Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:29 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your belief in that is (partly) why nobody likes you.
I like him. He's worth two divisions to atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 01:31 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Did you read the sentences I bolded? You are telling me what I can and can't believe. That's hypocritical to whine about me doing that while you do the same.

I believe that my belief is exclusive. And when it comes down to it, you also believe your belief is exclusive. I don't believe that it's logically consistent for God to exist as a mutually exclusive idea. It's not possible. You seem to hold to this idea that it's irrelevant, and that what I believe is wrong, but you are not willing to be told the same thing. That's rude.
I am not telling you what to believe. I am telling you not everybody believes like you do. Period. BTW, every belief is exclusive to the person who believes it. It's neither right nor wrong. It just is. If it makes you feel better you can tell me I'm wrong. But I think you've done that plenty already.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I am not telling you what to believe. I am telling you not everybody believes like you do. Period. BTW, every belief is exclusive to the person who believes it. It's neither right nor wrong. It just is. If it makes you feel better you can tell me I'm wrong. But I think you've done that plenty already.
Of course you're telling me what to believe. You're telling me that I can't believe an exclusivistic view of God.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:36 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Of course you're telling me what to believe. You're telling me that I can't believe an exclusivistic view of God.
Of course you can have an exclusive view of God and you can be wrong, too. God will be the judge. What is your answer to the post below?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How exactly do you know it, BapFun? When did you meet God? When did He reveal it to YOU?
<crickets>

Old 11-24-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sure you can. I've never said you can't believe that. I'm saying don't expect everybody to.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Sure you can. I've never said you can't believe that. I'm saying don't expect everybody to.
Right. So you take this back?

Quote:
And nobody has the right to say which one of those belief systems is correct.
Or is it only correct when you say it?

Old 11-24-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When did the god-idea catch hold. This article has some thoughts on that:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/b...=pocket-newtab
It's interesting to look at the archaeology of religion so to speak and see what it can tell us about the development of religion.

Old Stone age - concern with the dead. Burial practices.

New stone age Ancestor worship, a fertility -based matriarchy, perhaps.

Bronze age. The arrival of the human gods, God -kings and families of gods

Iron age, one god or Top God at least.

I have a theory ... ...that the Abrahamic God (originally a fairly bogstandard Canaanite tribal god, wife and all) was made the only god the Israelites should worship as a way of keeping their identity separate from the others. This later on became the Hebrew Tribal god becoming to Top God out of all the others and finally, the only real god, all the others being false. Probably quite late - perhaps during the sojourn in Babylon or even later.

That it had invented the perfect method of being Different from all the other tribes together with the genius of Paul who sold it to the Greeks and the remarkable popular appeal eventually made it the religion of Rome and Islam latching on to that - the two most aggressively evangelical religions ever - other than Chinese Confucianism, perhaps (Hinduism being more spread by Royalty finding its' impressive pomp very useful) and that has rather made monotheism look as though it is the only possible kind of religion, but in fact exclusive monotheism is really a later development.

That's my theory, anyway

Old 11-24-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Take what back? The part where I say you can believe anything you want? Or the part where I say don't expect everybody else to? And no, you nor I can tell anyone else what they should believe.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Trobesmom never said it in the first place.

Quote:
It's correct when the evidence backs it up.

Two divisions.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Take what back? The part where I say you can believe anything you want? Or the part where I say don't expect everybody else to? And no, you nor I can tell anyone else what they should believe.
It's mind boggling how you seem to be immune to basic logical thinking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality