Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Hiding usually means deception. If God is an alien, chances are they would be more intelligent and view us like animals. They would use our planet for its resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
The fact that we cannot detect something does not necessarily mean it is hiding.
It only means we cannot see it.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Because we are incapable of even fully knowing each other, to some degree faith (trust) is a fundamental ingredient in all relationships. When I'm a passenger in someone else's car, and they drive faster than I would, I have to trust that they'll act in my best interest while they're driving.

If we have to trust our fellow human beings, how much more so would we have to trust an infinite God? Even if He did fully reveal Himself we couldn't fully know Him.

Even as we can have meaningful relationships with those around us that we have grown to trust because of our knowledge of them and of their character, God has revealed enough about Himself through His creation (Romans 1:18-21), through His written word, the Bible (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:16-21), and through His Son (John 14:9) that we can enter into a meaningful relationship with Him.

God did reveal Himself more to the Israelites when they fled the Egyptians. He did it by sending the plagues on the Egyptians, by feeding them with manna, by providing water when Moses struck a rock and by parting the Red Sea so they could make their escape. Even with all that, the Israelites still refused to trust Him when He wanted them to enter into the Promised Land.

God's further revealing Himself to us would have no more effect on our ability to trust Him. If God interacted in a similar fashion with all of the people living today, we would respond no differently than the Israelites...our sinful hearts are the same as theirs.

In Revelation, it says that Jesus will return for a 1,000 year Millennial reign with perfect justice and righteousness. But at the end of that 1,000 years, it says that Satan will have no trouble raising up an army of men against God. So there is a future example of Jesus being physically with us and how some people will still turn against Him.

So, the problem, according to Exodus and Revelation, isn't that God isn't revealing Himself fully to us. The problem is in our sinful nature and wanting to be our own self-rulers. God has already shown enough of Himself to be omnipotent and trustworthy. But, as with the Israelites, it's up to us to trust Him or not. The choice is ours.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 AM

327 posts, read 755,247 times
It's kinda hard to do that when you're not real

Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM

431 posts, read 1,641,666 times
In my opinion God shows himself to us everyday when we look out our windows and see the trees, our families and everything we have. Every time you hear of someone just escaping death is just another time that God has shown himself. We are just to self absorbed to give him credit for all of the Good that God has done for all of us. God has a plan for all of us we just don't know what it is yet. and if God were to show himself to you would you believe it was him or would you just try to debunk it? It is all about having faith.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 AM

123 posts, read 303,889 times
Default Definitely Kafkaesque.

It would happen, but nobody would believe you.

Nevertheless, God may be doing good in the world if there is accomplished self-confirmed forms of trust (not the machined groomed sort for checking accounts of one another); how would he meaningfully appear save in that very other person.

He shows himself to the important people; but I'm just not important enough to get apologies from Him.

Oh well, somebody once apologized on the computer once; at once there was a spam message of the Democratic national caucus requesting money for it's campaigns (who knows which one).

Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Hiding usually means deception. If God is an alien, chances are they would be more intelligent and view us like animals. They would use our planet for its resources.

Maybe it's like one of the bacterium within you asking why nebulous1 doesn't reveal herself

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,916 times
He has shown Himself to all of us in innumerable ways....it is you who have chosen to not see it.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Until man can create a human, a flower, an animal, a planet in the sky, and create an environment to sustain his "creation" from absolutely nothing, I will continue in my faith that God shows Himself to me in this awesome creation that belongs to Him

Old 05-05-2008, 04:04 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Man has created many plants, not just flowers. Actually your produce department would be empty if they were not there, and many the world over would have already died of starvation. I also suspect that dogs didn't occur naturally do you?

But I think this is taking it too far...

Scientists create animals that are part-human - Cloning and stem cells - MSNBC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality