Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times

Advertisements

"A brain that is more predisposed to implicit pattern learning may be more inclined to believe in a god no matter where in the world that brain happens to find itself, or in which religious context,"

Interesting research, So basically what has been said for many years that beliefs come first and explanations for beliefs follow.

Individuals who can unconsciously predict complex patterns, an ability called implicit pattern learning, are likely to hold stronger beliefs that there is a god who creates patterns of events in the universe, according to neuroscientists at Georgetown

"Belief in a god or gods who intervene in the world to create order is a core element of global religions," says the study's senior investigator, Adam Green, an associate professor in the Department of Psychology and Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience at Georgetown, and director of the Georgetown Laboratory for Relational Cognition.

"This is not a study about whether God exists, this is a study about why and how brains come to believe in gods. Our hypothesis is that people whose brains are good at subconsciously discerning patterns in their environment may ascribe those patterns to the hand of a higher power," he adds.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0909085942.htm

Last edited by Diesel350z; 09-14-2020 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 01:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Well, I guess if you stick with a specific god, as in deity only, then ok. But as soon as we step pout of the box and think we will have to question what type of brain has to reject anything and everything, no matter how reasonable.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:15 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Still, when people engage to believe and then are obedient to God’s commands for conversion, as God would make a profound visitation to the convert who is obedient and resist the pride nature of the world, So the brain is needed by God for interaction, but if the brain is weak God will still show himself, and converts will be completely surprised, and they discovered what most in the world will never find, which is a living God

Old 09-14-2020, 05:36 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
I could see this being accurate. I think that's a little like synchronicity. My mind likes to do that especially if I'm under stress or feel dissociated. I don't know if I am more predisposed to finding patterns or not but that's how I felt God was reaching out to me, through patterns. A lot of my patterns seem to be false positives. I found out it's a thing and put it in the fun category instead of the real category. Also, when I found out it was a thing my recognition of the patterns halfed.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I could see this being accurate. I think that's a little like synchronicity. My mind likes to do that especially if I'm under stress or feel dissociated. I don't know if I am more predisposed to finding patterns or not but that's how I felt God was reaching out to me, through patterns. A lot of my patterns seem to be false positives. I found out it's a thing and put it in the fun category instead of the real category. Also, when I found out it was a thing my recognition of the patterns halfed.
thats what its about, patters, feedback loops and information exchanges. What about classifications that cam make it seem like a deity but it isn't?

Old 09-14-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats what its about, patters, feedback loops and information exchanges. What about classifications that cam make it seem like a deity but it isn't?
It felt like messages. Like someone or something was putting them there for me to find. They had always been there but I just didn't notice them before. We are bombarded with so much information that just about any message could be made. The message of love is always there. You'd have to be purposely avoiding it not so see it. External at first and then just this sense of "knowing". The weirdest thing is when I was about to notice a message I would see a pair of things, one red, one yellow. For instance, once there was a red vase and a yellow vase in someone's shopping cart in a dept store I was in. Everytime I turned around that shopping cart was there with the two vases but no one was around. Once I saw couples walking and one was wearing a red jacket and one a yellow. I kept seeing people walking in pairs with one red and one yellow jacket.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It felt like messages. Like someone or something was putting them there for me to find. They had always been there but I just didn't notice them before. We are bombarded with so much information that just about any message could be made. The message of love is always there. You'd have to be purposely avoiding it not so see it. External at first and then just this sense of "knowing". The weirdest thing is when I was about to notice a message I would see a pair of things, one red, one yellow. For instance, once there was a red vase and a yellow vase in someone's shopping cart in a dept store I was in. Everytime I turned around that shopping cart was there with the two vases but no one was around. Once I saw couples walking and one was wearing a red jacket and one a yellow. I kept seeing people walking in pairs with one red and one yellow jacket.
This is out my area. I am strictly talking about classifications we have in science that match what we see going on around us.

Basically, using science data to form a belief that is the same thing that the science data describes. Although flawed, when the belief and the science data are the same thing we can be assured our belief is as sound as it gets.

What I like about it, is when we do that it tends to self correct over time.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
This is out my area. I am strictly talking about classifications we have in science that match what we see going on around us.

Basically, using science data to form a belief that is the same thing that the science data describes. Although flawed, when the belief and the science data are the same thing we can be assured our belief is as sound as it gets.

What I like about it, is when we do that it tends to self correct over time.
Maybe you are high in that pattern recognition and that's how it looks to you.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
"A brain that is more predisposed to implicit pattern learning may be more inclined to believe in a god no matter where in the world that brain happens to find itself, or in which religious context,"

Interesting research, So basically what has been said for many years that beliefs come first and explanations for beliefs follow.

Individuals who can unconsciously predict complex patterns, an ability called implicit pattern learning, are likely to hold stronger beliefs that there is a god who creates patterns of events in the universe, according to neuroscientists at Georgetown

"Belief in a god or gods who intervene in the world to create order is a core element of global religions," says the study's senior investigator, Adam Green, an associate professor in the Department of Psychology and Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience at Georgetown, and director of the Georgetown Laboratory for Relational Cognition.

"This is not a study about whether God exists, this is a study about why and how brains come to believe in gods. Our hypothesis is that people whose brains are good at subconsciously discerning patterns in their environment may ascribe those patterns to the hand of a higher power," he adds.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0909085942.htm
That's consistent with the statement that David in Psalm 22:9 "Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother’s breasts.", and Ephesians 2:8-9 that states that faith is a gift from God, or Jesus' statement in John 6 that only those the Father gives him will come to him.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:18 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's consistent with the statement that David in Psalm 22:9 "Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother’s breasts.", and Ephesians 2:8-9 that states that faith is a gift from God, or Jesus' statement in John 6 that only those the Father gives him will come to him.
And it's consistent with what Afghans believe. So what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality