Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Haaziq
Quote:
Hong Kong has a free market economy. It is not communist like the rest of China. As a matter of fact, Hong Kong has the most free economy in the world. Tell me how it doesn't work. Don't worry, I'll wait.
Capitalism, like communism will eventually stop working, because like any ideology they have to conform to reality.
An ideology is just a lens through which we view reality, unfortunately most people confuse the lens (their ideology) with reality.
Furthermore capitalism is only an economical philosophy and trying to explain life through economics will surely not enrich it; capitalism is only a means and not an end as so many economists believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:00 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by HaaziqCapitalism, like communism will eventually stop working, because like any ideology they have to conform to reality.
An ideology is just a lens through which we view reality, unfortunately most people confuse the lens (their ideology) with reality.
Furthermore capitalism is only an economical philosophy and trying to explain life through economics will surely not enrich it; capitalism is only a means and not an end as so many economists believe.
Capitalism has years under its belt.

Communism stopped working because without competition, products aren't of good quality. When have capitalist countries had a nuclear reactor explode? Never. Do you know why? Because money is actually spent on building good reactors and making sure the workers are trained properly. The government is cheap, so when you rely on them for products, you get cheap quality. That isn't limited to one country and it has been shown throughout history.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Capitalism has years under its belt.
Years compared to what?

Does capitalism explain life?
No.
Capitalism is just like religion, it tries to explain those things we do not understand. For 20+ centuries we have had Christianity as a religion and has this religion solved the age old problems of humanity?
No.
We still wage war over the silliest of reason.
After all the centuries that has passed by, humanity still has the same prehistoric caveman mentality.
I admit that we have improved on a technological level, but it still won't prevent us from self-destructing ourselves by destroying our environment.
Man is still plagued by the same greed as in the beginning.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Haaziq Years compared to what?

Does capitalism explain life?
No.
Capitalism is just like religion, it tries to explain those things we do not understand. For 20+ centuries we have had Christianity as a religion and has this religion solved the age old problems of humanity?
No.
We still wage war over the silliest of reason.
After all the centuries that has passed by, humanity still has the same prehistoric caveman mentality.
I admit that we have improved on a technological level, but it still won't prevent us from self-destruction by destroying our environment.
Man is still plagued by the same greed as in the beginning.
Why are you trying to compare capitalism to religion? They are in two entirely different categories.

And no, capitalism doesn't explain anything. It's just an economic system that originated in the Austrian School.

I don't know what you're even trying to prove by attempting to draw a connection between capitalism and religion.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Why are you trying to compare capitalism to religion? They are in two entirely different categories.
Because I see no difference between a religion and a philosophy.
What philosophies and religions have in common is that both only work as long as there are people who believe in them.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,060,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hitler was an occultist? That is nothing more than a myth which began in the 60s. Hitler was a christian, who believed in an Aryan Christ.

Adolf Hitler's religious beliefs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drawing on higher criticism and some branches of theologically liberal Protestantism, Hitler advocated Positive Christianity, traditional Christianity purged of everything that he found objectionable. Hitler never directed his attacks on Jesus himself,[23] but viewed traditional Christianity as a corruption of the original ideas of Jesus, whom Hitler regarded as an Aryan opponent of the Jews.[24] In Mein Kampf Hitler writes that Jesus "made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross." Hitler rejected the idea of Jesus' redemptive suffering, stating in 1927:
"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter."

I see the flaw in your logic. Being an Atheist, you have no spiritual understanding. It would be like me trying to explain color to a blind person. There was a time that I was as blind as you are on this subject.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I see the flaw in your logic. Being an Atheist, you have no spiritual understanding. It would be like me trying to explain color to a blind person. There was a time that I was as blind as you are on this subject.
I was a christian for many years sandgirl, so don't say I have no understanding. You are the one with the blinders on that will not accept anything that is not in your bible. Believe what you want, but I am always ready to accept new ideas. Obviously you are not.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,060,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I was a christian for many years sandgirl, so don't say I have no understanding. You are the one with the blinders on that will not accept anything that is not in your bible. Believe what you want, but I am always ready to accept new ideas. Obviously you are not.

The evidence I have seen from you indicates otherwise.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
The evidence I have seen from you indicates otherwise.
So, rather that address my post you prefer to attack me personally..Is that it? Is that because I have proven you wrong?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Actually, you'll find a significant portion of atheists were believers of some sort.

I know I was at one point considering priesthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality