Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 09:13 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Freethinking = Believing what you want to believe.
You are clearly an in-the-box thinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 09:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You are clearly an in-the-box thinker.
If the box is the one containing the facts, then I'm there.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:17 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I very much agree with you about Katzpur. I've had a bit of an interest (as an observer) in Mormonism because I grew up in the town where Mormonism was born. Katzpur's posts often inspire.
Yes Katzpurs posts are always really thoughtful.
She is very knowledgeable about her religion and is very open to answering questions and sharing what she knows.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:22 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If the box is the one containing the facts, then I'm there.
Except that's not what that term means. In fact, that's pretty much the opposite of what that term means.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The recent passing of one of our long time members of the forum had me thinking about old conversations from years ago. I thought about how my viewpoint and understanding of others has evolved.

I'm more solid in my atheism than ever I was but I have a far better understanding of why others believe what they do. It really was a completely mystery to me before. It's actually helped me make peace with it in my own mind. A bit like checking off a box mentally and being able to put it aside.
I understand now how people are able to embrace science AND believe in god at the same time.
I understand how religions which to me are (sorry) completely bonkers can, in the minds of those people, enhance their lives and make them better people. In fact I think they would have been great people without their religion, but if people want to belive that their religion is the cause, I'm not going to argue with that.

I'm interested to know what others have learned from being a part of the forum?
I went from Atheist to Theist.
I had a forum member hip me to the fact that "God" is not limited to just the Deities and mythological creatures in ancient writings...and does objectively exist.
I also learned that Theism Derangement Syndrome (Godophobia is the main symptom) is a real affliction...and much more prevalent than I would have ever supposed.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I had a forum member hip me to the fact that "God" is not limited to just the Deities and mythological creatures in ancient writings...and does objectively exist.
I also learned that Theism Derangement Syndrome (Godophobia is the main symptom) is a real affliction...and much more prevalent than I would have ever supposed.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yes. I think I got to know Woodrow at the height of all that Islamic extremism. It was very frightening. I think a lot of posters came here for answers about that. Another poster would have run a mile, but Woodrow never did. He just explained patiently and with grace how those extremists had nothing to do with the peaceful religion he knew.
Yes. LI was a really nice guy (still on my friendship list) even though we disagreed about Islam. I remember a long debate about the Quran "Let him write another like it" and I learned enough about the origins of the book to come up with an explanation, which he of course didn't credit for an instant. But it was always amicable and respectful.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:06 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, at least you now admit you are a theist. The 'conversion' being (and I can recall the progress to this) being based on a persistent dislike if Liberal' politics which you saw 'New' atheism as being related to.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:43 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, at least you now admit you are a theist. The 'conversion' being (and I can recall the progress to this) being based on a persistent dislike if Liberal' politics which you saw 'New' atheism as being related to.
Who knew using a dictionary was known as 'Theism Derangement Syndrome'?

I believe a symptom of those suffering from Notagodophobia is an allergy to definitions.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 11-24-2020 at 04:26 AM..

Old 11-24-2020, 04:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He always said he was a theist. As to the mixing of the two ... it does seem politics is inter twined. For me, I only bring it up when you guys keep making it seem like like far right and belief as, like, same thing.

they are not.

and using politics to immunize a god claim (I couldn't resist leaving the spell check's choice) and not actual evidence is a political trick. Its why this forum (this section) is not really about religion/spirituality as much as it is a political movement to fight religion. Which is fine, but I think being more open and honest about it in the title would be more appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality