Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:57 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Again it is quite interesting to note the difference between the two sets of 10 commandments. The second set is obviously far more dedicated to that goal of allowing consideration of no other god.

11. To emulate His ways—Deuteronomy 28:9

That's a tall order given what most of us have imagined god to be, omnipotent and all, and I suspect the commandments to follow will help give example of how we can emulate God's ways. Interesting to consider in this light too if you ask me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thank you, and of course I think we can all relate to the requirement no other god be recognized...I'm no big historian along these lines, but no doubt at the time there was the knowledge that many people of the time and before believed in other gods. Lots of people with alternative notions about other gods, so I suspect there was good reason if not necessity to clear the slate of those gods in order to promote the One, far as the authors of the Bible were concerned anyway. Hardly different from many a dictator who has attempted to make sure no contenders are allowed consideration. Never works too well regardless the source or times however...

Since I am not religious, certainly not a follower of any religion over another, I feel I am better able to consider the reason(s) for these commandments in a bit more objective manner than people who are religious,

be them Christian or non-Christian. Again in the context of the times; while at the same time, for example, there were other gods, religions and notions about such things very different going on in other parts of the world. Probably all of them evolving for similar political reasons too. I'm no historian, but I've read much about these histories. On a less serious note, your comment reminds me of a joke I recently read in the atheist joke thread...Jesus..., "so I was like 'I'm the Son of God," and they were like "no way," and I was like "Yahweh."Please forgive me for passing that one along if anyone doesn't also find it humorous...
you dismiss God and identify as a non-believer.
you dismiss religion. you identify that you are not part of any religion.
you have a posting history that consistently demonstrates your low regard for religion and those who are religious.

this makes you LESS qualified not MORE qualified to understand, discuss, evaluate a body of information that centers on a person's relationship with the Creator.

it's like saying i know nothing about professional football, hockey, basketball, and baseball. in fact i think professional sports is stupid and a waste of time and people who devote their lives to following them are mental midgets. Therefore that means I am more objective and able to consider the relevance of professional sports and why people are sports fans.

see why that doesn't work? i question the purported motive as disingenuous. for the same reason my claimed "objectivity" about professional sports would be utterly disingenuous.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2020 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-27-2020, 11:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you dismiss God and identify as a non-believer.
you dismiss religion. you identify that you are not part of any religion.
you have a posting history that consistently demonstrates your low regard for religion and those who are religious.

this makes you LESS qualified not MORE qualified to understand, discuss, evaluate a body of information that centers on a person's relationship with the Creator.

it's like saying i know nothing about professional football, hockey, basketball, and baseball. in fact i think professional sports is stupid and a waste of time and people who devote their lives to following them are mental midgets. Therefore that means I am more objective and able to consider the relevance of professional sports and why people are sports fans.

see why that doesn't work? i question the purported motive as disingenuous. for the same reason my claimed "objectivity" about professional sports would be utterly disingenuous.
So, you know more about sports than you’re letting on?...

Old 09-27-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Generally speaking for the same reason(s) I have studied religion (and history) most of my adult life...One of those reasons is because many of these writings, holy books, religions have both a direct and indirect influence on all our lives. I've read plenty of history about that sort of thing too, all the way up to present day current events. Why does anyone want to learn about what others believe or do? Should I not attempt to better understand conservative perspective even though I lean liberal for example? Also of course, I can always convert to Judaism.That's why.
no, that is not the case. you can not.
you lack what is needed.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
no, that is not the case. you can not.
you lack what is needed.
Why would he not be able to convert?...

Old 09-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking for the same reason(s) I have studied religion (and history) most of my adult life...One of those reasons is because many of these writings, holy books, religions have both a direct and indirect influence on all our lives. I've read plenty of history about that sort of thing too, all the way up to present day current events. Why does anyone want to learn about what others believe or do? Should I not attempt to better understand conservative perspective even though I lean liberal for example? Also of course, I can always convert to Judaism. That's why.
you have mentioned "history" "current events" "government" "leaders" and "politics" as your interest and focus of study. That misses the point entirely what the mitzvot are about: a person's connection to God, a person's relationship with the Creator.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2020 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-27-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Why would he not be able to convert?...
because he doesn't have what it takes.

"Conversion to Judaism is a process governed by Jewish religious law. Conversions are overseen by a religious court, which must be convinced that the convert:

"is sincere
is converting for the right reasons
is converting of their own free will
has a thorough knowledge of Jewish faith and practices
will live an observant Jewish life
because the person believes the faith and culture of the Jewish people is right for them

"the convert must have an overpowering wish to join the Jewish people and share in their destiny, and be committed to loving God and following His wishes as expressed in the Torah. There is no other reason that can enable a person to truly enter the covenant between God and the Jewish people, and do it freely, without reservation, forever, and to the exclusion of all other faiths."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/relig...nversion.shtml

The posting history of the OP does not demonstrate the above.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-27-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
because he doesn't have what it takes.

"Conversion to Judaism is a process governed by Jewish religious law. Conversions are overseen by a religious court, which must be convinced that the convert:

"is sincere
is converting for the right reasons
is converting of their own free will
has a thorough knowledge of Jewish faith and practices
will live an observant Jewish life
because the person believes the faith and culture of the Jewish people is right for them

"the convert must have an overpowering wish to join the Jewish people and share in their destiny, and be committed to loving God and following His wishes as expressed in the Torah. There is no other reason that can enable a person to truly enter the covenant between God and the Jewish people, and do it freely, without reservation, forever, and to the exclusion of all other faiths."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/relig...nversion.shtml

The posting history of the OP does not demonstrate the above.
Addressing the bolded above, how would he accomplish this without going through the conversion process?...

Old 09-27-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Addressing the bolded above, how would he accomplish this without going through the conversion process?...
1. one is not predicated upon the other.

2. whether a person is even accepted to participate in the conversion process is determined by their motivation and reasons for doing so. not based on what they "know" about Judaism.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
1. one is not predicated upon the other.

2. whether a person is even accepted to participate in the conversion process is determined by their motivation and reasons for doing so. not based on what they "know" about Judaism.
You said:

Quote:
has a thorough knowledge of Jewish faith and practices.
And I asked:

Quote:
How is he going to accomplish that without going through the conversion process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality