question anyone has about God or being a Christian, but I'm not a great scholar or anyone great. I just love Him. Do you think anyone in their right mind would put themselves in a situation where others would berate and scoff them? I'm not doing this because the Bible is beautiful poetry. I wouldn't give my life for poetry. I make myself available for God to use anyway He wants to because He saved me. He took my horrific sins and cleansed me and exchanged my filthy rags for a robe of righteousness and the promise of eternity with Him. How can I possibly give Him anything less than my entire life?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I don't believe in god. That is how I choose to live my life.

I feel like if others want to live their life believing in a god, then that is their choice.

I have no need to prove there is no god to other people. I know what I believe, this is right for me. I ask NO ONE to substitute my judgement for their own.

All I ask is to be left alone by those who feel they have to force their beliefs on others. Of course I am not saying all believers are this way but there are enough that they can be annoying.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Polls have shown that over 90% of people in the world believe in God, or a higher power. Funny, then, how the "Does God exist?" debate gets so much attention. Basic reasoning would say that it's actually the responsibility of those who feign that He doesn't exist to prove that.

When it comes down to it, God's existence can't be proven OR disproved. The Bible says that we must accept by faith the fact that God exists, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6).

Sure, God could come and show Himself to the world to prove He exists but then there would be no need for faith. "Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed'” (John 20:29).

None of this means that there is no evidence of God's existence though. “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world” (Psalm 19:1-4).

Ever look at the stars and try to comprehend the vastness of the universe? Ever marvel over the wonders of nature? The beauty of a sunset? The design of things are, like the trees giving off oxygen and taking in carbon dioxide and humans doing the exact opposite? All of these things point to God, their creator.

And, if that isn't enough, there is also evidence of God in our own hearts. Ecclesiastes 3:11 says, “…He has also set eternity in the hearts of men…” Funny, isn't it how man/science can believe in infinity but not eternity.

There's something deep down in every single one of us that knows God is there and that there's something more beyond this lifetime. People can deny this knowledge intellectually, but God’s presence in us and through us is still there.

Still, the Bible says that there are those who won't believe the existence of God. "The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” (Psalm 14:1).

People claim to not believe in God because it's “not scientific” or “because there is no proof.” The true reason is that once people admit that there is a God, they also have to realize that they are responsible to God and in need of forgiveness from God (Romans 3:23; 6:23). If God exists, then we are accountable for our actions to Him. If God does not exist, then we can do whatever we want without having to worry about God judging us. That's why people cling to evolution so strongly today. It gives people an alternative to believing in a Creator God. God exists and ultimately everyone knows that He exists.

The very fact that some attempt so aggressively to disprove His existence is in fact an argument for His existence.

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT QUESTION: Since well over 90% of people throughout history, in all cultures, in all civilizations, on all continents believe in the existence of some kind of God, the question then becomes - Who, or what, started this belief that there is no God? Who/What would have reason to hurt God, and His creation, this way? Call him what you want, the devil, Satan, Lucifer, etc., but it all comes down to him.

There are also logical arguments that God exists? Would you like those, too?
I don't remember where this came from, but I have heard the saying that "The devils greatest trick was convincing us he does not exist! Now those are words to think on.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,601 times
Quote:
There probably are a lot of people who hide their disbelief in God. It's not popular to not believe in a world where most do believe, so the chance of being harassed and teased and debated is much greater.
Not so in the UK. It's the other way round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality