Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 05:43 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
If there is such a thing as life after death/eternal life then simply believing something will have nothing to do with it. There either is an afterlife or their is not. No amount of believing the right things in the right way will make any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 07:36 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
If there is such a thing as life after death/eternal life then simply believing something will have nothing to do with it. There either is an afterlife or their is not. No amount of believing the right things in the right way will make any difference.
Simple belief, yes, but a heartfelt belief that changes your life is another story.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Simple belief, yes, but a heartfelt belief that changes your life is another story.
You hope.

Desperately.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:35 AM

10,906 posts, read 5,880,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Well, I met a man who's life was changed, so I can agree with you. I saw something that seemed to me to be meaningful and I would not want to take it away from him or anyone. But, that heartfelt belief affects a person's life here and now in this life and I think that is what you mean? I should add that this man did not try to prosthelytize. I actually developed a respect for him. He taught me something.

Anyway, drifting off topic here.

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-09-2021 at 01:43 AM..

Old 01-09-2021, 08:20 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
We are indeed. The appeal to how it changes people (not always for the better) is not the topic, but the morality of eternal torment is. Though I suspect that we have Done it by now.

Eternal torment for evildoers is too much. Even the worst of monsters might pay their dept in the end. And that doesn't even address the habirual short -sightedness of Christian dogma and doctrine. People would all be topping themselves to be with Jesus as son as possible (if they Really believed, that is ) and it's only this Unwritten Rule that thou shalt not polish thyself off because that's cheating and you won't get to heaven. The only short cut being martyrdom. I you get martyred, then that's ok. And you can go seek martyrdom in quite a few ways even today. Thus those evil people who behead or gun down true believers are doing a good deed by martyring the faithful and sending them to heaven.

It's like the damning and cursing of those who got Jesus on the cross, without which salvation wouldn't have happened. It was those who wanted or tried to save Jesus that were doing the devil's work, but the fact is that the average Christian 'thinks as men think, not as God thinks', and those who are a bit smarter, keep quiet about it. Their income depends upon it.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:37 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times
Quote:
Agreed. And NOT believing in something has as much effect, as well. We're in agreement on that.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:44 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Quote:
Well, I met a man who's life was changed, so I can agree with you. I saw something that seemed to me to be meaningful and I would not want to take it away from him or anyone. But, that heartfelt belief affects a person's life here and now in this life and I think that is what you mean? I should add that this man did not try to prosthelytize. I actually developed a respect for him. He taught me something.

Anyway, drifting off topic here.
I should have added (to my post) that I absolutely get this. I have met (an been friends with) a number of Christians and we did debate the matter, but they ended up with laughing and agreeing to differ. I'm not sure that it changed their life too much. I think they may have been less grumpy about Life because it was All Good, no matter how bad. I prefer the realities to cozy delusions, but that's an individual choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Agreed. And NOT believing in something has as much effect, as well. We're in agreement on that.
It does. As remarked before now, dropping a god -belief can raise a whole reassessment of how one thinks and lives. That is what atheists Do; it is not what atheism (by definition) Is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality