Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:51 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is NOT the purpose of this thread.
My apologies, it was in response to jghorton's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 12:08 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,078 times
Quote:
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just condensed your list for space, is all...Man, is that a good list!!!!
So different from the verses I think of...together they should be good.
Post #14 if u missed it.
I'll get to it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So, for purposes of this thread, why not pick one or two and expound upon it?
Miss Hepburn-Condense away. I tried to think of verses that have helped myself strive to be a better parent, husband, neighbor. The Beatitudes of course came to mind too.

Mightyqueen801-That's an excellent idea! I do appreciate others expanding on those teachings that can help us.

Phetaroi- Great thread. Thanks for posting!

Here's another teaching that comes to mind:

"And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth."-Acts 17:26

I do believe that we were created from one blood so to speak. We all spring from one source. We were never meant to divide ourselves in the many hurtful ways we see sadly displayed on the news today.

My opinion is if we could travel back in time and observe when man/woman matured to the point of being able to grasp ideas beyond food, shelter, water we would find the original principles/teachings to live by. My opinion is you can find beneficial teachings from religions, that on the surface seem worlds apart (eg Eastern and Western religions), because as mankind spread they took those teachings with them.

Sorry hope this doesn't detract from your original intent that's not my intent.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Miss Hepburn-Condense away. I tried to think of verses that have helped myself strive to be a better parent, husband, neighbor. The Beatitudes of course came to mind too.

Mightyqueen801-That's an excellent idea! I do appreciate others expanding on those teachings that can help us.

Phetaroi- Great thread. Thanks for posting!

Here's another teaching that comes to mind:

"And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth."-Acts 17:26

I do believe that we were created from one blood so to speak. We all spring from one source. We were never meant to divide ourselves in the many hurtful ways we see sadly displayed on the news today.

My opinion is if we could travel back in time and observe when man/woman matured to the point of being able to grasp ideas beyond food, shelter, water we would find the original principles/teachings to live by. My opinion is you can find beneficial teachings from religions, that on the surface seem worlds apart (eg Eastern and Western religions), because as mankind spread they took those teachings with them.

Sorry hope this doesn't detract from your original intent that's not my intent.

I second that

if there is a blood to the surface of the earth ... its water.

If you traveled back you would find humans, Very similar to today. well, no cell phones of course.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Stay away from the books written by Paul, John, and Peter. Probably a few others too.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Stay away from the books written by Paul, John, and Peter.
Probably a few others too.
Well, we could list some amazing verses from all of them, chuck
full of inspiring wisdom and guidance.
So, I dunno about that - one must let the Holy Spirit, um ....heart, conscience ---guide them.
My take.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:02 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, we could list some amazing verses from all of them, chuck
full of inspiring wisdom and guidance.
So, I dunno about that - one must let the Holy Spirit, um ....heart, conscience ---guide them.
My take.
Ozzy clearly didn't get the purpose of the thread. Which is ironic since here we are asking for "neutral" wisdom from the NT.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:01 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
...Are there specific teachings in the New Testament that have value even for people who are not now and have no intention of becoming a christian.

.... I'm talking about specific PRINCIPLES from the NT that would be of value to people of other faiths.
I'd say, yes, absolutely. And I'm referring strictly to the Gospels, and the lessons and teachings of Christ. Many deal with basics for healthy and quality daily living such as: non-judgement of others, of not seeing a problem in others while we ignore much bigger issues we have personally, the importance of forgiveness, treating all equally, of loving our neighbors, of being healthy inside and out (and not like wolves in sheeps clothing, or not as gleaming white tombs but full of stench and death), being symbols of light (in times of darkness), etc.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-23-2020 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-23-2020, 09:51 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd say, yes, absolutely. And I'm referring strictly to the Gospels, and the lessons and teachings of Christ. Many deal with basics for healthy and quality daily living such as: non-judgement of others, of not seeing a problem in others while we ignore much bigger issues we have personally, the importance of forgiveness, treating all equally, of loving our neighbors, of being healthy inside and out (and not like wolves in sheeps clothing, or not as gleaming white tombs but full of stench and death), being symbols of light (in times of darkness), etc.
Nicely put.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Boom ... chaka-la .... BOOM.

this thread is an example of how some people can't keep ideas separate in their heads and/or how their emotional tie (more specifically a knot) hinder proper and healthy evaluations.

And some people can.

for me ... I like to keep discussions about useful teachings in the bible separate from bad religion and objective evaluations of god claims.

after all , this is supposed to be a religion and spirituality section. where we talk about what we believe. Its not a place were we only tell others they are wrong without discussing our beliefs. If atheism is about commonsense and reason then we compare our claims side by side. without a political agenda.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:26 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Sure there are many ethics rules that come from these scriptures which people can live with and could even benefit without Jesus Christ, as many rules people can resist the devil and the devil will leave people alone to an extent if Jesus is not involved with peoples lives, still obeying the ethics in religion without Jesus would be just legalism and be a waste of time without Jesus Christ involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality