Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 08:33 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
atheism is less than that.
it is a zero trick pony.

the same old same old nothing.
Now that is what I call fingers in the ears, eyes screwed shut and shouting denial. The model for the 'eternal theist' statue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 09:10 AM

63,798 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Why do you need religion when we have direct access to the divine already?
We don't, but it reflects our continuing effort to understand the Divine by taking on board what others have seen of the Divine. I feel privileged in that regard because I encountered the Divine when I was looking for something else so that direct access removed the doubt about it for me. My intellect was less accepting and it took a great deal of work over a long time to bring it onboard.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Now that is what I call fingers in the ears, eyes screwed shut and shouting denial. The model for the 'eternal theist' statue.
Mirror, mirror on the wall who is projecting himself on others.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Can a person believe in one God, one doctrine and baptism( eg dedication to one's God)and yet have honor for all sorts of people (LGBQT, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Shinto, Atheists, other sects, faiths, etc)? It is possible and is practiced daily by some who are "religious people." Yet, I think some people have the mentality that if, "you aren't for me you're against me." I also observe too often that people who judge "religious people" are those that present a "differing viewpoint" or "evidence" in the form of disparaging a person's God, organization, holy book,or fellow believers. I'll call these judgmental people the "dogmatically spiritual." They are also dangerous.
Quote:
Odd sort of view. Those religious who 'honor' Hindus, Buddhists and the lettuce bacon and tomato people are fine and we can all get along. Even if they are convinced that their religion is correct and all the others are wrong....

Yes Transponder! a Christian can believe in x,y,and z and still want to live in harmony with others who don't. Sadly, it's an odd view only because of the pain and hurt through the centuries caused by those who profess to be "Christian." Consider that before Christianity was granted official status by the Roman Empire it did not spread through support of Kings, armies, conquests, politicking, etc.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Odd sort of view. Those religious who 'honor' Hindus, Buddhists and the lettuce bacon and tomato people are fine and we can all get along. Even if they are convinced that their religion is correct and all the others are wrong.

It is those who do the with or against that are, as you say, the danger. They are the ones who do not honour the ones who are different in their lifestyles and beliefs. If you regard those as dangerous as I do, we may have a lot more in common than I would have supposed, notwithstanding your tendency to post wads of Christian Dogma as though it was unquestionble evidence.
kinda sounds just like you.

"we atheist can get along just fine with believers. Even thought they are weak spaghetti minded people that are delusional and dangerous. They don't even get we atheist have the one true, default faith statement"

Old 10-08-2020, 01:02 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Yes Transponder! a Christian can believe in x,y,and z and still want to live in harmony with others who don't. Sadly, it's an odd view only because of the pain and hurt through the centuries caused by those who profess to be "Christian." Consider that before Christianity was granted official status by the Roman Empire it did not spread through support of Kings, armies, conquests, politicking, etc.
I can certainly approve a country where all religions are tolerated (even better if non -believers in Any religion are tolerated). But I'd rather see a country where no one religion dominates and it is not expected that a person has to believe in any particular religion.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
kinda sounds just like you.

"we atheist can get along just fine with believers. Even thought they are weak spaghetti minded people that are delusional and dangerous. They don't even get we atheist have the one true, default faith statement"
You have correctly "sussed" his Dogma, Arach. That is why he ignores you and tries everything he can to denigrate you and your views along with mine.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
ikr, how do we explain to them that more happened in the first second of the universe than has happen from t=1second to t=14 billion years?

these "lets suppress something more because religion is so bad" is utterly adolescent thinking. and to "just get out of their way" is down right neglect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality