Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 10:36 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

This is a thread for BOTH christians and atheists (or for that matter, any other religious group).

Atheists -- what if today we found out conclusively that there was a god? How would you adjust your life?

Christians -- what it today we found out conclusively that there was no god? How would you adjust your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 AM

256 posts, read 114,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Atheists -- what if today we found out conclusively that there was a god? How would you adjust your life?
I can't really answer this without knowing more. I'd need to know which god and what the implications are. If it's an omnipotent being that isn't affiliated with a particular religion I'd need to know if it is at all concerned with me, how I live my life and what the implications are. If it's entirely unconcerned with me I'd accept it exists but wouldn't need to adjust anything else.

Last edited by LogaKoga; 09-19-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
I can't really answer this without knowing more. I'd need to know which god and what the implications are. If it's an omnipotent being that isn't affiliated with a particular religion, I'd need to know if it was at all concerned with me, how I live my life, and what the implications are. If it's entirely unconcerned with me I'd accept it exists but wouldn't need to adjust anything else.
Yes, I mostly agree. If there is a god, I think he is most likely a deistic god.

And then there's the question of would one want to worship a god that made some of the decisions we see written about in the old testament.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:36 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Too hard a question, Phet!

Old 09-19-2020, 11:40 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
I'm a Christian. The question is of course hypothetical since it cannot be proven conclusively that there is no god. But answering hypothetically, I would simply accept it. I go where the evidence leads and won't deny reality to hold onto a belief that has no basis in reality. But maybe that's just me.

I have no problem with the universe coming into existence though naturalistic means. The eternal inflation model in which 'big bangs' are constantly occurring and creating new universes seems plausible to me. So does the fact that if our universe is truly infinite then there are an infinite number of copies of ourselves in that infinite universe.

Hear physicist Brian Green.

PARALLEL UNIVERSES: If The Universe Is Infinite Then It's Guaranteed That Our Universe Will Repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNcL7ioV_ns

Old 09-19-2020, 11:47 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default What if you're wrong about god?

Since "We Do Not Know" there is a high probability that we will be wrong about God. The real questions are will it matter and why will it matter. If atheists' preferences are at all likely the answer to both will be "No" because there will be no consequences. If theists' preferences are at all likely the answer to both will be "Yes" because there will likely be some consequences based on why God and we exist.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Too hard a question, Phet!
LOL. It is complex.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
the conclusive evidence for me is that we are in a system better described as life. I think that's what people think is god. I really do not see describing it as non life as more reasonable.

Doesn't change my life one bit.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:37 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
This is a thread for BOTH christians and atheists (or for that matter, any other religious group).

Christians -- what it today we found out conclusively that there was no god? How would you adjust your life?
I'd be fine if there were conclusively a god. I'm not married to my dogma. I was a fundamentalist Christian for the majority of my life and I totally went the other way. I know I can change when I need to. That being said, knowing that there were a god wouldn't change the way I presently live.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,640 times
Quote:

From an Atheist perspective, it wouldn’t change my life, and He/She would forgive me anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality