Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:06 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times

Advertisements

https://www.kmbc.com/article/parents...mast/35083625#

The poor girl was beaten with a belt over many days, and dipped in ice water. Why? Because the parents asked the neighbors to get rid of her demons. Those parents and their 2 year old were also beaten.

How demented is this religion they adhere to????? I am just sickened by this. Just sickened!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 12:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.kmbc.com/article/parents...mast/35083625#

The poor girl was beaten with a belt over many days, and dipped in ice water. Why? Because the parents asked the neighbors to get rid of her demons. Those parents and their 2 year old were also beaten.

How demented is this religion they adhere to????? I am just sickened by this. Just sickened!
Let's try to be honest and accurate here. What church do they belong to? I saw nothing in the article to suggest they're "Fundamental Christians". They mentioned God and a demon. Yet, there is nothing to suggest that they're Christians.

If you maintain that they are Christians, and their Christianity taught them to do this, please cite chapter and verse, or a quote from their statement of faith to suggest that they were following their Christian dogma.

The fact is, this is a horrible, terrible thing. They likely did what they did based on fear and superstition, likely fueled by drugs, such as meth. That tells me that they are likely closer to being unchurched pagans than they are Christians.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:54 PM

50,800 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's try to be honest and accurate here. What church do they belong to? I saw nothing in the article to suggest they're "Fundamental Christians". They mentioned God and a demon. Yet, there is nothing to suggest that they're Christians.

If you maintain that they are Christians, and their Christianity taught them to do this, please cite chapter and verse, or a quote from their statement of faith to suggest that they were following their Christian dogma.

The fact is, this is a horrible, terrible thing. They likely did what they did based on fear and superstition, likely fueled by drugs, such as meth. That tells me that they are likely closer to being unchurched pagans than they are Christians.
You have no evidence for that.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:54 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
That's so sad. Those crazies convinced the parents to let them do this to their children. Stories like this are one of the reasons we don't let religious people use that as an excuse to abuse their children.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You have no evidence for that.
About as much as exists to suggest that they are fundamentalist Christians. But that didn't stop the OP from making the statement.

But I DO know that Christianity does not teach such a thing, and the article did not make any connection between them and any form of Christianity whatsoever. So IN MY OPINION, the are likely a couple of meth-addict pagans. Notice I said "that tells me they are likely..."? I did not say that I knew them to be so. But it's my opinion only.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's so sad. Those crazies convinced the parents to let them do this to their children. Stories like this are one of the reasons we don't let religious people use that as an excuse to abuse their children.
How do you know they're religious? There is nothing in the text to suggest they've EVER been in a church in their lives.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:01 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
How do you know they're religious? There is nothing in the text to suggest they've EVER been in a church in their lives.
Demons?

Old 12-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Demons?
Many religions teach the existence of demons.

Many unchurched people in America believe in angels and demons. There are all sorts of movies and tv shows based on the concept. Or remember the angels craze of about 20 years ago? Remember Roma Downey's tv show?

Next?

Old 12-29-2020, 01:11 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
This is awful! I didn't see any mention of this in the story but it really sounds like the vileness somebody on some hardcore mind-altering drugs like Meth, PCP, etc. would do that has nothing to do with the religious reason these subjects are claiming.

You hear stories of people coming up with these deeply evil, horrendous, and bizarrely stupid ideas and there's often some sort of drug issue like this going on.

And looking at the subjects' mugshots, you can see the male has bags under his eyes as if he hasn't slept in a while and the female's skin looks pasty and unhealthy and her eyes look sunken.

Last edited by Jowel; 12-29-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 01:11 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Where would they get the idea that their children were possessed by demons that needed to be cast out? Every sane and mature parent knows that their 2-year-old or four-year-old children throw tantrums and such that act very much like little demon-possessed devils. It takes ignorant, or immature, or insane, or superstitious, and or religious parents to engage in casting out demons from them, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality