Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM

246 posts, read 649,210 times

Advertisements

[quote=juj;3989725]The reason the source for documents written by the early Church Fathers is held by the Catholic Church is because their members WROTE them. There is no one else to get that info from. And if you use the logic that the early Church Father's writings cannot be trusted, then you might as well rip the New Testament out of your Bible and throw it in the trash, because it can't be trusted either. The early Church Fathers were instructed by the Apostles and disciples of the Apostles. If they were wrong, than the Apostles must have been nodding off when Jesus was telling them something or couldn't explain things very well. Your type of logic leaves the Gospels with no credibility.

Again, there is no "Christian Church". That is an organization that doesn't exist except in a few people's minds. Who are the earthly heads of this organization? Where is the organization located. Where is the nearest "Christian Church" I can go to and attend a service?

QUOTE]

Reads Acts and you'll find several references to the early church - Christian church - it actually states Christian church. And early members were called Christians.

Ya lost me on the whole part of ripping out the New testament - who said anything about the early church writings not to be trusted? Not my words.

As much as I appreciate our discussion, I still can't help but feeling that you think of yourself and every Catholic as having more of the Full Truth than any other Christian out there. Isn't that called Pride?

Last edited by GausJAMS; 06-05-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Default it occured to me...

This back and forth that we've had, among others, really is out of place. Very Off topic -

For OP, accept my apologies. I got caught up in it and forgot what the original topic was -

this is a place/thread to celebrate someone finding their place in God's kingdom, in the Body of believers and surely not to elevate one denom. over another, one group of believers above another.

I don't regret sharing, but I do regret having shared it on the wrong thread.

Juj and others, we could start another thread - but I'm pretty sure it's been done a few times. ANd, really, I think we've shared all that's on our hearts - or heads- and should resolve to be at peace, disagreeing - what do ya say?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
sad to think that this argument started when someone wanted to share with others his/her find of spiritual peace. can't you all at least go start your own threads about the evils of catholicism, instead of coming in here and raining on this guy's parade? it's particularly disturbing for me to see so much of the rabid hatred coming from supposed christians.

aaron out.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
This Tuesday starts the beginning of a process called RCIA in the Catholic Church, where I will be fully initiated into the Catholic way of life. I have been wanting to start this process for two years now, but never got the courage to really start it. A few months ago I talked to the program director for RCIA, and she strongly encouraged me to start.

I am very excited to become a member of the Catholic Church.

Welcome home!

May you have a blessed time during this very important journey in your life. You are going to learn a lot, not just about the Church but about yourself and the importance of your life to Christ. Again, welcome home.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
This back and forth that we've had, among others, really is out of place. Very Off topic -

For OP, accept my apologies. I got caught up in it and forgot what the original topic was -

this is a place/thread to celebrate someone finding their place in God's kingdom, in the Body of believers and surely not to elevate one denom. over another, one group of believers above another.

I don't regret sharing, but I do regret having shared it on the wrong thread.

Juj and others, we could start another thread - but I'm pretty sure it's been done a few times. ANd, really, I think we've shared all that's on our hearts - or heads- and should resolve to be at peace, disagreeing - what do ya say?

Hey, I was just defending the Church that this good man was coming home to. I believe this man should come to the Catholic Church with as little doubt as possible about the decision he is making. There's nothing better than to see an excited Catholic. I don't really ever expect to convince most folks about Apostolic succession and the authority that that brings. Some people will never let that sink in and for some that day might be tomorrow. Again, the Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways. Like this good gentlemen coming into the faith, a person must be ready from the inside. It's not something that happens or should happen from pressure from the outside.

Question: When is a person is ready for the the truth?
Answer: When he asks for it.

Peace be with you.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:29 AM

sty - I don't think there was any hate sharing going on. (truly)

Juj, wouldn't you agree?

I'm not a Catholic hater and I don't think Juj and the others are "protestant" haters- what I dislike is when anyone exalts their "religious" beliefs over another that believes in the same God as they.

In fact, I married a Catholic - not just an Easter Catholic, either.

One of the best mentors The Lord ever sent my way got saved in a Catholic church (she was no longer involved in the Catholic church, as the Lord had another place for her, within the body of Christ.) But, can you see what I'm saying? I believe that Jesus is my Lord and savior and follow hard after Him with my whole heart and do not consider myself a Catholic AND I do not ever say that I am more full of Truth than anyone else who believes in The Lord Jesus Christ. I don't think I could be part of a group of believers who thought that either. But, I accept Catholics, because to me, they are truly part of the Body - equal and effective and called for a purpose - to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ and expand the Kingdom of God, by speaking Truth (God's Word) in love.

Sty - To show my earnest too late realization of our hijacking the OP's thread and to apologize, I did heartfully post - did you read that?

Anyway, thanks for letting me be real and share my heart. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm out to disrespect or to "hate". I hope you can get past our O/T banter.

Last edited by GausJAMS; 06-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
sty - I don't think there was any hate sharing going on. (truly)

Juj, wouldn't you agree?

I'm not a Catholic hater and I don't think Juj and the others are "protestant" haters- what I dislike is when anyone exalts their "religious" beliefs over another that believes in the same God as they.

In fact, I married a Catholic - not just an Easter Catholic, either.

One of the best mentors The Lord ever sent my way got saved in a Catholic church (she was no longer involved in the Catholic church, as the Lord had another place for her, within the body of Christ.) But, can you see what I'm saying? I believe that Jesus is my Lord and savior and follow hard after Him with my whole heart and do not consider myself a Catholic AND I do not ever say that I am more full of Truth than anyone else who believes in The Lord Jesus Christ. I don't think I could be part of a group of believers who thought that either. But, I accept Catholics, because to me, they are truly part of the Body - equal and effective and called for a purpose - to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ and expand the Kingdom of God, by speaking Truth (God's Word) in love.

Sty - To show my earnest too late realization of our hijacking the OP's thread and to apologize, I did heartfully post - did you read that?

Anyway, thanks for letting me be real and share my heart. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm out to disrespect or to "hate". I hope you can get past our O/T banter.
i can understand and appreciate that you apologized for it, but that makes one out of half a dozen or so.

and it is more than just o/t. it is disrespectful. i am sure there are better analogies, but the one that comes to mind is to interrupt someone's birthday party to tell them that celebrating holidays is evil.

for one, that's *your* opinion, not everyone else's. secondly, it is something that most normal people ackowledge is something you have faith in, not something you know. if you really think you know it, and have surpassed the faith part, then you are either on par with moses and the apostles (unlikely), or you are confused. faith is an integral part of christianity. and lastly, use a little bit of common sense, a little bit of that golden rule that we should all be following, and try to treat people with respect. there are times and places for everything. interrupting someone's birthday party is not one of them.

just to clarify, this was not directed 100% against you; it is equally directed at everyone that does this, christian, atheist, fsm, or otherwise, and i know that i am on that list sometimes myself. it has to do with opening your awareness and trying to empathize with those around you, those people that were put on this earth for the same purpose that you were put here, and need just as much love, support, and respect as i am sure that you and i think we deserve.

aaron out.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:20 PM

188 posts, read 506,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Here we go. Where was your chuch for over 1500 years? The Catholic Church was started by Jesus Christ Himself and developed by His Apostles with the power of the Holy Spirit. We read from the Gospel EVERY Mass. If it's false for us, it's false for you.
Oh boy. Here we go is right. Jesus did not start the Catholic Church. Where does it say that in the Bible? Or anywhere for that matter?

Old 06-08-2008, 02:49 PM

188 posts, read 506,477 times
[quote=juj;3975611]What exactly is the Christian Church? Is this a mythical organization?

Catholic means "universal". It is THE all encompassing Church created by Jesus as specified in Matthew 16. The early Church Fathers as described in their letters as early as 100 AD has Bishops of the Church in all the then known major city/regions of the earth. Catholics do not try to divide. On the contrary, they are always trying to reunite with their separated brothers. What was dangerous was what Martin Luther did in the 1500's. Since then there has been schism after schism. All you need for a new Christian church nowadays is a Bible and an opinion. If you are a good enough speaker, there are always people ready to follow. If the Catholic Church got it wrong, then the Apostles got it wrong since they helped Peter build the Church. It also means the Bible is wrong since it was the Catholics who determined the contents of the Bible.

The Catholic Church has the highest respect for other Christian denominations and believes they have varying levels of the truth. We also believe that a good God fearing Methodist for example who is true to his religion can gain more grace than a poor Catholic who gains nothing from his or her religion. We don't claim to be perfect as an organization, but if you really do your OWN homework and do research with an open mind, you must come to conclusion that the Church that Jesus started is the Roman Catholic Church.[/quote]

Distortion of scripture. Point blank. By the way, what in the world did Luther do that was so "dangerous", other than bringing REFORMATION back to the "church". Again, I reiterate that the scripture in Matthew NO WHERE says that the original church was called "Catholics". I ask you to defend where in the Bible that it says to pray to Mary for forgiveness? As a matter of fact, that is, in my opinion, directly against what Jesus taught. I'm so sorry to say this, because I'm sure you'll take offense, but the Catholic's defense is no better than the Jehovah's Witnesses.... just taking scriptures that sound good and saying "Yeah, we're the people that scripture is talking about". FYI, the Bible speaks the truth of God, and one who argues the Catholic doctrine does so because the real truth was proven in the Bible. The Bible clearly rejects the most important doctrine that the Cath church preaches.... that you have to work for your salvation, and that God chooses people (as Jesus said); people don't choose God, as the Catholic church teaches.

Last edited by REFORMED; 06-08-2008 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: highlight

Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
As a Lutheran I have a deep respect for Martin Luther. I believe he was the great reformer of all time. But I also have respect for the Catholic Church. I know there are Catholics that hate Martin Luther. But Martin Luther's actions made the Catholic Church better and safer for it's followers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality